Animals and antifreeze

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
Just a warning.We have a poisoner putting food down containing anti freeze in our local dog walking places.One dog has already died and 6 are very ill.I had a google of anti freeze poisoning and it can take an extremely small amount to kill a pet and because it tastes sweet they will happily eat it.

Shockingly hundreds of pets die every year especially winter just licking up spills from people topping up their cars or getting into bottles in garages.
If it doesn't kill it can leave them with permanent kidney damage.So always be careful with your antifreeze.

There are some seriously sick people out there. What joy do they find in making another being (doesn't matter if they have paws, claws, feathers, fins or posable thumbs) suffer.

Im not in your area however I will let my friends / clients know to keep a careful watch when out.

Thanks for the heads up
Vicki x

I think its more these things should be in a closed container to stop larger animals (cats, dogs etc) from getting to them, but at the same time pet owners should be teaching their pets not to eat random food. My dog knows to only eat from his bowl or if he see's me putting food down, handing it to him. If its already on the floor he ignores it. Xoxo

that is terrible! I hope they catch whoever it is and he goes to prison for animal cruelty! Sick sick person :(

I think its more these things should be in a closed container to stop larger animals (cats, dogs etc) from getting to them, but at the same time pet owners should be teaching their pets not to eat random food. My dog knows to only eat from his bowl or if he see's me putting food down, handing it to him. If its already on the floor he ignores it. Xoxo

I'm guessing you haven't got a Labrador then :).

Thing is people can do it without even thinking about it as well.

Because it stays on the windscreens, cats can lick the windscreens of cars which used it in the mornings & end up really sick as well.

I have a friend who's cat has had to be put down due to antifreeze poisoning recently.

I dont let me cat out now on really cold days because of this & have stopped using de-icer myself. I'd rather put a towel over the screens of my car to prevent ice building up, thing is others just don't think.

Another danger for them is all the anti freeze people are putting in their water features and fountains. Cats, wild animals etc will happily drink from ponds and water features. SO if you are fortunate enough to have one of these in your garden please think before you add anything to the water. Only a little bit is enough to kill someones beloved pet

No jack Russell cross whippet xoxo

How did that happen then ? Was mum Tall or dad short? LOL Must be quite a character though, a terrier with the speed of a whippet.

There he is acting like lord muck, wouldn't share the sofa haha. His mum was small, and yes he had the speed of the whippet (strong legs, and quite long) but a stunted length body. Soft as a brush lol. He's too old to run like he did, but he's still got some speed in him. Xoxo

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353938652.852577.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353938652.852577.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 174
Antifreeze - Poisoning - Health and welfare.
Here's what the RSPCA have to say and what symptoms animals have when poisoned.
There is also an online petition to sign to get manufacturers to put a bitter taste in the anti freeze as it has even been used to poison people.As it is sweet it is easily disguised.

Does anyone have any ideas for alternates for antifreeze? I'm planning on a large new water feature next year (about 3 meters by 9 meters, with a 2.5 meter by 6 meter decking floating in it and over the fall in it.)
I won't be able to turn it off once its filled as it will flood over the side and flood the house so an anti freeze is a must for it xoxo

Good old NaCl... Table salt!

Good old NaCl... Table salt!

Wouldn't it not dissolve? And would it cause algae? I'm currently using bleach in our 2 smaller features, but going to look into something a bit more wild animal friendly xoxo

Wouldn't it not dissolve? And would it cause algae? I'm currently using bleach in our 2 smaller features, but going to look into something a bit more wild animal friendly xoxo

NaCl is an ionic compound (Na+Cl-) so it dissolves in strongly polar solvents, such as water. I believe the saturation point is something like 35.5g / 100ml at 25degrees C...

It should work down to about -10 degrees C.

The extra salt shouldn't encourage any algae growth, in comparison to plain water. You would probably find some more algae growth in comparison to bleach or antifreeze, due to their toxicity.

You may want to check what sort of metal your pipes or pumping mechanism will be made of as salt can be a little corrosive... Although I'd imagine most water feature pipes are now plastic? I know nothing about garden features! Xxx

NaCl is an ionic compound (Na+Cl-) so it dissolves in strongly polar solvents, such as water. I believe the saturation point is something like 35.5g / 100ml at 25degrees C...

It should work down to about -10 degrees C.

The extra salt shouldn't encourage any algae growth, in comparison to plain water. You would probably find some more algae growth in comparison to bleach or antifreeze, due to their toxicity.

You may want to check what sort of metal your pipes or pumping mechanism will be made of as salt can be a little corrosive... Although I'd imagine most water feature pipes are now plastic? I know nothing about garden features! Xxx

All plastic, thanks that's great. Am going to pile the smaller fountains with salt now xoxo

All plastic, thanks that's great. Am going to pile the smaller fountains with salt now xoxo

It might be easier if you make a salt solution in a big jug with warmish water, stirring until it is completely dissolved... and then add that to the fountains xx

I use apple cider vinegar in my chickens drinking water in the winter. It stops freezing to a degree but not if REALLY REALLY cold. It has worked up to -10C but after that it still freezes. I think salt water also has quite a high freezing point but not quite sure if it is more or less than -10. ACV is quite beneficial to animals as well, Chickens, dogs and horses get given this to help with feathering( in birds lol), smooth shiny coats and also helps the digestive system and helps avoid coccidiosis. You cant use it in Galvanised containers though, Has to be plastic or Stainless Steel. It may be worth trying it out this winter in your smaller ones.

Unfortunately high concentrations of salt can cause salt poisoning in birds, I am not sure about other wildlife though. Hopefully the salty taste will put them off.

Vodka doesn't freeze....lol :D

Latest posts

Back