Angry customer-please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLey3

Reaction score
hi all,

I have not been on here for quite some time. I have had a baby and been out of hair for a while... Had some pregnancy problems but all ok however I was out of hairdressing for a while.

So back in a salon.... My 2nd/3rd weekend I had two girls come in they wanted balyage.
One went really well the other went well but at the back I had to re do about 6 foils as there was a line. I apologised and she was fine. The other girls hair looked amazing and I was really proud ... She had previous colour and a line where her blonde started from another salon. She's wanted to go lighter on the roots but I explained that a colour can not lift a colour but we could do a 7.3 and showed her the colour ... Anyway this came out more red on her head then it ever has on a client before but when you dried it it was more a brown/slight hint of red.
She said she liked it after I had finished and styles it.
A few days later her mother came in and went mental saying her daughter hates her hair! I was shocked but we offered to fix it and apologised. 2 days after that the other girls mother came in going crazy saying its ginger it's falling out etc etc.
I can hand on my heart state that her hair was fine and after I put the extra foils in I was pleased with that as well. I think what it may have done is bled underneath a little as she had the thickest hair ... We have apologised and offered to fix. I did state that if I had noticed it I would of fixed it... The girl did not want it straightened just dried. I have also apologised because I should of been more vigilant but as I seen the top I was concerned and fixed straight away. Also she said he hair is coming out at the root!? The bleach never hit the root it was mid length tho the ends of course with the balyage.

Anyway the lady is coming back in today as she wants her money back.... I am so dreading it as I really don't know what to do. We have offered to fix it but she said no then she said she has pictures so we asked if we could see them so we know what it looks like but she won't show us.
One minute she says its ginger then that it's falling out? The blonde did not go to a white colour and look natural... When the hair was washed out and dried it was not falling out. We are in a town and I'm worried because I have been told this lady is a complete drama queen and has a big mouth.
I can honestly say her hair looked fine when she left and she was happy with it. I'm mortified and it is a learning curve to be more vigilant. It's just I've been out of it for some time and this is just a nightmare and all at once.
The girls are best friends and their mums are close to. I have no idea what to say or do because she won't show us the hair or let us fix it?

Sorry it's a long post and please don't reply with a lot of negativity.... I need to be more confident but after being out of it and then coming back and this happens I feel awful.
I'm just going to add I have done many others since being back and they are all very pleased with it all.

Thank you in advance xx

First of all you need to insist on seeing the girl's hair. You're going purely on what the mother is saying. Tell her you cannot issue a refund unless you've seen the hair in person.
You have to remember the time spent on the hair and the products you've used.
How old are the girls?
I feel as though you're not being given a chance to see or even fix the issue. That seems odd to me.

1. Stay calm and in control when dealing with difficult customers.

2. The contract for hair services is between the client and yourself. The mother has no legal right to interfere. You are within your rights to refuse to discuss the matter with her at all.

3. If the client is unhappy, I would expect her to come in and discuss it with you. (Like a grown up!)

4. Until you've seen the hair for yourself (not photos), I wouldn't offer any comment other than you are willing to try to find a solution to the perceived problem.

5. If you know you've made a mistake and caused damage, I think a refund is reasonable. I certainly wouldn't be willing to allow someone a second attempt if they'd caused damage to my hair or scalp or got it completely wrong, in terms of cut/colour.

6. If you know you completed the service well and you suspect the client has changed her mind or has since applied further colour or a cheap colour stripping shampoo, then depending on whether you want to keep the client (!), you can offer to re-do it, or a partial refund. Otherwise, stay firm and say that you completed the service as requested by the client and that the client was clearly happy when they left the salon so there's nothing more that you can do.

7. There are some seriously unpleasant people out there and it's not your job to put up with their crap.
If they are rude or unpleasant, stay polite but firm and do not engage in further discussion with them. Make it clear that the matter is closed as far as you are concerned and if they want to pursue it further, you will happily see them in court.

8. Unfortunately, some clients will be quite persistent if they sense your fear and so you need to develop a thick skin to brush them off. Easier said than done for some people, I know.

If you do refund just to get rid of them, be prepared for a steady stream of complaining clients as word will get around amongst their chavvy pals that you're a push over.

They can't expect you to give a refund without seeing the hair and them pointing out what the problem is. Insist on seeing the hair before anything can be done. Then base what you do on what the hair looks like. Arrange for them to come at a time when there is more staff present to get their view on it too

Thank you ladies for he advice. I have been in talks with my manager today.
We have been told that this lady is hard work and by the sounds of it will make our lives a misery.
In one hand we don't want to give her the money back as we haven't seen it and there is no way that her scalp or hair is ruined. I know that there could be a bled underneath which I completely hold my hands up to and offered to put right. But she will not come in nor will she show us these pictures that they said they have taken.

On the other hand because of the type of person this lady is it hipefully will be old news in a few days If she had her money back. She's even argued in what they paid as they both paid £55 they both had a full head. The girl in question had loads of hair and so long so could possibly I guess of even charged more.

I'm a little more relaxed now as my boss is standing by me as she has faith in me ... We are stuck on what to do and also She has nothing that she has shown us etc of proof in some way. Not that I'm saying she's lying about it all cause like I said it could well of bled underneath a little at the back.
The thought is driving me mad my boss was also told that the mother does drugs? So that makes me worry even more, which is why could be easier to give it back.

I'm just worried really and we offered to put it right with putting her natural through the bleed and she won't have none of it.

Thank you again guys.... She's meant to be in between 1-2
Xx

Hope it went well today, I've read all comments and have to agree, if you don't see the hair, no refund and definitely do not be intimidated, I've managed salons and been managed and have always supported and had support off a good manager, with a backing off your boss, let them take the pressure off you and let them deal with the pushy parent. Anyway, hope it ended well. X

1. Stay calm and in control when dealing with difficult customers.

2. The contract for hair services is between the client and yourself. The mother has no legal right to interfere. You are within your rights to refuse to discuss the matter with her at all.

3. If the client is unhappy, I would expect her to come in and discuss it with you. (Like a grown up!)

4. Until you've seen the hair for yourself (not photos), I wouldn't offer any comment other than you are willing to try to find a solution to the perceived problem.

5. If you know you've made a mistake and caused damage, I think a refund is reasonable. I certainly wouldn't be willing to allow someone a second attempt if they'd caused damage to my hair or scalp or got it completely wrong, in terms of cut/colour.

6. If you know you completed the service well and you suspect the client has changed her mind or has since applied further colour or a cheap colour stripping shampoo, then depending on whether you want to keep the client (!), you can offer to re-do it, or a partial refund. Otherwise, stay firm and say that you completed the service as requested by the client and that the client was clearly happy when they left the salon so there's nothing more that you can do.

7. There are some seriously unpleasant people out there and it's not your job to put up with their crap.
If they are rude or unpleasant, stay polite but firm and do not engage in further discussion with them. Make it clear that the matter is closed as far as you are concerned and if they want to pursue it further, you will happily see them in court.

8. Unfortunately, some clients will be quite persistent if they sense your fear and so you need to develop a thick skin to brush them off. Easier said than done for some people, I know.

If you do refund just to get rid of them, be prepared for a steady stream of complaining clients as word will get around amongst their chavvy pals that you're a push over.
Well said!

Take photos of clients say it's for your portfolio and if they come back say you were happy when you left she has maybe put another colour in herself unbeknown to the mother and blamed you

Latest posts

Back