Amazing opportunity to own my own salon!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murfles

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

After my bit of cranky rant this afternoon, I was presented with some awesome news when my Mum came to get her eyelash infills.

There are 3 major beauty salons in my town (along with some hairdressers that do the odd eyebrow wax and one that only does eyelash extensions). I have started my own business from home and have been operating since April. My Mum gets her nails done at one of the salons (probably the biggest and best) and the owner has approached her, as she is selling the business. When she bought it, apparently she only wanted to do it as a career for a certain amount of time, and she has been doing it for well beyond what she expected and thinks it's time to move on, maybe start travelling, etc. My parents have organised their accountant and already have the books, they are going through them, and if all looks good, I could have my own salon within a couple of months :eek::eek::eek:

How exciting! I am only 23 so to have my own salon (albeit an already established one, instead of building up my own clientele) would be amazing. I have wanted to be a beauty therapist since I was 10, and for the last probably 4 or 5 years, dreamed of having my own salon. I am so lucky that my parents are in a position to be able to do this for me, as I wouldn't have a hope in hell of being able to afford to buy it on my own. I can hardly contain my excitement. It is probably the busiest salon in town.

The only thing I'm wondering is, I already have all my business details, ABN, registered a name, have began trading, etc. I would of course, like to take my name with me, but my parents have said I will probably need to trade under the salon's current name for a while before changing over to mine. Would it be worth taking my name and all details with me? Or just trade as is?

I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight - I just can't stop thinking about what I can do to the salon, what services I can bring that they don't currently offer, and the fact I will have staff, and be somebody's boss! Eek!

Just had to share on here, as it is all hush hush at the moment, so can't talk about it with anyone in my "real" life, and what better place to share :D

I would trade under their existing name to maintenance their clientele. I understand your excited but tread carefully is either of your parents in business? Just so you know about leases etc. I was only 22,when I set up in a salon, it has set me up for life, but you will probably have to make a lot of sacrifices, because your too tired after work. It has been worth it all, but it is just about working hard and using people skills, staff are a nightmare btw. Good luck

Yes, my parents have owned and successfully ran their own business for over 30 years now. I am not looking forward to the having staff bit, but at the same time it's exciting, as I'm going from my one person home salon, to a fully staffed shop salon. I'm more than prepared to work hard, and do everything I can to make it a success, can't wait!

I just wanted to say good luck, and how exciting !
I think it's great your parents are helping you out, where we would be with out them ( my parents are the same )
Just be prepared for some really hard work and stressful times !
I say go for it !
Not sure on the name, maybe stick with it as it is for now and then change later down the line.
Good luck let us know how it all goes xx

Thats fantastic! How exciting.

I opened my salon last year, i am now toying with the idea of buying an existing salon with clients rather than building up my own, beaucse the clients are there you just have to maximise it.

I want to own a chain of beauty salons - im a bit ambitous :)

I hope it all goes well :)

PS My dad has run a succesfull business for over 25 yers aswell, I wouldnt be where i am now if it wasnt for what he's taught me, its a great stepping stone and advantage to have parents running their own bussiness :)

I just wanted to say good luck, and how exciting !
I think it's great your parents are helping you out, where we would be with out them ( my parents are the same )
Just be prepared for some really hard work and stressful times !
I say go for it !
Not sure on the name, maybe stick with it as it is for now and then change later down the line.
Good luck let us know how it all goes xx

Thanks Jojo! We had a bit of a chat about it today, think we will have to keep everything the same for a bit at least (name, pricing etc), but Mum does want to repaint, and jazz it up a bit, as she thinks it needs a bit of updating. Which I'm all for, as I'll be able to pick colours etc that I want, hehe. We are going to go look at it on the weekend, exciting!! :green: x

Thats fantastic! How exciting.

I opened my salon last year, i am now toying with the idea of buying an existing salon with clients rather than building up my own, beaucse the clients are there you just have to maximise it.

I want to own a chain of beauty salons - im a bit ambitous :)

I hope it all goes well :)

Thanks Jemima! It is literally all I have been thinking about for the past 24 hours. It's going to be weird going from full pelt advertising trying to bring the clients in, to having them walk in without me having to do anything. This salon never advertises - it doesn't need to! It doesn't have a website, a facebook page, it never puts ads in the paper, it is busy enough to not have to, which is fantastic - hope it stays that way :lol:

I was only thinking the other day how awesome it would be to have a chain of beauty salons - I hope you can do it! x

If the salon is that busy and known I wouldn't change the name! For all your own clients just a leaflet saying xxx had merged with xxx and the contact details!

You are one very lucky girl all the best!

Just wanted to say congratulations hunni, that is soo great and i would be mega excited to. You are very lucky to have that chance :) and hopefully everything will go well for you. I am 20 and have had my own business selling on ebay for around 3 years, its going quite well and have just finished doing beauty at college and doing some extra courses like spray tanning n acrylic nails and stuff. I really really want to start up with the beauty on my own but lack experience :( hopefully going to do it from home as hopefully my mum will get round to converting the garage into 2 work rooms one for me and one for her. But just not quite sure where to start and im soo excited and filling my room or beauty stuff and nails polishes etc etc... lol

Good Luck & Best Wishes xxx

If the salon is that busy and known I wouldn't change the name! For all your own clients just a leaflet saying xxx had merged with xxx and the contact details!

You are one very lucky girl all the best!

Thanks! That is a great idea, I might start working on the leaflet now, so it's ready to hand out at future appointments. Gosh I hope everything goes through smoothly and quickly - I can't wait to start down there! :)

Just wanted to say congratulations hunni, that is soo great and i would be mega excited to. You are very lucky to have that chance :) and hopefully everything will go well for you. I am 20 and have had my own business selling on ebay for around 3 years, its going quite well and have just finished doing beauty at college and doing some extra courses like spray tanning n acrylic nails and stuff. I really really want to start up with the beauty on my own but lack experience :( hopefully going to do it from home as hopefully my mum will get round to converting the garage into 2 work rooms one for me and one for her. But just not quite sure where to start and im soo excited and filling my room or beauty stuff and nails polishes etc etc... lol

Good Luck & Best Wishes xxx

Thanks Emmalou!

I myself have only had 6 months salon experience since finishing college 3 years ago - the rest has been on my own from home, doing friends and family until I started it as a business in April this year. So lacking experience isn't a bad thing. Sure it helps, but if you go out on your own straight away, you can do it all your own way! Nothing like being your own boss! :)

I suppose :) im just hanging around waiting for my mum to convert the garage now, get some more practise and other training in and hopefully start something. I just think about how things can be done in other ways and more professional to what i did at college etc... and my main worry is, if there is something im not sure about there is no one else to ask.

x

Im so excited for you! This is an amazing opportunity for you! I just started renting a nail table (on Thursday) and although I have only done a couple of sets Im optimistic that things will get much better once I start advertising and stuff I'll be busier! Then in years to come I'll look into owning one or more nail bars and there'll be no stopping me!

As for the name...I'd trade for a few months with the one thats already there, get to know your clientele, then begin the transformation...invite clients to the relaunch party etc...

I wish you the very best of luck! :)

Sent from my RACERII using SalonGeek

I suppose :) im just hanging around waiting for my mum to convert the garage now, get some more practise and other training in and hopefully start something. I just think about how things can be done in other ways and more professional to what i did at college etc... and my main worry is, if there is something im not sure about there is no one else to ask.

x

I had the same worry, there's a lot more pressure when the buck stops with you - but this site is fantastic! I'm sure you can get loads of help from here. Sure it may not be an instant answer like calling another therapist in to ask a question, but you can still learn heaps. I am addicted to it, I check it most nights before bed lol

Im so excited for you! This is an amazing opportunity for you! I just started renting a nail table (on Thursday) and although I have only done a couple of sets Im optimistic that things will get much better once I start advertising and stuff I'll be busier! Then in years to come I'll look into owning one or more nail bars and there'll be no stopping me!

As for the name...I'd trade for a few months with the one thats already there, get to know your clientele, then begin the transformation...invite clients to the relaunch party etc...

I wish you the very best of luck! :)

Sent from my RACERII using SalonGeek

Thank you! I've been thinking a lot about the name and as much as I'd like to have my own, I do realise it would be silly to change it straight away. I'm happy to keep it for a bit and see how it goes.

All the best with your nail table too! :)

I wanted to wish you all the best for your new business and to say don't be shy about asking advice, from everyone, write it all down and have regular sit down meetings with your parents to go through everything.
That 30 years experience is priceless for you, you don't survive that long with out knowing how to adapt.
I know you will want to put your mark on the place (I would) but I would advise you to take a few months to get to know the place as it is now, really get to know your staff, your suppliers and of course your client base before diving in and making the changes you want.
One more thing, can we have updates please, with photo's?
There is a geek who lives in Austria who has shared her journey with us from the very beginning and it's been not only very helpful but fascinating too.

I wanted to wish you all the best for your new business and to say don't be shy about asking advice, from everyone, write it all down and have regular sit down meetings with your parents to go through everything.
That 30 years experience is priceless for you, you don't survive that long with out knowing how to adapt.
I know you will want to put your mark on the place (I would) but I would advise you to take a few months to get to know the place as it is now, really get to know your staff, your suppliers and of course your client base before diving in and making the changes you want.
One more thing, can we have updates please, with photo's?
There is a geek who lives in Austria who has shared her journey with us from the very beginning and it's been not only very helpful but fascinating too.

Thanks Susie!! It's all so exciting there is going to be a lot of sitting down and discussing things I think, hehe. I will surely try and post photos - I will definitely be taking a lot of before and afters once I put my stamp on the salon :)

Wooo what a fab opportunity wishing you all the luck in the world xx

How very exciting for you, congratulations xxxx

^^ Thank you very much lovelies! :)

Latest posts

Back