American Suppliers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjacks81

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if any of you have ever purchased any of your nail things from America, I have just been browsing online and the OPI nail polishes are only around 6dollars which in pounds is very very cheap.

Is this too good to be true, obviously I would research on the company before I made a purchase and wouldn't buy alot just incase I don't receive my goods, but would be curious to know if you have ever heard of this place: www.adiscountbeauty.com or if any of you have had an dealings with buying from abroad and getting items shipped into the UK.

Sorry geeks, I know it's very late, I am addicted to this website and can't drag myself away from the computer!!!!

thanks all xxxx

I'm not in the UK, but I know for one thing for certain, for shipping of flammable goods - such as polishes - shipping is higher as they have to be shipped a particular way.

That aside, I get TONNES from the states and even after shipping and exchange, it STILL ends up saving me a tonne of money.

You'll have to do cost comparisons. some things it will definately be worth it, others not so much.

hugs

kjacks81 said:
Hi all

Just wondering if any of you have ever purchased any of your nail things from America, I have just been browsing online and the OPI nail polishes are only around 6dollars which in pounds is very very cheap.

Is this too good to be true, obviously I would research on the company before I made a purchase and wouldn't buy alot just incase I don't receive my goods, but would be curious to know if you have ever heard of this place: www.adiscountbeauty.com or if any of you have had an dealings with buying from abroad and getting items shipped into the UK.

Sorry geeks, I know it's very late, I am addicted to this website and can't drag myself away from the computer!!!!

thanks all xxxx
2 great places I have bought from in the US which are Nails Supply stores are Transdesign and Buynail they are great for prices and you get a tracking number to insure their delivery. I have bought liquid, powders and Gels. To oz can take anytime from 3-7days. I can vouch for their products and delivery.
Cheers
Rachel:green:

Hi,
I bought some IBD gels from the US, shipping and import duty were massive and I spent more money than I would have if I'd of bought it in the UK (which I couldnt as the products werent available here).

I've just ordered a pedicure file from Medicool in the US. I have yet to find out how much the duty will be.

some companies try to avoid paying the import/export duty on products and send them listed as different products, if you receive these products and are caught out then you're party to the tax evasion, it's illegal.

This is VERY true.

However, by identifying the contents as 'beauty supplies', you are telling the truth and in some cases, can still avoid some additional costs.
It's being specific by saying "nail tips" or "uv gel" or whatever that can nail you.

Just an fyi. :wink2:

VHunter said:
This is VERY true.

However, by identifying the contents as 'beauty supplies', you are telling the truth and in some cases, can still avoid some additional costs.
It's being specific by saying "nail tips" or "uv gel" or whatever that can nail you.

Just an fyi. :wink2:
tax avoidance and getting caught means big trouble, hefty fines and can end up in a prison sentence, by declaring the exact contents of the package and being prepared to pay the charges stops the 'what ifs' and any worry.

i'm not trying to scare peeps, but the fact of the matter remains, when buying from overseas you just never know what the outcome will be, at least by buying from within our own countries we know it's all legal and above board, not only that but the delivery is cheaper too (if any cost at all).

If the package labelling is specific then flammable items such as monomer, nail enamels, acetone based products etc can all be identified and wrongly packaged items can be detected, I wouldn't want to be on the same flight as a bottle of leaking monomer or broken bottles of nail enamels that aren't packed and labelled correctly, the fire hazard is huge.

I'm not in the UK, but still get lots of produt from the USA, i'm finding that my country is very strict when it comes to import taxes, so the only thing i tried was having the sender post the receipt inside the package instead of the outside, but they always open it. Once they didn't post the receipt and i had to post them a proof of payment to be able to receive the goods (and for them to apply tax) So now i just ask for the receipt to be on the outside for everyone to see, it's still worth the while after paying taxes so...
Before i used to buy lots of stuff from the UK, but the british pound is very strong compared to the euro, so buying in dollars is better.

Labelling the products 'beauty supplies' isn't the problem, its the misleading Customs into thinking that they are non commercial use goods that is!

Most illegally under claim and try to misdirect Customs however it is you that they will come after and trust me - you spend a shed load more when that happens!

Getting supplies from the US to international markets is only cheaper if you get them illegally. Guaranteed. Especially when it comes to flammable goods. One company mentioned here is being investigated by the USPIS into illegally shipping goods - want to be a part of that investigation? Not I!

Why do you think it is more money to buy where you are from? It's because you are paying for the legal distribution of the goods - from shipping to duty and it's cheaper doing it that way than by doing it yourself.

I have little patience and empathy who forgo local distributors to smuggle in goods in to save a couple bucks. Working with a large distributer, I know how difficult (and expensive) it can be to try and do everything by the book and how tiring it is to still have people resort to smuggling. Supporting your local distributors and support your industry.

The shipping and import duty can be quite expensive, a lot depends on the weight of the products as well, obviously the more you order the more expensive it gets. If you're VAT registered it's not all bad news because you are able to claim the VAT back at some point

hi all, i am in shipping and know the ins and outs of getting stuff over.
fact is, as some of you may have experienced or qoted, its 'easy' to just declare them as 'beauty supplies' and try to play dumb.

But most of our products are Hazerdous Class 2 & 3.

Your American suppliers dont care about this because as soon as you make a purchase, you are liable for anything that happens in Shipping.

Now imagine on of your packets is full of Liquid & primer and a few nailpolishes and this packet explodes due to pressure / temp change on the plane.

Do you want to be the cause of serious damage resulting from a false declaration???

Hazerdous products get pre-packaged in double lined boxes and with special packaging instructions and there are people who are specially trained to package these goods legally in shipping handlers.

Also they get put in special holds on the planes that will be temp & pressure controlled ( thats why we pay more)

So be careful girls and remember that ignorence of the law is a crime in itself. Dont mess with customs either.

hope this helps.
Andrew:hug: :eek: :!: :idea:

For the record: all my products are shipped legally and labelled appropriately.
I pay my customs and whatnot as I should do. My invoice is on the outside.
The 3 companies that I deal with, ship everything 'above board' and 'legally'.
Anything 'liquid' is wrapped in bubble wrap and then buried in styrofoam peanuts. The lids/caps taped shut, on top of that. In some cases, encased in that shrink wrap stuff companies use with the perforated line to tear along on one side.

I was "only saying" that this is done by some, and it's not lying or misleading. They are in fact, 'beauty care/products" and generalizing the contents as opposed to offering a full list..

To date, none of my packages have been opened. Can't imagine why anyone would open them if they are identified in whole on the outside with the invoice visible for all to see.

And AFTER paying duty/customs/shipping, I'm still ahead of the game.
Quebec is known for it's high cost of living, and extremely high taxes. Things here are always WAAAAAAAAAY more expensive than they are abroad.

just an fyi

no harm intended.

I don't think varnishes are that expensive in the UK. It's not worth getting caught to save a couple of quid. When I first started my training I bought a lot of stuff from the states and didn't think, or know about any of this. If the packages had been opened I could have been in a lot of trouble for a few bottles of varnish.
The stuff was cr@p as well!

Im not accusing anyone ;)

However Flammables wrapped in bubble wrap and taped shut in styrofoam peanuts is not legal if shipped via air (especially if not declared as hazardous material). Since you cant ship flammables via First Class post, its up to the 3rd party courier to determine how the goods need to be packed.
For instance, here flammables are shipped via a courier notified of the hazardous contents.

All I'm saying is be careful :)

Hello i run a OPI concept nail bar!

I have just come back from the states and yeah the polishes are dirt cheap you could get the nail laquers for just $2.50.
i have bought loads of stuff back before!
I would check out the company a little bit more, but i think you will be very safe to be honest!!!

Lease

The Nail Geek said:
Im not accusing anyone ;)

However Flammables wrapped in bubble wrap and taped shut in styrofoam peanuts is not legal if shipped via air (especially if not declared as hazardous material). Since you cant ship flammables via First Class post, its up to the 3rd party courier to determine how the goods need to be packed.
For instance, here flammables are shipped via a courier notified of the hazardous contents.

All I'm saying is be careful :)

sorry, should have specified: polishes' are shipped in lil boxes that house 6 bottles, and then bubble wrapped and then buried in peanuts. I know that they are declared as hazardous because the only way I can get them is via UPS and US Post will NOT handle hazardous/flammable products.

I only mentioned all of that because many know I shop at nailite, and I thought they'd appreciate knowing that the shipping is done appropriately.
As for how it's shipped to the UK, I can't rightly say as my stuff is shipped by 'land' and not by 'air... but as Betsy once posted, they do it all legit and detailed what that all entailed legally for them.

And YES, caution is a MUST and there 'are' some companies that are disreputable.

I'm in the states so obviously I have bought from US suppliers before. :) I have purchased from Premier Nail Source several times and have been very happy. Here's their site http://premiernailsource.com/
Michele

WARNING! don't be fooled by bogus websites, i was.
stay away from this website, i shopped there 3 months ago and never recieved my products.

they also drew money from my account twice, after complaining i have not recieved my goods after 3 months, this was there response to me.

Im sorry but we cannot refund you. We have sent the package and we make NO claims to have it appear at your door.

Jyl Klein, Owner of American Discount Beauty Supply
www.adiscountbeauty.com
[email protected]

----------------------- Original Message -----------------------

Think there was just a thread on this company, that they do not deliver the goods after you pay.
cheers
:hug:

There has been some recent threads about the mentioned company. PLease do a search. A geek or two has had bad experiences with them.

Latest posts

Back