Animal testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woop! Just been confirmed that affinage do not test any products on animals :)

Ahh now how did they word it? Did they say products... Or ingredients ?

From March of this year it will be illegal for any European country to sell cosmetics that have been tested on animals or contain ingredients that have been tested on animals.

This is great news.

From March of this year it will be illegal for any European country to sell cosmetics that have been tested on animals or contain ingredients that have been tested on animals.

This is great news.

I don't think that's true or half the stuff in boots will have to go!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I don't think that's true or half the stuff in boots will have to go!

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/consumers/product_labelling_and_packaging/co0013_en.htm

It's been planned for 4 years and is common knowledge.

I guess it's much easier for most people to believe something that someone on Facebook told them though, especially if it comes with a million likes and a picture of a sad kitten ;)

Also, selling cosmetic products that have been tested on animals has been illegal in this country since the late 1990s - this latest legislation simply ensures that this is extended throughout Europe and to the ingredients used in those products too.

:)

Cosmetic products (from 2013)

It's been planned for 4 years and is common knowledge.

Also, selling cosmetic products that have been tested on animals has been illegal in this country since the late 1990s - this latest legislation simply ensures that this is extended throughout Europe and to the ingredients used in those products too.

:)
I not sure it's that simple!

As far as I understood it, it is not legal to test inside the EU anymore, but that doesn't mean that animal tested products can't be sold here. Our shops are stacked with animal tested brands & products!

If that link is correct then that is great news. But I honestly thought this hadn't actually officially gone through yet, which is why Lush did that big campaign last year as some companies were fighting the ban?

Edit: I'm totally getting confused with all of this, but this explains it a bit better....

Cosmetics and Animal Testing: Critical EU Decisions Imminent | Features | PETA.org.uk

only certain tests were banned, not all. If the ban goes through, the rest will be banned, which would be brilliant.

Last edited:
I thought it was so that Products that are tested on animals cannot be manufactured/sold in the EU? 'The EU has long planned to ban, in 2013, the sale of all cosmetics that have been tested on animals'

the sooner they ban animal testing for cosmetic reasons the better!

I am currently trying to source brands I can buy from to start building my professional kits for when I have completed college and want to do some work in the real world.

As much as I would love to use MAC or Artdeco, i just quite simply refuse to buy from companies who do test on animals... even if they state "only when required by law" or "products not tested" I am not buying a product from them where the ingredients may have been tested. So depressing and restricting!

Here is to more of us wishing to use only animal friendly products and encouraging our customers to do the same also :)

Last edited:
Do ArtDeco test? I must admit I don't know much about them but that has surprised me.

I was thinking about this earlier. Even when the EU ban comes in they will still be able to test products manufactured and sold outside the EU and if they choose to sell in China, testing is required. So I still won't buy loreal et al.

looks like it Sal from the cleverly confusing bumph they have writed on their website.

FAQ: ARTDECO cosmetic GmbH

Also they don't feature on the PETA or nottested lists.

P.s. sorry I didn't actually realise I had posted this in hair as I had been doing a search for animal testing on make up to help me find more brands to research :o

the sooner they ban animal testing for cosmetic reasons the better!

I am currently trying to source brands I can buy from to start building my professional kits for when I have completed college and want to do some work in the real world.

As much as I would love to use MAC or Artdeco, i just quite simply refuse to buy from companies who do test on animals... even if they state "only when required by law" or "products not tested" I am not buying a product from them where the ingredients have been tested. So depressing and restricting!

Here is to more of us wishing to use only animal friendly products and encouraging our customers to do the same also :)

Artdeco is readily available on offer at Beautybay http://www.beautybay.com/artdeco/ or at Chleo in Dublin.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The only hair care brand to receive stamp to authenticate that they do not test any of their ingredients on animals is Paul Mitchell.
If the brand is available in china then I can almost guaranty that it is tested on animals. PM have pulled out of china! A move which costs them millions!

ARTDECO IS CRUELTY-FREE company. The cleverly written bumph you refer to is laughingly a poor German to English translation. It isn't hard to tell if you have a smidgen of understanding of the English Language. It couldn't be any clearer as they try to explain the law let alone their own feelings.

Is there a particular reason you want to make unfounded and completely untrue accusations???

We don't need to be on PETA lists or nottested lists as we aren't trying to make political capital to sell products... We are an ethical company without trying to use that as a selling point... :)

So once again, for the record and despite your highly objectionable and underhanded smear tactic: ARTDECO IS CRUELTY-FREE company

ARTDECO UK

Ok someone misunderstood, there really is no need to be so rude and insulting! Doesn't do much in terms of promoting your brand!

Having said that, thank you for confirming the brand is cruelty free for those who were wanting to know.

Ok someone misunderstood, there really is no need to be so rude and insulting! Doesn't do much in terms of promoting your brand!

Having said that, thank you for confirming the brand is cruelty free for those who were wanting to know.

Artdeco is readily available on offer at Beautybay http://www.beautybay.com/artdeco/ or at Chleo in Dublin.

Last edited:
Claiming a brand is cruel to animals when they are not threatens jobs and livelihoods in simple terms.

In terms of promoting our brand, it's ok to metaphorically point a loaded gun and press the trigger in our direction? but it's not ok for us to be both personally offended and very angry about it???

We are heavily involved with animal rights campaigners and a horse/animal sanctuary, imagine if our friends read this and believed it.

Everybody has a responsibility for what they write.

ArtdecoMUA
Yes I agree completely. But in my opinion, the way you went about correcting it was not very nice or very professional. Especially as the confusion came from something written on your company's website, translation or not.

Hey geeks :)

Bit of a strange thread, but it's something i feel quite strongly about.

Does anyone know which brands either test or don't test on animals or how to find out which ones do?

If there was a place that done this near me I'd support it and alot of the clients hair I fitted would defiantly ! Fair play to you! Alot of people would travel a little further also x

If

I've done a lot of research on this topic and found out that all the big companies either test on animals or, because they trade in China, pay a levy to the Chinese testing bodies as China insists that all hair and beauty products *must* be animal tested.

Fortunately, Affinage, whose products we use, don't test this way and neither do the small manufacturers (think bulk shampoos, conditioners, peroxides, etc, because they're too small to trade in China.
I have found a great company called Angel who are now supplying us with our salon sundries.

Wella, L'Oreal, Clynol, Indola, Schwarzkopf, anything by Proctor and Gamble, all chucked out. Even Brylcreme is made by Unilever ... All gone.

Yeh, if i can garuntee Affinage is Cruelty Free, and certified for it, then i will get it put on my business cards.

I have just read somewhere that they are but i want to find out for definate!

Just saw this today on the BUAV website - pretty shocking:

‎1,459 primates
11,844 rabbits
11,514 guinea pigs
2,865 dogs
264,135 rats and
2,663,441 mice.

3.7 million animals were used in experiments in 2011 in the UK.

From the 11th of March there should be an EU wide ban on all cosmetic products that have used animals for testing. I wonder how the big companies are going to cope? If I undersand this correctly any animal testing anywhere in the world will make it illegal here? How will this affect companies like Avon, Loreal and of course our very special NSS salons that used imported products from countries where animal testing is a requirement. I just started a post on CHit Chat about this and would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/212970-way-off-topic-best-news-ever.html#post1787174

Latest posts

Back