Another gel nail polish system discounted for non professionals

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deedee84

Reaction score
Why are these system being allowed to be sold through these voucher sites. The kits with lamps being sold to non professionals. The amount of people I have spoken to lately when out and about ive commented on there nails and they reply its shellac I do it myself bought it off line? I dont think its shellac. Or my mum bought the kit off line
Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek

It'll be bluesky shellac.
I've said this many times before but it bears repeating.
I have cupboards full of ingredients. Does it make me Nigella? In a parallel universe, maybe!

There have always been women who have painted their own nails, who have enjoyed experimenting with polish and who relax by creating their own little designs - it's probably how most of us on here got started.

Conversly, there have always been women who preferred to visit the salon, whether it's because they enjoy the relaxing atmosphere or because they don't have the time to spare to do it themselves. Or because they appreciate the beauty of a flawless, professional polish job - it truly is a skill. And one that a lot of women just do not have.

This will not harm your business. Most of the people who buy this will use it once or twice and then get fed up with their polish not lasting and will then return to you. Or they weren't your clients to begin with. Again, they'll use it once or twice and then stick it in the back of the cupboard.

Having said that, I don't like the idea of products that should really have training behind them being sold to the public. Imagine the potential reactions :eek:

Also, it'll not be CND Shellac - unless it's an illegal import or resell. Support your distributors, girlies; they can help stomp these avenues out!

Actually, they can't...
The distributors will inform the manufacturers who can and may do something about it, but the distributor itself can do no more than that.
I once reported a salon who advertised that they were using shellac on my client who was on holiday, but it was actually another brand "because it lasts longer than shellac"
The lovely S2 team said they would let CND know but they themselves could do only that.

There was a customer of s2 who was illegally reselling on ebay. S/he'd been spending tens of thousands of pounds with s2 every single month. When they found out that it was her, they closed her account.

By all means, it is not a quick process. But it can be done if suspected.

It's awful!
A friend of mine recently bought one of these kits, and surprise surprise..BlueSky! She wanted me to show her how to use it and, despite lecturing her how horrible this stuff is, I caved in and showed her what to do.
It is absolutely awful. It smells so toxic, and at one point I started having a sneezing fit. It was very thick and gloopy and hardly lasted a week on her nails. I had to laugh at the irony as on the bottle it had a little *TM next to 'shellac'...oh boy..:(

And as the others have said it now sits at the back of her cupboard and has her certified CND shellac done by me. :) xx

I have been looking at various forums of this nature and a few of us nail techs decided to try this bluesky out, fully insured by our insurance as it now has an MSDS sheet, it went on the same and CND, is removed the same, lasts the same amount of time and has a wider colour range, I am now very confused about it, I'm slightly tempted to butsli

I have been looking at various forums of this nature and a few of us nail techs decided to try this bluesky out, fully insured by our insurance as it now has an MSDS sheet, it went on the same and CND IT DOESN'T, is removed the same IT ISN'T, lasts the same amount of time IT DOESN'T and has a wider colour range, I am now very confused about it, I'm slightly tempted to butsli

It's more damaging, needs more prep, needs more soaking, needs scraping off, has no science at all behind it, but if that's the kind of work you do and the kind of product you like, who am I to stop you ? .....

YOU CAN OFTEN DEFINE YOURSELF AND YOUR BUSINESS BY THE PRODUCT YOU USE .... can you honestly say you are proud to use this cheap crap?, are you proud to tell your clients you are using a cheap copy that they can buy themselves from Ebay? Do you like to be called GENERIC ?

Is business so bad that you have to save money by using Chinese product? How would you feel if your hairstylist or beautician did the same? Or your car mechanic used cheaper parts made god knows where?

Professional is as professional does. There are no short cuts. Being a professional means using the best tools you can find, learning to use these to the best of your abilities by taking regular advanced classes and then earning your reputation over time.

Saving 50 pence on materials per customer by buying cheaper products is not good business sense. Do you know any top nail tech who does this? Did you really come into this business to always work at the bottom? Is your ambition so low that you only want to run after the cheap and customers all of your life?

Who is the smarter person? The one that earn £30,000 a year and works 40 hours a week, or the person who earns £30,000 and works 60 hours a week? It's not how hard you work that's important - it's how much money you can make per hour.

Remember, any fool can sell a product or service cheap. Until the next fool comes along who is cheaper.

Let me tell you a real story. A friend of ours became a nail tech in 2008 and opened her own salon and school in Tallinn (Estonia) two years ago. Today she has 8 nail techs, a beautician and charges the highest prices in Tallinn. How did she achieve this? By taking advanced education (with us) and entering competitions - last year she won 4 gold medals in the USA. A student and now employee of hers, won a gold medal and two silver medals at Nailympics in London last year - she had been a nail tech for FOUR months.

I sincerely believe that anyone can be successful in this industry, if they have the enthusiasm, dedication, are willing to work hard and know how to work smart. So please, don't look to save 50 pence per customer - have a little pride in what you do and also look at how you can develop and be the most expensive in town.

:hug::hug::hug:

Here's an example of her work:

2013-05-19_Prihodko_IkoniQ_IMG_0019_zps1d058105.jpg

Last edited:
Is business so bad that you have to save money by using Chinese product? How would you feel if your hairstylist or beautician did the same? Or your car mechanic used cheaper parts made god knows where?

Professional is as professional does. There are no short cuts. Being a professional means using the best tools you can find, learning to use these to the best of your abilities by taking regular advanced classes and then earning your reputation over time.

Saving 50 pence on materials per customer by buying cheaper products is not good business sense. Do you know any top nail tech who does this? Did you really come into this business to always work at the bottom? Is your ambition so low that you only want to run after the cheap and customers all of your life?

Who is the smarter person? The one that earn £30,000 a year and works 40 hours a week, or the person who earns £30,000 and works 60 hours a week? It's not how hard you work that's important - it's how much money you can make per hour.

Remember, any fool can sell a product or service cheap. Until the next fool comes along who is cheaper.

Let me tell you a real story. A friend of ours became a nail tech in 2008 and opened her own salon and school in Tallinn (Estonia) two years ago. Today she has 8 nail techs, a beautician and charges the highest prices in Tallinn. How did she achieve this? By taking advanced education (with us) and entering competitions - last year she won 4 gold medals in the USA. A student and now employee of hers, won a gold medal and two silver medals at Nailympics in London last year - she had been a nail tech for FOUR months.

I sincerely believe that anyone can be successful in this industry, if they have the enthusiasm, dedication, are willing to work hard and know how to work smart. So please, don't look to save 50 pence per customer - have a little pride in what you do and also look at how you can develop and be the most expensive in town.

:hug::hug::hug:

Here's an example of her work:

2013-05-19_Prihodko_IkoniQ_IMG_0019_zps1d058105.jpg

Oh my goodness. I just have to say these nails are absolutely beautiful xx

I have been looking at various forums of this nature and a few of us nail techs decided to try this bluesky out, fully insured by our insurance as it now has an MSDS sheet, it went on the same and CND, is removed the same, lasts the same amount of time and has a wider colour range, I am now very confused about it, I'm slightly tempted to butsli

Sorry but call yourself a professional but your buying your products from somewhere like eBay?
Do me a favour
Sorry but I'm going to sound totally rude here as it angers me!
Im tired of people saying "but its got msds" and "my insurance covers me"
No your insurance won't cover you if you are not buying your products from the correct supplier. Also why anyone would want to use a cheap knock off brand is beyond me.
Some people need to get educated.

When I see a proper website, marketing & training for this bluesky rubbish then I might change my attitude but until then I'm dead against it.

Obviously it's your decision what you do and your business. Personally, I stick to CND Shellac because it is a very well know and trusted brand. We know what is in it and that it will be very unlikely that our clients will have any bad reactions to it. Plus if anything ever went wrong, which I have complete faith it won't, CND would be behind us. Not sure you'd get a lot from Bluesky.

All potential or existing clients have to do is search on google for information on Bluesky VS CND, come across this forum full of lots of highly trained and experienced nail techs slamming it and change their minds about going for that service. Or they could come across the product on ebay themselves, see how cheap it is and decide they want to play 'nail tech' for a while. I don't think you can get the full CND service on ebay?

If it's the price and range of colours throwing you off wanting to use CND Shellac just have a little more faith in yourself and the product if you choose it. People WILL pay for a good service, plus you can use additives and layer the colours to create new ones. Lots of training available with Sweet Squared for more ideas. Not sure Bluesky has this?

As I said, completely up to you what you do with your business, but these are a few reasons why I won't be swayed from CND Shellac ;)

Latest posts

Back