American Manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babe4u2nv

Reaction score
Hi ladies... I did a friends set of nails the other day, and she had been to American nails in town and rather than a french polish she had an american, I have heard and seen this somewhere before, but she said it was applied in a strange way, they put on beige? colour then wiped away just leaveing the tip coloured ??
I would like to offer american polish, but not quite sure what colours I should be using, and exactly what effect i'm after.... so any ideas or different ways to achive this would be GREAT : )

Hi ya - an american is a cream coloured tip and a translucent dark pink or even red - applied the same way as a french.

hiya Orly do an american manicure duo set,also for your main nail plate colour Creatives "marylin" polish is beautiful

Last edited:
:confused: So, what color is the free edge?

hiya Orly do an american manicure duo set,also for your main nail plate colour Creatives "marylin" polish is beautiful

sorry to barge in on this thread, I have the 'marylin' colour from creative, but have been unsure how best to use it, would it work better over a white/off white/cream smile line, or underneath it?

sorry to barge in on this thread, I have the 'marylin' colour from creative, but have been unsure how best to use it, would it work better over a white/off white/cream smile line, or underneath it?
hiya i put it over the cream colour,but for a gorgeous natural look try a couple of coats on its own ,it makes the nail a lovely sheer pinky colour ,really healthy looking almost like you have no polish on
hth

Hi, I went into the Creative shop and asked for some advice when I was buying my enamels in readiness for opening my new salon. She told me about the american finish, and the colours she gave me were Negligee (off whitish) and pucker up (translucent reddish pink)

They look lovely, in fact I'm wearing pucker up on its own over a natural finish, it looks really fresh, its my new favourite colour.

CND has discontinued Marilyn.There is now a new look-a-like called Pucker -Up.
It can be used all over the nail with something like Pointe-Blanc,or Bisou de Lulu, etc on the tip.It is a variation of a French Man,but done in the same way.
It is lovely for people who like the clean look of french but dont want a tippex white.Some people call this look an American Manicure.
HTH

I agree but as Karen said.. it was sadly discontinued. The new Spring Summer collection however has what we call 'lip gloss for nails' shades and they are gorgeous - perfect for the French Manicure look although to be fair I get confused as to EXACTLY what that is supposed to be! :rolleyes: certainly more creamy and beige (I think) than the American which is pinker and whiter...

but if I'm wrong.... you can slap me up side the head!! :smack:

How I was taught to apply the american manicure was you start with a milky soft white, or biege and paint the entire nail. Then you let it dry for a couple of minutes then you use a very translucent pink, almost a clear that has a tint of pink. Then you brush it on the nail bed only, but using side to side stokes. From sidewall to sidewall. It's suppose to accentuate the pink part of the nail vs. the white, as does the french. The side to side thing, really doesn't work for me, I tend to apply it like any other polish. But, I don't carry the pink all the way up to the free edge. I stroke it out right at the smile line. If it is done correctly, it really is quite pretty.

Does anybody know where you can get cream tips for an American look or how would you custom blend for American many yhanx

Try Imn Nails (out The Door) They Do A Full Range Of American Nails

I had an American nail polish kit once (before i wised up)
The instructions were to paint on the beige first, then paint the pink in the base area, leaving the free edge it's original color, than a topcoat.

Funny thats the American polish was more subtle (so not American):)

TBQH, they should rename French Polish to American polish, the French prefer a more natural look, whereas the Americans are loud and proud as to their fake nails, lips , hair, boobs, lashes.

Had to edit twice.... I almost forgot the fake teeth..... shame on me.

We just follow (almost blindly) in their (the Americans) footsteps because thats where all our products are made and the literature accompanying it.

Wouldn't it be great to develop an original style that was more representative of your own country and lifestyle.? Or will the whole world be American one day?

:)thanx for that will try them Dianaxx

:green: What is an American Manicure, and a Step by Step please,

I was asked for this the other day, said I would find out and do it next time.

Does anybody know where you can get cream tips for an American look or how would you custom blend for American many yhanx

Do a search on Want to know my secret mix? that I posted some time ago. There you will find the powder recipe I mixed for the CND Solar Oil poster campain.

Latest posts

Back