American Manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcollins

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry if I should have posted this one to the Nail Art Section, but hey :cool:

Could some kind person let me know what their idea of a finished American Manicure should look like. I was told you apply the white as per normal then you have this watery red top layer you paint over the white :confused:

When I do this, I have tried serveral ways. One way is to paint a thin layer of the red (which gives a pink colour) over the nail, but this leaves the white streaky pink :sad:. Also I have put several layers on to make the white become PINK. :lol: but, when I apply a top coat to seal (that's if you should do?), then it looks as though it has shrunk and looks very patchy :cry: ummmm... any ideas on what the finished article should look like?
Thanks for you imput.

Lynn :cool:

P.S The weather is FAB!!!

hi

have you tried star nails american manicure set ?
you the cream colour over the nail then the plum colour than apply the cream for the tip
it turns out very natural hth .xx
i have the star nails american kit for sale if your interested??

how i was taught was to apply base coat, then the cream on the free edge, then apply the red jelly colour sideways so you dont go over the free edge at all as this turns it pink.

some people put a nail polish on sideways at the cuticle area, especially on toes if they are not to good at getting a straight line in that area.

Have never done this manicure before but i have had it done with tip applied first then the red jelly colour applied sideways just like shropshire dawn discribes also on some of my clients big toes i do do the cuticle area sideways to get a neater edge hth

I've also been wondering about this! Sorry to be dense but can you explain what you mean by "sideways"?? Do you mean paint from side wall to side wall?? I cant see how i'd do that :o . Also, the watery red you talk about, is it a colour specifically made for doing american manicures - like the one in the Star Nails set?

Carole Lindsay said:
I've also been wondering about this! Sorry to be dense but can you explain what you mean by "sideways"?? Do you mean paint from side wall to side wall?? I cant see how i'd do that :o . Also, the watery red you talk about, is it a colour specifically made for doing american manicures - like the one in the Star Nails set?
Hi carole Yes paint from side wall to side wall n i think it is star nails attitude i think

sequinto said:
Hi carole Yes paint from side wall to side wall n i think it is star nails attitude i think
Jack, me love, you're gonna have to show me at the next meeting i come to coz i just cant see how on earth you'd do that without getting it all over the sides, lol

hi it says how to do an american i think in the ka sa ra nail art book xx

Carole Lindsay said:
Jack, me love, you're gonna have to show me at the next meeting i come to coz i just cant see how on earth you'd do that without getting it all over the sides, lol
No probs carole but i do not have this set so if u have got it bring it with u

The proper way to do an American Manicure is apply your base coat, do your cream or ivory colored (not bright white!) tip as you would do a french, and then apply the clear red (peach, or plum) from sidewall to sidewall, and then do a second coat of the red over the entire nail. The trick is to use thin coats of the nail bed color so it doesn't muddy the white.
Another way to do it is to apply base coat, then apply one coat of the nail bed color over the entire nail, then your tip color, and then another coat of the nail bed color over the entire nail. I don't particulary like the polishes that come with american manicure kits. So you can easily substitute it with whatever polish line you use. Just choose an off white, or ivory color for the tip. And whatever french pink, or beige shade you like for the nail bed. I think the whole point of the American Manicure look is to have a softer white tip. So just do it the same way you would do your normal french. Hope this helps.
Diya

I have used the American polish set from Star, i personally do a clear base coat, then do whole nail with the Pink, then do the tip with the cream, then a clear top coat over the whole. This i find for me works the best so you don't get the polish on side walls, you don't make the cream streaky and it loks good.

Caz i can bring it with me onthe 20th, and demonstarte on you Hun, if you like.

Thanks guys for all your help!

I shall have a play around and see what comes out, will try several ways now.

Thank you

emmalouisa said:
hi it says how to do an american i think in the ka sa ra nail art book xx
Hi Emma, dont suppose you fancy typing it out and sending it to me do you??? I'd be interested to see it in writing.

talented talons said:
I have used the American polish set from Star, i personally do a clear base coat, then do whole nail with the Pink, then do the tip with the cream, then a clear top coat over the whole. This i find for me works the best so you don't get the polish on side walls, you don't make the cream streaky and it loks good.

Caz i can bring it with me onthe 20th, and demonstarte on you Hun, if you like.
Cheers me dear, you're on!

lcollins said:
Hi Guys,

Sorry if I should have posted this one to the Nail Art Section, but hey :cool:

Could some kind person let me know what their idea of a finished American Manicure should look like. I was told you apply the white as per normal then you have this watery red top layer you paint over the white :confused:

When I do this, I have tried serveral ways. One way is to paint a thin layer of the red (which gives a pink colour) over the nail, but this leaves the white streaky pink :sad:. Also I have put several layers on to make the white become PINK. :lol: but, when I apply a top coat to seal (that's if you should do?), then it looks as though it has shrunk and looks very patchy :cry: ummmm... any ideas on what the finished article should look like?
Thanks for you imput.

P.S The weather is FAB!!!
I'm American and I guess your ideas of an american manicure are different than mine:confused: I usually use CND Creampuff and a sheer pastel pink or peach over the top. (yes, over the white and it does soften it, but the pink or peach should be sheer enough to still see the white.) For weddings or special events, I use an opalescent (probably spelled that wrong) that reflects the colors the client is wearing.:biggrin:
Maybe :o you could post how to do a European?:confused: manicure and I could offer a new service to my clients.

Jeni Giles said:
I'm American and I guess your ideas of an american manicure are different than mine:confused: I usually use CND Creampuff and a sheer pastel pink or peach over the top. (yes, over the white and it does soften it, but the pink or peach should be sheer enough to still see the white.) For weddings or special events, I use an opalescent (probably spelled that wrong) that reflects the colors the client is wearing.:biggrin:
Maybe :o you could post how to do a European?:confused: manicure and I could offer a new service to my clients.

Well,

I don't know how to do a EUROPEAN manicure - it was just that when I applied this watery red over the white tip (it went pink, obviously), it looked nice but the white tip was streaky pink! umm... not that nice close up! I just wondered how you used it. I will put this on first and then use a softer white. Did not realise you used a soft tip colour. NOW I KNOW!!

Thanks

Lynn

Well i did an american manicure last week and tried using the watery plum colour over the creamy tip and thought the plum was yuk and totally false! Tried again using the more natural original colour (which is virtually clear) over the cream tip and thought it looked fantastic. I would post a pic but i've no room in my gallery :(

Latest posts

Back