Animal Testing | Estee Lauder, Avon and Mary Kay In Class Action Lawsuit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
That old and ugly topic of animal testing has reared its ugly head again in California as it was announced that a class action lawsuit would be filed against Estee Lauder, Avon and Mary Kay. We can only hang our heads in disappointment not just because animal testing is still going on, but because these brands are being accused of purposely misleading the consumer (aka: lying about it).

The class action suit states that these three companies have purposely defrauded the American (and international!) buying public by simply not telling the truth. Publicly, they stated that they didn’t test on animals and claimed their products were ‘cruelty free’ but behind closed doors they were knowingly testing on animals to ensure they could sell their product in China and make squillions in Chinese sales.

PETA initially responded by simply removing them from their ‘cruelty free’ list of companies. Now however, since February 16th 2012, those companies have been downgraded further and added to a list of companies that do test on animals.

Put simply, these companies have made two fatal errors. First, they have tested their products on animals for the sake of profit. Not a popular stance to take. Second, they’ve lied to their customers. If the first one didn’t put you off, the second one is certain to.

Until then…geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• Animal testing.jpg
    Animal testing.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,315
I (like many) have been an Avon lady and was very proud to boast that Avon were one of the first major beauty companies to be cruelty free, as I had been informed by then. I am very disappointed to find that this was a blatant lie!

What bothers me more is the amount of companies that Avon sell their research to (I know oil of okay was one). Does this mean they are also now funding they cannot be classified as cruelty free??

I think we are going to see much more on this subject over the next few months.

Disgusting that this should still be going on in todays world.

Shameful on the companies that are still trying to seduce the world into thinking they are cruelty free.

I guess that they may have thought that as some of their products are animal free testing then they can endorse All their products as animal free testing!!! abit like the word "organic" used in our industry and "natural"

Hope it makes the news at 6pm and 10pm-

Oil of Olay is listed as one of the companies that DOES test on animals.

I feel pretty naive right now...I actually didn't realise it was still legal. I wish it wasn't and feel like i need to have a good look at this list and change some of the products that i buy. I'm pretty gutted because i love herbal essences shampoo but i just don't feel good about using animal tested products xx

Oil of Olay is listed as one of the companies that DOES test on animals.

I feel pretty naive right now...I actually didn't realise it was still legal. I wish it wasn't and feel like i need to have a good look at this list and change some of the products that i buy. I'm pretty gutted because i love herbal essences shampoo but i just don't feel good about using animal tested products xx

I'm obviously very naive as I thought all the major brands had improved their research methods. I think I need to spend some time doing some research.

This is not surprising at all. Its not just animal testing its also ingredients used in products. apart from a few guidlines i have recently learnt that the beauty industry is very loosely regulated. and the worst culpraits are the famous brands. shocking some of the stuff in childrens products.

I read about this recently. I don't buy any animal tested products and it's really important to me to use cruelty free brands. So I'm super sad that I'm now going to have to give up MAC, Aveda, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown... as they're all owned by Lauder. I've already stopped buying OPI and Essie, since they were bought by companies that test.

My biggest issue is that the majority of my pro makeup kit is MAC, so I will use it all up but then when it's time to replace, do so with animal friendly brands.

It makes me so sad that in this day and age, companies still animal test. I thought Lauder was one of the good guys! :sad:

Dont think this goes for all of the companies under the estee laufer umbrella. for example. Aveda was originally founde by Horst reclebachor back in 1978 and started manufacturing in miniapolis. when the company got very big it sold to estee lauder in 1997. but is manufactured in the same way and same company with the horst philosphy. they test in vitro on human cells.

Maybe not but they will benefit from sales and im not happy to support a parent company that animal tests.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Maybe not but they will benefit from sales and im not happy to support a parent company that animal tests.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thats is true about them benefiting. hope you find some animal friendly alternatives. :D

Where can i get a list of companies that test/do not test on animals?

I think it's terrible that this is still happening, I thought they had all finished with testing on animals?

Do OPI and Essie test on animals then? Are they still doing it now or have they stopped? This is also very important to me as I am about to spend a lot of money on training and supplying OPI. If the answer is yes I am going to have to look somewhere else.
Goddamn you companies :(

Confused now as just looked on People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA): The animal rights organization | PETA.org and it says OPI do not test on animals??

Take a look here:

OPI and Essie: Animal Testing & Email From PETA | DEATH BY POLISH pick your poison

The OPI brand is not tested on animals, however it was bought out by Coty, who DO test on animals :(

Bit like the Body Shop being owned by L'oreal really. You think you're doing good buying from the Body shop, but you're making profits for a company who test on animals.

Last edited:
It drives me crazy, I wish they would just make it illegal world wide then you wouldn't have to worry about this company or that, so much easier. There is no need for it now, everything that needed testing has been done i'm sure.

I signed one of the links above and they sent me this. I hope it come out as a link, if not copy and paste it. As if its ok because they are not testing any where else but China but China is massive and they are huge consumers, so no that doesn't make it ok, they are only doing it for profit. Makes me mad.

https://snt133.mail.live.com/defaul...mid=934d221b-6c6e-11e1-830e-00237de49baa&fv=1

It drives me crazy, I wish they would just make it illegal world wide then you wouldn't have to worry about this company or that, so much easier. There is no need for it now, everything that needed testing has been done i'm sure.

I signed one of the links above and they sent me this. I hope it come out as a link, if not copy and paste it. As if its ok because they are not testing any where else but China but China is massive and they are huge consumers, so no that doesn't make it ok, they are only doing it for profit. Makes me mad.

https://snt133.mail.live.com/defaul...mid=934d221b-6c6e-11e1-830e-00237de49baa&fv=1
I agree, there's enough products I'm sure that no more testing is necessary.

I can't see your link though I'm afraid, it just links to the login page for hotmail/msn email! :D

Latest posts

Back