Am I paying too much to rent a nail tech chair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jillb217

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a nail tech but renting a chair in a hair salon which is an extremely affluent area of a major city. The salon is in a high traffic area so lots of passing trade and the salon owner has a large number of long term clients. However, I'm new to renting and don't know what the going rate is. I've been told by a couple of other nail techs today that the amount I'm being charged is extortionate.
Basically I pay a £20 a day charge plus £5 per client. I provide all nail related products. Salon owner (brand new recently refurbished salon) has provided tables/chairs/screens/utilities/refreshments and does all bookings (actively encourages client to have nails done while in for hair). My first month in the salon is free of charge.
Please can I have your thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

Do you get to set your own prices? You need to sit down and work out what profit you would make on treatments based on your prices and the time it is going to take you to do them and then ask yourself if you can make a wage from it x

Do you get to set your own prices? You need to sit down and work out what profit you would make on treatments based on your prices and the time it is going to take you to do them and then ask yourself if you can make a wage from it x
Yes I set my own prices. I've done a quick spreadsheet showing what I'd make for x number of clients per day. I'd need to have 4 clients per day for a standard gel mani to be earning minimum wage...below this I'm making very little/making a loss. I'm thinking of giving it until January to see if it's do-able/how many clients I have per week on average. I'm only working 2 days per week plus 1 Saturday per month so the risk isn't huge and I can take a loss for a month or two as also work from home. I've known the salon owner for decades so we know each other pretty well and I feel like I can be totally honest with her. I'm thinking of sharing my spreadsheet with her as I don't think she's looked at the detail of how much her self employed nail techs will actually be earning. I'm certain she wouldn't work for minimum wage! If I'm not making at least minimum wage (realistically I want £10 per hour min) then I'd have to call it a day. Does this sound reasonable? I really appreciate the feedback.

Yes I set my own prices. I've done a quick spreadsheet showing what I'd make for x number of clients per day. I'd need to have 4 clients per day for a standard gel mani to be earning minimum wage...below this I'm making very little/making a loss. I'm thinking of giving it until January to see if it's do-able/how many clients I have per week on average. I'm only working 2 days per week plus 1 Saturday per month so the risk isn't huge and I can take a loss for a month or two as also work from home. I've known the salon owner for decades so we know each other pretty well and I feel like I can be totally honest with her. I'm thinking of sharing my spreadsheet with her as I don't think she's looked at the detail of how much her self employed nail techs will actually be earning. I'm certain she wouldn't work for minimum wage! If I'm not making at least minimum wage (realistically I want £10 per hour min) then I'd have to call it a day. Does this sound reasonable? I really appreciate the feedback.

I think that is totally reasonable and I agree I would not work for min wage you are worth so much more than that. If you know her well then I would be tempted to negotiate with her and maybe ask for the £5 per client to be wavered. I think a standard day rate should be enough especially as you are providing your own products. Or maybe a % of your earnings and no standard rate. I pay a % for the space that I rent and also provide all my own products. I also have to get my own clients etc although the salon owner does recommend me a lot. Do you think that with the class of clientele that your prices could be increased a little to compensate if the salon owner doesn't want to budge on the rent? x

I charge 25%....
whatever is earnt I get 25% from my tech to cover rent and I supply all stock

I think that is totally reasonable and I agree I would not work for min wage you are worth so much more than that. If you know her well then I would be tempted to negotiate with her and maybe ask for the £5 per client to be wavered. I think a standard day rate should be enough especially as you are providing your own products. Or maybe a % of your earnings and no standard rate. I pay a % for the space that I rent and also provide all my own products. I also have to get my own clients etc although the salon owner does recommend me a lot. Do you think that with the class of clientele that your prices could be increased a little to compensate if the salon owner doesn't want to budge on the rent? x
Yes I think I'll have a chat with her. As I'm new to the industry I don't think I can increase my prices just yet but definitely an option. Thanks!

Hi,
I'm a nail tech but renting a chair in a hair salon which is an extremely affluent area of a major city. The salon is in a high traffic area so lots of passing trade and the salon owner has a large number of long term clients. However, I'm new to renting and don't know what the going rate is. I've been told by a couple of other nail techs today that the amount I'm being charged is extortionate.
Basically I pay a £20 a day charge plus £5 per client. I provide all nail related products. Salon owner (brand new recently refurbished salon) has provided tables/chairs/screens/utilities/refreshments and does all bookings (actively encourages client to have nails done while in for hair). My first month in the salon is free of charge.
Please can I have your thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.
My nail techs bring me clients too. If they are good at their job I have them booking with the therapists for other treatments. I charge £80 per week and I provide station, chairs and screens. We both take bookings as they come. No charge per client as they provide products.

Yes I think I'll have a chat with her. As I'm new to the industry I don't think I can increase my prices just yet but definitely an option. Thanks!

See if you can get her to knock the £5 per client off because £20 a day rent is a standard amount. If you do 6 clients a day, she’s taking £50 which is a lot unless you’re a high end city salon and charging top prices for your services.

Latest posts

Back