annoyed with airbrushing- need help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Reaction score
please help!!

last year i bought an airbrush and compressor but have really lost my enthusiasm after trying desperatly to get hold of some nice colours my clients dont seem to like canary yellow or bogey green for some reason!!!! also cant get the hang of holding the stencil on properly- can do great airbrushing with a pencil, some blu-tac and a nail tip! but no good on real life human beings, the stecil seems to bend to much and paint leeks in, i am at my witts end with the thing and i dont really want to sell up unless i have to! please help i am desperate!

i have exactually the same problem, on nail tips it looks perfect then when i try on on people i cant seem to hold the stencil resulting in the design smudging or leaking through, so if anyone can help us both that would be great!
tina x x

jambo said:
please help!!

last year i bought an airbrush and compressor but have really lost my enthusiasm after trying desperatly to get hold of some nice colours my clients dont seem to like canary yellow or bogey green for some reason!!!! also cant get the hang of holding the stencil on properly- can do great airbrushing with a pencil, some blu-tac and a nail tip! but no good on real life human beings, the stecil seems to bend to much and paint leeks in, i am at my witts end with the thing and i dont really want to sell up unless i have to! please help i am desperate!
Rachel aka Chocolate is one of the best geeks to ask about this. I know that i have the same problem when using a stencil but i can blend fine..! Practise makes perfect i guess...by the time i master it they will have bought an even better way of colouring nails out...lol

This maybe wrong, but I come from a art background where ya can by spray on adhesive for stencils .. errrm would that not work here ? it makes the back of it tackie .. but can be reused a few times.. not sure if it would pull the undercoat off, but since its designed for wall paper and stuff :D well its only a thought ..

You should try the media or too much fun pre designed masks, I never use a stencils only the predesigned masked - there is some great designs that can beachieved with them.

I also love the Createx coulours and have about 80 too mych fun paints

www.toomuchfun.net

i too use the pre cut masks, they have an adhesive on em so it makes it tons easier, i only rarly use big stencils now . hope this helps

The pre cut design masks by either Medea or Too Much Fun are the way to go. Also try Medea or TMF airbrush paints which are specifically formulated for use on fingernails. Createx do have some nice colours but you need to be aware these will not clean off the skin as easily or your airbrush and some airbrushes with a fine needle just can't cope with them. If you have a Badger with a medium needle you'll be ok with the Createx paints - but you need to be scrupulous with your cleaning whereas the other two are a little more forgiving and won't bung up your gun as quickly as Createx will if you don't do a thorough clean.

Rachel AKA 'Chocolate' sells Medea Paints on www.netnails.net not sure off the top of my head of she sells the masks, she may do.

TMF paints and Masks available at www.thenailwarehouse.biz

If you still want to use stencils, you need to hold as flat as possible to the nail without scratching the paint, and spray from directly ABOVE, if you spray sideway, you'll just encourage the paint to go underneath. You must SPRAY DRY too - this is essential. If you spray too wet then, even using masks you'll get problems. Have you been on a training course? It really does help to have someone watch over you and tell you what you are doing wrong - something a video just can't do.

I'm the Airbrush Educator for N&BSI here in Dublin, so please feel free to email me with any problems/questions you might have, I'm more than happy to help if I can.

[email protected]

Hi ya, i think Jackie has given the best advice so i wont repeat it, she is right, you must spray dry, almost vertical and dont wiggle the stencil to much. Have to say, wot did i do b 4 masks were invented??!!?? ;) I use them nearly all the time now, the classic french, and animal prints are fantastic, they even do a bikini for the summer! We do sample packs if you want to try them. I love the medea range of paints as they spray like silk and have the perfect colour range. All are on my website. If anyone wants a free guide, just PM me your address and i will pop it in the post!

I will be offering some more free airbrush courses soon as the June one is fully booked with 6 geeks. I did a free nail art class last monday for 8 geeks and we had a great time, so watch this space! :lol: :lol:

Hi,

I just bought some too much fun masks off ebay. I usually use stencils. Just wondered if anyone has any advice on using them. How many times can you re-use them? Will one be enough to do a full set of nails? If you do multiple layers of colour, does the sticky side of the mask not pull the colour off underneath? :confused: Any advice would be appreciated.:biggrin:

Thanks

Julie x

Hi Julie......

julieanne27uk said:
How many times can you re-use them?

I re-use them until they no longer stick to the nail. But I always use fresh ones on a client, never ones I've used before.

julieanne27uk said:
Will one be enough to do a full set of nails?

A lot of the time, yes, but it does depend on how dry you spray, and the design you are making. If you spray a little too wet then the top of the stencil becomes mor sticky than the underneath part (which is supposed to be sticky!) and you'll have trouble getting it to stick to the nail.

julieanne27uk said:
If you do multiple layers of colour, does the sticky side of the mask not pull the colour off underneath?

Again, for this you MUST spray dry and then you'll have no problems when peeling the mask back - make sure you use an airbrush base coat first. Even if you leave the nails till they look dry (after spraying too wet in the first place) you'll more than likely have trouble when applying another mask to that area. DRY......DRY........DRY...... :D

Which masks did you buy? (being nosey).

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I bought the master pack which has one of every design they do. I think there is about 70 - 80 sheets in it, but I've not had change to count/inspect them yet. They cost me £27.50 including delivery. Was this a reasonable price?:|

Julie x

julieanne27uk said:
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I bought the master pack which has one of every design they do. I think there is about 70 - 80 sheets in it, but I've not had change to count/inspect them yet. They cost me £27.50 including delivery. Was this a reasonable price?:|

Julie x

Oooooh yes! You got a sooper dooper bargain! Just looked at my catalogue and the price for the Master Assortment (containing 65 sheets) is £167.00 - give yourself a pat on the back!! ;)

Strange, but I've been trying to get onto their UK website and nothing is happening, not there, gone, vanished!!!! I'll check again later.

Wow!! Did not realise I had saved that much money! I love Ebay! Thats made my day.

Julie x

thankyou all for your sound advise, must get some of these masks, they sound great! hopefully a little more practice, just hope i get some more clients wanting it in the summer, there doesn't seem much call for it in bristol!

Qwinn said:
This maybe wrong, but I come from a art background where ya can by spray on adhesive for stencils .. errrm would that not work here ? it makes the back of it tackie .. but can be reused a few times.. not sure if it would pull the undercoat off, but since its designed for wall paper and stuff :D well its only a thought ..

The spray is great for using with the body art stencils, but the nail art stencils are too thick to actually stick well enough to the nail, the surface area of the nail is too small for it to be successful. :)

Ditto what Vanessa said! You really can't beat having someone watch over you and show you what you're doing wrong....... and what you're oding right, of course! ;)

Hi ya Rachael

I have the same problem with my airbrushing and would be interested in these masks. Could you please let me know more about them. I was supposed to go on a course with ANT and have paid but they gave me a 1 1/2 hour tuition instead as they have no courses at the moment. I've had my airbrush since Xmas and still havent made any money back yet. I need lots of practice I know but a course would be good.

Many thanks

Heather X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back