Am I looking for acetone or acetone free for heavy removal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulamaula

Reaction score
Hi All,

So last night was a challenge. Removing Bluesky from my client, it took an hour. I asked the question yesterday on here about the very same issue. But I have the same type of customer coming tonight so im in for round 2! I have a UV remover and the CND Nourishing remover, they are just not strong enough to get it off. Do I need to just buy ordinary Nail varnish remover ? And is cotton wool best to soak it in ? ( last night I was using lint free little wipes)

Thanks for all your help, I feel like Im on here forever but Im just starting out and a ball of nerves:))

I'd probably buff the top layer and then use cotton pads soaked in acetone. I cut each pad up into 4, soak in acetone, then wrap each nail in foil, shiny side in. Leave for about 15-20 mins then give each one a rub and it should just come away.

I'd probably buff the top layer and then use cotton pads soaked in acetone. I cut each pad up into 4, soak in acetone, then wrap each nail in foil, shiny side in. Leave for about 15-20 mins then give each one a rub and it should just come away.
Thankyou...so just rounds of cotton wool? And shiny side of the foil in?

Yeah just cut each round into 4, saves on cotton wool as you'll only need 3 rounds per set. Shiny side in is the way I was trained, something about generating more heat and helping the acetone to work. Leave on for as long as you can. Hope that helps.

You want pure acetone for removal like this. Try using heat too. Heat pad when the wraps are on.

Ive removed quite a bit of bluesky (unfortunately), I found giving it a quick file first, remove most if not all the topcoat, the like the girls said above soak cut up cotton wool in pure acetone, wrap in tin foil, if you can wrap the hands up in a towel as well that would help it remove faster. Then leave for 15-20 mins, remove one foil, and scape polish off with a metal cuticle pusher, once its all removed, move onto the next nail, remove foil and repeat.
If you find after 15-20 mins its still not all coming off, leave the others and rewrap the first for another 5 mins.

CND nourishing remover is pure acetone, it just has macadamia oil infused with it. This makes it kinder to nails and also stops the acetone evaporating as quickly so it actually makes removal of any gel polish quicker.

The problem here is not your remover, It's the product they already have on their nails. As others have said make sure you file the top coat off, it is acetone resistant so a quick buff won't do you must file through to the colour coat of the product to ensure the acetone can get to the product.

Wheat bags can also help speed up removal by adding heat, but to be honest this is just part and parcel of cheap gel polish. I now charge for every 15 mins of removal time, I know your just starting out and trying to gain clients but be careful your not working for penny's with these clients.

File to top layer and then use cotton pats with pure acetone for 10-12 minutes.

CND nourishing remover is pure acetone, it just has macadamia oil infused with it. This makes it kinder to nails and also stops the acetone evaporating as quickly so it actually makes removal of any gel polish quicker.

The problem here is not your remover, It's the product they already have on their nails. As others have said make sure you file the top coat off, it is acetone resistant so a quick buff won't do you must file through to the colour coat of the product to ensure the acetone can get to the product.

Wheat bags can also help speed up removal by adding heat, but to be honest this is just part and parcel of cheap gel polish. I now charge for every 15 mins of removal time, I know your just starting out and trying to gain clients but be careful your not working for penny's with these clients.
I would totally agree with what noreenoconnor has put...
You will probably find that you need to file the top coat off, but be very, very careful that you don't over file. My sister ended up with a very sore thumb last year due to this (it wasn't me!).

Latest posts

Back