Am I too old to enter the beauty industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 58. I didn't start beauty school until I was 30. I have been a salon professional almost 30 years. My mother retired from the restaurant industry and was bored. She went to beauty school at 62. Became a nail tech and was a successful salon pro until she retired at 72. So do YOU think you are too old? If you like what you are doing you are never too old.

You should print these responses out and show them to your colleague!! Give her an education!!! :mad:

When I was at college the oldest lady in my class was around 60, and she was brilliant! She was the life & soul of the class, and really helped us all out if she could, and the clients loved her. As plenty of geeks have already mentioned, she had the life experience & maturity to deal with clients and situations far better than some of the youngsters, and a lot of clients prefer that. A therapist who is out of her teens often does better in attracting loyal clients; you may be seen as a better therapist, more experienced, more trustworthy, and more tactful/discrete. That's not to say all young therapists are inexperienced etc, but that's often the way we are perceived by clients initially. So make the most of it!!

Go for it, all the Geeks are here to back you up and support you 100%, and as one of my clients says, "You're a long time dead!" There's no point living a life you don't enjoy, or doing a job you don't enjoy, if you have the power to make a change to it...so make waves, and sign up to that course!! :hug:

A more mature therapist is a comfort for many clients, especially those who have had babies, are a bit overweight or have other body issues.

One of my clients was a bit coy having a high bikini, when I asked her to move her leg she said ' you can't go down there, I've had two babies' - my reply was 'yeah, yeah, haven't we all, lift your leg' - she just burst out laughing!

You have life experience and are used to working in a caring environment - you'll be great - believe in yourself & ignore the doubters.

WOW !!! have only just come back to this post .. what a lot of positive responses .. well, i shant think twice about continuing my studies now
i dont usually let other peoples remarks or comments put me off or upset me, just feeling a little fragile and unsure where to go next after a personal tragedy .. also, must say not looking forward to reaching the big 40 so i guess my colleagues off the cuff comment fuelled my insecurities
do you know what, i think she probably is jealous that i have decided to try and realise my dream .. she is slightly older than me, and one of these people that moans about work every hour of every day, but will probably be there until she retires
right im going to have a good look around at various beauty courses locally, any recs in the cambs / essex borders would be much appreciated - thinking of doing creative natural nail manicure course, has anyone done this ? also can anyone recommend training for spray tanning?
many thanks for all your inspiring and kind replies
blush09

i currently work as a health care assistant, have recently qualified as a makeup artist and was planning to take further training in other fields of beauty but a colleague commented that perhaps im too old to offer beauty treatments .. im almost 40 :cry:

this has really put me off my stroke, i wanted to learn other beauty skills as i thought makeup wouldnt be so popular during the recession, am i really too old ? how long can i realistically work as a beauty therapist if i do decide to go for it? and can any of you recommend any popular beauty treatments that a customer wouldnt mind an oldie like me performing on them? i was thinking manicures, pedicures and facials

many thanks
blush09

it is never too late to learn!!! never let anyone put you down! Go for it girl!

g.lo

Hi
Im 40 and started in this industry when I was 38, qualified last year in Level 2 beauty therapy and Ive just started level 3 massage. Do not listen to these people. Why are there such nasty peeps around? I have a relative who wanted to know why I was starting something at my age. I couldnt repeat the response on here cos I'd get a good ticking off! :smack:

My ex hubby said I was a useless so and so that would amount to nothing. Thanks to that kinda comment I went to weight watchers and lost 5 stones, went to college and did my beauty therapy and Im not looking back.

Age is only a number that puts fear in to us, ignore your age, you are what you feel, or the fella

i currently work as a health care assistant, have recently qualified as a makeup artist and was planning to take further training in other fields of beauty but a colleague commented that perhaps im too old to offer beauty treatments .. im almost 40 :cry:

this has really put me off my stroke, i wanted to learn other beauty skills as i thought makeup wouldnt be so popular during the recession, am i really too old ? how long can i realistically work as a beauty therapist if i do decide to go for it? and can any of you recommend any popular beauty treatments that a customer wouldnt mind an oldie like me performing on them? i was thinking manicures, pedicures and facials

many thanks
blush09

Hi Blush
All i can say is don't lisen to these people this is all tosh, My partner and i set up a salon some 5 years ago when she was 39 and she came out of the banking industry and since then we have 2 salons and have won quite a few awards to boot. As long as your dedicted and you have a passion you will do well although it's not easy, it is worth it.
We employ all ages and i think clients like alder for waxing etc as this makes them feel less embarassed.
Nail's are always popular with all types of clients but it is a learning curve as you continually learn with this and it takes a lot of set's to get your speed up.
Just remember little step's all the time is the way forward.
Mobile can be hard work as you get older getting everything in and out of the car. I would say a base is best as you get older can carry on untill you wish to stop or can get some help in as the buisness grows and you can pick what and ho you do.
I hope this helps and good luck.

My mum and I did a course together, she was 60 when she qualified as a nail tech and I was 37 so age is no excluder. Follow your dreams and dont let any small minded person tell you otherwise.

Karaxxx

WOW !!! have only just come back to this post .. what a lot of positive responses .. well, i shant think twice about continuing my studies now
i dont usually let other peoples remarks or comments put me off or upset me, just feeling a little fragile and unsure where to go next after a personal tragedy .. also, must say not looking forward to reaching the big 40 so i guess my colleagues off the cuff comment fuelled my insecurities
do you know what, i think she probably is jealous that i have decided to try and realise my dream .. she is slightly older than me, and one of these people that moans about work every hour of every day, but will probably be there until she retires
right im going to have a good look around at various beauty courses locally, any recs in the cambs / essex borders would be much appreciated - thinking of doing creative natural nail manicure course, has anyone done this ? also can anyone recommend training for spray tanning?

Hi Blush

Check with your local aston & Fincher to see if there doing a coursre or any other beauty supplier as these tend to use the product that is hot at the moment.
Nothing worse than doing a course with a product and buying the stock and every one has gone of that and onto another product.

Regards
Andrew

also can anyone recommend training for spray tanning?
many thanks for all your inspiring and kind replies
blush09
Yes - go for Tantrick, we do it at my salon and clients love it. Contact Collin on this site, he will give you more info and is very helpful.

Im 44 and actually qualified in Beauty way back in1988!! Since then life changes..kids..divorce..poor health,etc has set me back. For the last few years Ive been studying at night class and have passed my VTCT Cert & Dip in Aromatherapy, VTCT in Nail Treatments and Nail Art and am at present now doing the VTCT Nail extensions..with the full time Beauty Therapy day class who are all 16-17.! Its great..was awkward the first day as they all thought I was the teacher!..but now we all chat away and get on fine.Because of this and chatting with the tutors, I am considering going back to college full time in Sep and updating my City and Guilds Beauty for NVQ!! We all deserve a second chance..a fresh start..so go for it. I have LOTS of doubts and worries..mainly about my poor health..will I be able to cope? etc..but I wont know unless I try ! Good luck :)

I am coming up to 47 and I only entered the beauty industry last year, having been in holistics for ten years. i have a small salon and only me working there. Many of my clients like being treated by an older therapist as it makes them feel more comfortable. Some clients have come to me from big swish spa like salons because they appreciate a more mature and friendly service rather than young girls (I'm sure that they aren't geekettes!!) who don't really care about the person. So go for it girl and enjoy your new career. It'll be worth it!!!:lol:

Hi hun.

Agree with everything else that's been said. I also wanna tell you, I'm very nearly 39 and when I was 33 I started in the industry, a lady in my class was 50. We were on a full time course with 16 & 17 year olds. They voted us as class rep and deputy, they all thought we knew what we were doing more than them! I really enjoyed it.

I've just put a deposit on an Urban Tan spray tan kit and training, I'll put in my blog how it went. As soon as I mentioned it at college, people were nearly jumping on my lap begging to be my models!

I've also sent you a private message re manicure training in your area.

Good luck hun, I also started my route into this world with make up artistry!:hug:

I was 50 when I trained, and I found that ladies loved to be treated by an older lady, after all, we see all these unobtainable photos in glossy mags of stick thin beautiful women, and often ladies with 'not so prefect' bodies feel inferior. If you are an older lady offering services, then they often feel very comfortable with you as you too may not have that 'perfect body'. I think that if I had to strip off in front of a total stranger, I would rather do it in front of an older lady with a few more curves and the odd wrinkle, instead of having to get my kit off in front of a lithe young slim gorgeous blonde. (appoligies to all you gorgeous young fit blondes out there). This is only my opinion, and also things I was told by some of my clients.

Hi i am 40 this year lol

I qualified last year and have just opened my own salon...

TOO OLD !!!!!!! lol lol

Of course you are not too old

After all age is just a number

So is your co worker saying that peeps over, what, say 30 don't wear makeup, get there nails done? wax?????? Give up having their hair cut???
If I am going to ask someone about makeup I am more likely to seek out someone in my own age group then someone younger, that's not a slight on any of our many 20 something geeks its just that I feel that someone in my age bracket is more likely to understand what I'm trying to achieve. My hair dresser is older because and I can have a good old chat with her and when I was still a practicing nail tech my older clients loved the fact that I was there for them, the fact that I was in their age bracket made them feel a lot more comfortable and a lot more confident that I would give them something they would like.
Don't let anyone hold you back hun, especially with comments like that:hug:
By the way, I'm 46 this year.

i'm not a professional, so i will speak from the client's point of view...

if i had the choice between a 19 year old or a 40 year old therapist, then i would choose the 40 year old every time.

i'm 35...what the hell could i chat about with a 19 year old? :lol:

seriously though, i think that every person should follow their dreams...and that colleague is just way jealous that you are doing something with your life.

good luck honey!

jue x

i think u r, if u think u r.....

take up scrabble and knitting ......:rolleyes:

I became an Esthetician in my 40s! (53 now)

Actually our target market is our age group! We're the baby boomers, and who can understand their skin problems better than us?!

Not wanting to step on anyones toes now, (this is only my 2nd post here:lol:) but I believe that most clients with more mature skin prefer an older Esthetician with the same issues.

Latest posts

Back