Another acrylics question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunflowerfi

Reaction score
Hi
Forgive me for such a novice question. I am just starting out doing acrylics at college on my level 2 nail course. We are using CND as a brand and I like it so far.
I am just confused about the different types of tip available-we are training with natural coloured velocity tips with a small well. These tips require blending. Am I right in assuming that the white and clear tips do not require blending? If so why use the natural ones at all -would it not be better to use the white tips for French and clear tips for colour?
Also, when I have chatted to people who wear acrylics they have said that the actual acrylic powder is coloured but looking at the CND powders they don't seem to offer colours (or is this where glitters and additives come in?)

Sorry if these questions sound thick-just trying to get my head around it all. I have never had nail extensions on myself so I am a complete virgin so to speak.
Many thanks

Yes you can use well less tips in whatever colour that don't need blending. It is good to learn blending though as you sometimes do need to use tips with wells for example on nail biters. So you can have that skill in blending the tips in.
You can get pink, white and clear basic acrylic powders and the additives can be used to make other colours

Clear tips are used for gel enhancements to enable a full cure but for a clean finish you still need to blend them. You can use them for acrylic but I prefer using natural tips as they look more, well, natural!

White tips are a quick way of offering a French however I would hope that you would be taught how to create French with using the coloured powders, in pink and white as it is a much nicer finish. I personally have never felt the need to use white tips.

CND powders do come in different colours but they are reducing the range so you can create custom colours using the additives.

Thanks. Yes I think this is why the tutor is encouraging us to use the natural tips so that we can learn to create French using the pink and white acrylic rather than relying on a white tip.
So is the additive added to the acrylic power to create a new colour?
Its such a mine field-I am really enjoying it but there is so much to learn and I think having never worn acrylics myself I am at a disadvatnge as I am not so clued up on what is available.

I would agree that's probably what your tutor is doing its a far more professional way of creating a French look and a skill in its own right.

Additives can be mixed with the powder to create pretty much any colour you like but the ratio of additive : powder must not exceed 30:70 as it then affects the cure.

Latest posts

Back