Am I worrying too much?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki Martin

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I am having a little panic :eek:

I have completed accredited training in some therapies. Whilst doing my nail tech levelIII course.

My plan is to have my own buisness, I have just started to advertise for customers and have a beauty room at home. I also have insurance.

I have made a fb page and am working towards web and other advertisements.

But..... even when you qualify it takes time to be experienced. So i have been honest on my posts and am offering reduced rates for a short period until i feel that I am quicker and more experienced. I have dated my offers too so I can increase my prices.

Also the trainer at nail tech said i can offer nails but only at a very small fee to cover the materials and stated this if people have been interested in any therapy that i have not been signed off of yet.

I am nervous of course but wondering if I should have just not mentioned about being a newbie. This all stems from a comment made by a qualified and more experienced beauty therapist stating one short course does not make you experienced.

Maybe i am being over cautious or over sensitive. What are your thoughts?

X

U need to stop worrying and focus on what you can do to feel more confident. A customer will sense your fears and how nervous you are and will feel the same too. Practice on lots of friends and family and take baby steps in my ❣

U need to stop worrying and focus on what you can do to feel more confident. A customer will sense your fears and how nervous you are and will feel the same too. Practice on lots of friends and family and take baby steps in my ❣

Thank you, I have been practising on anyone i can nail down lol.... x

Thank you, I have been practising on anyone i can nail down lol.... x

Do it! Even if you feel like doing another course then so be it! Always aim high and you don't need to sell yourself short either. It's good to be honest but don't let it be a flaw.

Yes you are overthinking it, she's right, a one day course does not make you experienced.... but it does make you qualified...(if it's a one day course)....experience comes with practise and time. If I'm told before I book that a treatment is with a newbie or trainee then I'm quite happy to expect a longer treatment or some nerves, etc. I book knowing that and it's my choice. Honesty is always the best policy, you will gain the necessary experience in time and can then start charging accordingly. Trust me you will know when the time has come to stop doubting yourself and charging full price. Good luck with your new venture :D

Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy!
Today's savvy client, really can smell your fear.:(
If you are honest and up front, you can use your 'Newbie' status as a bonus.
e.g. 'your fresh, new........ and buzzing with ideas' :D.

There is nothing to be gained by false claims,
"I've had YEARS of experience in ALL the top London Salons........" REALLY...?o_O

Thank you everyone, this has really helped.

I will keep going and it will come together x

Definitely say you're new and still practicing. In all my treatments I've advertised them at a lower price when just qualified so I can practice. I then feel comfortable charging the full price as I know the customer is getting what they paid for. I now have a handful of loyal clients who I feel invested in me when I first started out and were willing to be my test subject.

Keep going, stay slightly nervous, enjoy that belly flip at each stage, it will keep you on top of your game. It's when people get complacent mistakes happen and businesses fail. If you want it bad enough you'll succeed :)
2 of my favourite quotes.

"if your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough"

"if you think you can do it, or if you think you can't - either way you're right!"

Keep going, stay slightly nervous, enjoy that belly flip at each stage, it will keep you on top of your game. It's when people get complacent mistakes happen and businesses fail. If you want it bad enough you'll succeed :)
2 of my favourite quotes.

"if your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough"

"if you think you can do it, or if you think you can't - either way you're right!"

I like that if your dreams don't scare you there not big enough.....

I am starting with new clients today, and then during the week... so here goes !

I think everyone is right with being honest. I finished all my courses at the beginning of the year. What I did was post my prices (when I'm faster) and then told everybody or advertised everything at a discount because I am new. This way when I go to charge full price (because I've gained the experience) it won't be a huge shock to everybody.
But in my experience if you're good at what treatments you offer, people will come to you. Most of the clients I have now are all the same ones when I started my business in January. And with their tip they pretty much already are paying my full price. And they have told me that I am good at what I do, and they feel guilty paying at a discount - even tho I take longer and such.
But it'll get better and it sounds like you have a good game plan, it's the commitment of putting yourself out there that is the scariest and most exciting!

I think everyone is right with being honest. I finished all my courses at the beginning of the year. What I did was post my prices (when I'm faster) and then told everybody or advertised everything at a discount because I am new. This way when I go to charge full price (because I've gained the experience) it won't be a huge shock to everybody.
But in my experience if you're good at what treatments you offer, people will come to you. Most of the clients I have now are all the same ones when I started my business in January. And with their tip they pretty much already are paying my full price. And they have told me that I am good at what I do, and they feel guilty paying at a discount - even tho I take longer and such.
But it'll get better and it sounds like you have a good game plan, it's the commitment of putting yourself out there that is the scariest and most exciting!

Hi

I really have been honest and most people have been supportive. I know it will take time. I have two treatments tomorrow that I am very nervous about but excited too. Lash lift and tine. I am pretty sure it will be fine its just the fear of getting it wrong. Thank you for your advice x

Be honest and go for it. Everyone has to start somewhere. I actually prefer to employ newly qualified therapists as they are so excited and passionate about the industry where as some therapists (obviously not all of us) feel they know too much and don't wish to learn. Go out there with all the enthusiasm and ideas, you are qualified and practice makes perfect. L x

Latest posts

Back