Am I wasting my time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ophala

Reaction score
I'm feeling really down about my nail abilities.

It's taking me 45 mins this eve (and roughly the same yesterday) to buff the gel off just one nail (this is on myself). i find it really difficult, especially to get the angle, and then i make the skin around my finger sore from friction. plus i think i've overfiled the nail plate on one of my fingers.

i keep changing my mind as to which system i want to practise most in to then go on to use on clients at the salon, at the moment i'm the only person i'm practicing on.

the problem is i do need more practise in everything but i'm working 6 days a week at the mo and don't want to spend my only day off practising.

to top it all off i'm going to have to do an NVQ course as my OPI certificates aren't recognised by the council. so that's lots more money and time that i don't have.........may have to cut my hours at my non nail job.

had anyone else had these problems......i keep thinking it's a sign to give up. but i've already spent sooooooo much money on training and products.

just needed to vent.......thanks for reading xx

Please don't give up. You are obviously determined Sophie and the very fact that you have posted this shows that.

I have recently had the same feelings as you but I am determined to do this and what's more do it well. Is it just gel you do or do you do l&p as well? If it is both then pick one and try and perfect it as best you can, using the other if you have to.

Your gel removal could be something as simple as the way you hold your abrasive, so have a look at the tutorials on here, when removing gel from yourself try and pull the sidewalls back and as the gel gets thinner, switch abrasives to a 240 and then you will not damage your nail plate.

Stick at it hun, you will get there :hug:

Don't give up! I think everyone has moments where they feel they will just never get it right. But remember if it's a good product you're using, it CAN be done!

Sometimes it can be the littlest things that make the difference. It is really hard when you're practicing on yourself - I am terrible at rebalancing my own nails because it's so hard to file on myself. Do you have any friends that would be guinea pigs? My mom was invaluable to me. And I knew she would forgive me if I made mistakes.

Also, maybe choosing one system to really master is the way to go for now.

Hang in there - it will get better. :hug::hug::hug:

no no no no no no noooooo!!!!! DONT give up, keep practising and you WILL get there in the end, I had a similar experience recently, but just keep on practising and you will get there, if you find that you really are not getting to grips with something, book some 1 to 1 with your trainer.

Its better to be critical, knowing that you can do better and striving to improve, than being complacent and thinking you are doing a fab job when you really aren't!

Good luck, you'll get there! :green:

Dont give up, why dont you run up a few flyers on the computer advertising for models, charge them about £10-£15 for a full set, that way you get experience and they get a very cheap set of nails! More practice for you!
xxx

thanks for all your replies.

the problem i have, apart from finding models, is time. i don't have time to practise with working 6 days a week.

i know it would be sensible to stick with one system but i can never decide which one would be best. i quite like gel as more time to play around with product before it cures, which is easier on myself. but i don't like that it's buff off and so time consuming.

acrylic - i like that it soaks off and i have loads of coloured powders, but dont like that it sticks the house out and will also stick the salon out if i do it there.

wraps - i like the natural look and soak off but find it very fiddely and i'm not great with tips!!

i can't decide which one to stick at, i keep changing my mind with what to put on myself!

the problem i have, apart from finding models, is time. i don't have time to practise with working 6 days a week.

i know it would be sensible to stick with one system but i can never decide which one would be best. i quite like gel as more time to play around with product before it cures, which is easier on myself. but i don't like that it's buff off and so time consuming.

acrylic - i like that it soaks off and i have loads of coloured powders, but dont like that it sticks the house out and will also stick the salon out if i do it there.

wraps - i like the natural look and soak off but find it very fiddely and i'm not great with tips!!

i can't decide which one to stick at, i keep changing my mind with what to put on myself!

I know everyone's different, but why not keep going with all 3? Personally I intend to train in the other systems (I've only recently qualified in L&P). Different clients will want different things, and its good to be able to cater for everyone.
In relation to the time aspect, I know how hard this is, I have a job aswell. I fully intend to give up my job and become a full time nail tech at some point, but its hard to get the balance between needing to pay the bills, and needing time to focus all your energies on your new enterprise. Personally, I have gone part time at work, I now have the afternoons free to concentrate on nails, and I know at some point I'm going to have to jump in at the deep end and leave work completely. Its scary, as my income will drop, but I think that will give me the extra determination to make it work!! I know not everyone can afford to go part time, or have considerate employers who let you change your hours, but is that something you could consider??

With regards to filing gel off your dominant hand. . .

I'm right handed and when filing my right hand I tend to hold the file in my left hand and move my right hand up and down, rotating my right hand as I go, I seem to have a lot better control this way, hth x

I know everyone's different, but why not keep going with all 3? Personally I intend to train in the other systems (I've only recently qualified in L&P). Different clients will want different things, and its good to be able to cater for everyone.
In relation to the time aspect, I know how hard this is, I have a job aswell. I fully intend to give up my job and become a full time nail tech at some point, but its hard to get the balance between needing to pay the bills, and needing time to focus all your energies on your new enterprise. Personally, I have gone part time at work, I now have the afternoons free to concentrate on nails, and I know at some point I'm going to have to jump in at the deep end and leave work completely. Its scary, as my income will drop, but I think that will give me the extra determination to make it work!! I know not everyone can afford to go part time, or have considerate employers who let you change your hours, but is that something you could consider??

i have already cut back a bit. actually - that's a lie - i do the same hrs but over 4 days instead of 5.

i only work from 11-4.15 but that's in Covent Garden, which means I don't normally get home until 5.15/5.30, then there's no time before dinner and if i wait until after i'll be up until the early hours doing nails. i've just been talking to my mum about cutting back my hrs and it's something i've been thinking about for a while - like u i also want to be doing nails full time.

i just don't think i can afford it at the mo - with all my outgoings of nail stuff. i might have to though otherwise i don't think i'm going to see much improvement.

Its difficult to make the transition isnt it. One thing you may or may not have considered though, and I'm not extolling the virtues of jacking your job in and going on the dole here or anything, but have you looked into any supplementary benefits that you might be entitled to whilst you are a new nail tech, and will be earning little or no money? These could be just what you need to get you through until you build up a reasonable client base. Things such as working tax credit might be available to you:idea:

Its difficult to make the transition isnt it. One thing you may or may not have considered though, and I'm not extolling the virtues of jacking your job in and going on the dole here or anything, but have you looked into any supplementary benefits that you might be entitled to whilst you are a new nail tech, and will be earning little or no money? These could be just what you need to get you through until you build up a reasonable client base. Things such as working tax credit might be available to you:idea:

just had a very brief look and don't think i'd be eligable. i'm lucky in that i still live at home so there's certain stuff i don't have to worry about at the mo, so now might be an ideal time to cut hours. other problem is my bf is saving at the mo coz he's going travelling for 2 months next yr so he can't pay for me if we go out with friends etc!!!! will have to do something about my shoe-buying habit!!

You should have no problem finding models when you are only charging 10-15 per set girls will jump at the chance for a real bargain, and dont worry about the smell of acrylic, everyone expects it to have a smell its normal. But if you are that worried you can also try the odourless type! Please dont give up you are just going through a bad patch, which is normal also!

I'm right handed and when filing my right hand I tend to hold the file in my left hand and move my right hand up and down, rotating my right hand as I go, I seem to have a lot better control this way, hth x

I do this also and I though I was a bit weird!! Glad I am not the only one!

i do that! even before i started doing nails properly, when i used to buff my nails i'd do this. it's just getting into the side walls that's a bit awkward!

i'm feeling a little bit better after tonight, where i buffed off the gel on my 8 remanining nails (i did 2 yesterday) and then applied wraps.

i'm fairly pleased with how they look but am worried they'll crack, as that's what's happened in the past with my wraps.

Latest posts

Back