Am looking for a soak off gel to go under Shellac for peeling nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abicrunch

Reaction score
Hi all

Im looking to purchase a soak off clear gel that I can put under shellac for clients that have peeling nails. I have a few clients where the shellac lasts about 1- 1.5 weeks and then chips because of their nails peeling or there nails breaking, so was thinking if I apply one or two coats of a gel before then this would help them last longer and stop there nails breaking as well. I use all of cnd products but I was after a soak off gel that just soaks off with the shellac, some of my clients dont want any buffing as there nails are thin enough.

I have looked into young nails and it seems they do a soak off gel think it is called mani Q but says about filing it first before soaking it off and this wouldnt be any good if it is under shellac, and just wondered if I apply this under shellac would it soak off easy.

Is there any other decent makes that I could use as well. Your help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Ax

Many find that an extra coat of Shellac top coat gives that bit of extra strength that some clients need to carry them through the full 2 weeks. This has been discussed in the Shellac Lovers group several times and people report success.

Many find that an extra coat of Shellac top coat gives that bit of extra strength that some clients need to carry them through the full 2 weeks. This has been discussed in the Shellac Lovers group several times and people report success.

Hi geeg, yes I do this for clients that have weak nails and I actually do this on myself because I feel better having an extra coat fro strength, but this isnt any good for clients with peeling nails, as there nails peel so does the shellac. I wish cnd would bring out a gel that soaks off because I would prefer to stick to the same system, but they dont so will have to use another brand.

Come on CND please bring out a soak off gel, pretty please. Ax

My nails are really terrible for peeling, except for when I religiously use my solor oil. Do these clients use solor oil?

I would also use a clear soak off gel if CND did one - that would be great as at the moment I have Gelish soak off structure gel. ;-)

I'm using forever French soak off gel. Shellac base, or gelac, depends which color we've gone with, then builder, color, finish as usual. My client has a nail.split upwards since childhood, and this keeps hers on. We still have a bit of trouble sometimes with the nails that peel in layers, but over all, its helping. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Geleration is fantastic as u get a soak off builder gel and also it's designed that the peeling base coat can be used Under geleration. Good luck

Hi all

Im looking to purchase a soak off clear gel that I can put under shellac for clients that have peeling nails. I have a few clients where the shellac lasts about 1- 1.5 weeks and then chips because of their nails peeling or there nails breaking, so was thinking if I apply one or two coats of a gel before then this would help them last longer and stop there nails breaking as well. I use all of cnd products but I was after a soak off gel that just soaks off with the shellac, some of my clients dont want any buffing as there nails are thin enough.

I have looked into young nails and it seems they do a soak off gel think it is called mani Q but says about filing it first before soaking it off and this wouldnt be any good if it is under shellac, and just wondered if I apply this under shellac would it soak off easy.

Is there any other decent makes that I could use as well. Your help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Ax
i use maniq clear under shellac in place of their base coat to help with the problem you are having with good results.
you don't file this at all , just apply thinly as you would the base coat. the filing you mention with maniq is to help with the removal of their gel polish system. you would break the top coat seal and then remove using acetone soaked wraps as with shellac.

:) I already posted here, and it wouldn't let me delete my comment.

Iv researched the same thing, people said to use gellish structure gel under shellac without buffing first. I'm trialling it with a client who is notorious for chipping! Il keep you posted how it goes. I know it's mixing brands, so I'm not expecting loads! But well give it a go

Hi, I use maniQ clear gel under shellac on people with a few dodgy nails and it does help. You need to make sure you get the clear maniQ in the pot and not the clear maniQ basecoat gel polish. Also remember you are using it instead of the shellac basecoat so it dies take a few minutes more to soak off but nothing drastic. So, You pep either dry or wet then gently buff the shine of the natural nail with a soft white block - you are only removing shine nothing more. Then you use a tiny bit of protein bond only on the free edge, wait a couple of secs to ensure its fully dry then apply the maniQ and cure in the cnd lamp for 2 mins. If a nail needs building up you can build an apex on a second layer of maniQ, after the maniQ you just then proceed with the shellac colours straight on top of the maniq dispersion layer and topcoat as normal. When wrapping off you do not need to file the shine off as the maniQ is at the base not topcoat so you just wrap exactly as per shellac removal with d-solve but just add a couple more minutes that's all.

Before anyone goes mad and says this is "messing" it was a very well respected nail tech who suggested I give this a go and said its only "messing" if you mix uncured products together or use different liquid and powder brands etc. just let your ladies know what you're doing and if they're happy to try the maniQ gel underneath then try it. If they say they only want shellac and maybe don't like the idea of buffing the natural nail to remove shine (although extremely gently), I was also told that you can do shellac basecoat, then shellac topcoat straight after, then proceed with colour coats and top layer of topcoat (or 2 if they warrant it) This is meant to give more strength but I personally haven't tested this method out simply as the cost of service will go up if you're having to use three coats of topcoat. But its another option for you to think about anyway.
Sorry this has been such a long reply but I thought it important to explain properly. Hope it helps and let me know how you get on. Good luck! Xxx

Last edited:
Wow marking this for later. Would love Shellac on my peely, bendy nails to last longer!!

I don't understand how all this is not "messing". Shellac is a natural nail product suitable for clients with healthy nails. If you put another product over or under it you are not using the system as instructed by the manufacturer. How will you all know if one product is reacting to another?

As Geeg says, two layers of topcoat should be sufficient and surely is the only thing CND would endorse.

I don't see how it would be any different then applying over enhancements. As long as the first product is completely finished out. For example, I wouldn't advise doing a gelish base coat and then continuing with shellac. But if u have a one step soak off gel that doesn't require a special lamp, applying Shellac on top of it shouldn't harm the service at all. I do a thin layer of brisa on my right hand due to the excessive access to acetone that hand gets. It makes mine last tons longer! And of course my left still looks beautiful Bc shellac rocks! :)

Now I do agree with the two top coats. It helps a bunch on majority of my peeling clients. In a perfect world everyone would use their solar oil. But sometimes there's nothing we can do about that except upgrade their service ;)

Just my two cents!

I think Shellac as a system should be used as instructed by CND, using their products and following their instructions.

Shellac is for natural nails and is as good as the nail is on the day of the application.

This is what our customers always should be made aware of and what we tell them. It's an amazing product but it may/will chip if the nails are not in good state.

If customers want longer lasting product maybe it would be better to offer Gelish alongside of Shellac. There is plenty of successful nail techs who use it without the need of buffing the nail.

That could be like a temporary measure and if the state of the nails improves under Gelish come back to Shellac. Just a thought x

Any combination of products outside Shellac system is not anymore shellac.

If we buy BMW we hardly want to see Fiat upholstery and engine inside :) Why not then stock on both BMW and Fiat ;)

I don't understand how all this is not "messing". Shellac is a natural nail product suitable for clients with healthy nails. If you put another product over or under it you are not using the system as instructed by the manufacturer. How will you all know if one product is reacting to another?

As Geeg says, two layers of topcoat should be sufficient and surely is the only thing CND would endorse.

I agree, a polish is a polish, a gel is a gel, it doesnt make sense to me to go and put gel under a polish, why not just get gel then instead of polish, ive been asked to do this before and i won't, also it wont be a 10 min removal then.
ive got clients who get 8 days and clients who get 3wks, the clients who get 8 days just come in more often for a new manicure, (and even they agree the Shellac lasts waaay longer on them than they would ever get from an ordinary polish and it looks way better too ) these clients dont want gel on and are happy with the high gloss look of Shellac and also the convenience of it, so they dont tend to mind bringing their appointments closer together.
Ultimately after they have used Shellac for a while they find they get longer and longer out of it anyway and they eventually become the 3wk clients too.
So i dont worry !

Can I state that shellac can be used over enhancements, my training with s2 said that this can be done. So therefore you could use a gel under shellac (structure) or l&p.
I don't always find 2 coats of top coat sufficient enough.

I think the only reason people started to want 3wks out of Shellac was because another brand came out claiming they last 3wks, but that other brand was a gel not a polish at all, i just ask them if its gel they want or polish, because i think 2wks is very good for a polish anyway, anyhow i would rather they came in every 2 wks than every 3wks and if the other brand is gel isnt it supposed to be re-done evry 2wks anyway.
My gel/acrylic is supposed to be re-balanced every 2wks, not 3wks.
I have recently heard there are people trying to get 4wks out of their nails, why???
I just tell my clients you could be coming in fortnightly or weekly to begin with then fortnightly (depending on how you go)
my clients are happy to do this because they all know someone who already comes to me and gets 2wks or more and thats just fine with me.

I wonder if hairdressers have this problem with people trying to get as long as they can from their roots

Can I state that shellac can be used over enhancements, my training with s2 said that this can be done. So therefore you could use a gel under shellac (structure) or l&p.
I don't always find 2 coats of top coat sufficient enough.

Yes , you're right. There are many, many posts on here with cnd trained people saying they use gel underneath the shellac to give it strength. I rang s2 and asked their advice before I started using the gel and they said its absolutely fine and as long as people are aware of what you're doing and are happy there is no problem.
In an ideal world everyone would have 10 long, strong natural nails but unfortunately alot of women don't. Techs shouldn't be made to feel bad when they are trying to find a solution for these ladiesx

I think the only reason people started to want 3wks out of Shellac was because another brand came out claiming they last 3wks, but that other brand was a gel not a polish at all, i just ask them if its gel they want or polish, because i think 2wks is very good for a polish anyway, anyhow i would rather they came in every 2 wks than every 3wks and if the other brand is gel isnt it supposed to be re-done evry 2wks anyway.
My gel/acrylic is supposed to be re-balanced every 2wks, not 3wks.
I have recently heard there are people trying to get 4wks out of their nails, why???
I just tell my clients you could be coming in fortnightly or weekly to begin with then fortnightly (depending on how you go)
my clients are happy to do this because they all know someone who already comes to me and gets 2wks or more and thats just fine with me.

I wonder if hairdressers have this problem with people trying to get as long as they can from their roots

In my experience, people are not happy just to get 8 days out of a service like your ladies are. People are cutting back and just do not have the money to get continuous treatments. I actually use a hard gel that is designed and advertised as a 4 weekly treatment (although I advise 3 weeks if they can afford it) and it is really popular on the basis of being more cost effective and less time consuming.

I expect hairdressers do have ladies that want to get as long as possible from their colours. It is not a bad thing, just cutbacks and budgeting.

Latest posts

Back