American traditions that we now have here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balance Andover

Reaction score
What do people think of the American traditions that have caught on here? school proms, baby showers etc...

Great for the beauty industry (I've known parents spend about £400 on prom dresses, hair, spray tans, make up, cars etc), I'm just glad that I don't have daughters! :biggrin:

What do people think of the American traditions that have caught on here? school proms, baby showers etc...

Great for the beauty industry (I've known parents spend about £400 on prom dresses, hair, spray tans, make up, cars etc), I'm just glad that I don't have daughters! :biggrin:

Me too :biggrin:

I used to think Halloween was American but I'm sure it was british immigrants that took it there. I'm sure though they started it being a big thing. I always associate it with American films lol! I really want to go to the USA one day x

All the schools are missing is homecoming game/dance. I used to make a killing during homecoming season!

I used to think Halloween was American but I'm sure it was british immigrants that took it there. I'm sure though they started it being a big thing. I always associate it with American films lol! I really want to go to the USA one day x

It's Irish I believe... Apparently they used to carve turnips!!

I thought Halloween was American?
I live in Australia and my neighbour told a bunch of kids to pee off because "it's American and we live in Australia" lol poor children. Xx

It's not just proms these days though. My daughter leaving junior school was just as bad. The last day they had Limo's, horse and carts, Porches, even a bloody helicopter arrive to take them to different parties. The expense of all this is eye watering! ..we are talking an average state school here nothing fancy! The actual prom when she left senior school ...well you could buy a few cars with the money spent! ..but we are to blame for this, as a parent you want the same for your children as everyone else. I would be so upset if my daughter missed out just because I couldn't fund it, it must be heartbreaking to watch.

Sub prime mortgages. We have the financially astute US banks to thank for that particular iniquity.
If you think that a prom was expensive just wait to see how much one of these will cost you.

I thought Halloween was American?
I live in Australia and my neighbour told a bunch of kids to pee off because "it's American and we live in Australia" lol poor children. Xx

Halloween orihinated I believe in Ireland, but trick or treating cane from America x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Trick or treating is American. Personally I think it is a form of extortion....give us a treat or we will egg your house or play a trick on you :eek:

In Scotland we used to go guising! (Pronounced guy zing !)You dressed up and went around your neighbours houses and you had to do a 'turn' ie recite a poem, tell a joke or sing a song then you were rewarded with sweets. Sometimes you would even have to dunk for apples.
All good humoured fun....no threats !
Our lanterns were made out of turnips, hard work carving them out I can tell you!
So, I don't mind that we now use Pumpkins they are easier to carve and it has created a whole new market and some profit for our farmers.
BUT I really hate hearing kids say Trick or Treat......when they should be going out guising ;)

Trick or treating is American. Personally I think it is a form of extortion....give us a treat or we will egg your house or play a trick on you :eek:

In Scotland we used to go guising! (Pronounced guy zing !)You dressed up and went around your neighbours houses and you had to do a 'turn' ie recite a poem, tell a joke or sing a song then you were rewarded with sweets. Sometimes you would even have to dunk for apples.
All good humoured fun....no threats !
Our lanterns were made out of turnips, hard work carving them out I can tell you!
So, I don't mind that we now use Pumpkins they are easier to carve and it has created a whole new market and some profit for our farmers.
BUT I really hate hearing kids say Trick or Treat......when they should be going out guising ;)

In the north east when I was a kid in the early 80s we used to knock in neighbours doors dressed up and sing a rhyme,
"The sky is blue, the grass is green
Have you a penny for Halloween?
If you haven't
We'll tip your bins
Oooooooooovvvvveer!"

And you know something, not once would I have dared tip anyone's bin over! My mother would have killed me, and not only that, do you remember the weight of the bins back then? Big metal things with no wheels and a huge pan lid! ;)

All the history behind Halloween and the origin is on wikipedia if you can be bothered to look it up. ..ha ha

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

All the history behind Halloween and the origin is on wikipedia if you can be bothered to look it up. ..ha ha

By that argument, every one on here could go look up everything on their own and not bother chatting about it....where would forums be then?

Oh, and the Wikipedia entry is false. I just changed it all before you posted. The true origin isn't pagan at all. But I knew you'd be fooled lol!

TP'ing is also an option :p

By that argument, every one on here could go look up everything on their own and not bother chatting about it....where would forums be then?

Oh, and the Wikipedia entry is false. I just changed it all before you posted. The true origin isn't pagan at all. But I knew you'd be fooled lol!

Personally by some of the replies that I read in this forum to actually look up, research, and call the companies some people are asking information on would be the best answer and quite possibly save numerous repetitive threads and bitchy replies. you may then have more relaxed forum where people just argue and bitch over the selling costs of services. Wikipedia was just an example, there's plenty of others.

Last edited:

Now where's the fun in that?....bet it doesn't mention guising ;)

I think America has a lot to offer but we seem to pick the wrong things here in the UK, like Proms, Showers, and Trick or Treat....not to mention supersize meals.

Maybe we should be looking more to European culture.......

i love black friday! shopping after thanksgiving! This is probarly the best holiday ever! I quite like the Super Bowl....just watching them men on the field! Hubba hubba! ;-P

America has brought over some really good traditions....haha! New york baked cheesecake! xoxo

Now where's the fun in that?....bet it doesn't mention guising ;)

I think it does mention Guising. .

i love black friday! shopping after thanksgiving! This is probarly the best holiday ever! I quite like the Super Bowl....just watching them men on the field! Hubba hubba! ;-P

America has brought over some really good traditions....haha! New york baked cheesecake! xoxo

Black Friday shopping is scary! People bring their sleeping bags to Camp out in front of stores at late o' clock at night and there's always some type of fight over the dumbest things. I once saw a pile up of ladies going at it over a Tickle me Elmo. There was weave and popped off nails everywhere!

Prom! My mum spent loads on me at my prom £650 dress, £100 shoes, £80 hand bag, £50 necklace, £100 on beauty stuff, and not to forget the horse drawn carriage. And I left after 30 minutes as I was bored haha! OOPS! My poor mother, I was such a horrible cow at that age! I remember stomping and winging I wanted that beautiful pink Tiffany ball gown xxx

Latest posts

Back