Another salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelldavis

Reaction score
Hi ladies need some advice! I have the chance to open another salon but not sure if to take it on? I have a fab business already but the chance has come up for me to rent space in a popular hairdressers that has just opened? The guy has brought all his clients with him from the city so it seems like an option not to miss?

Is it a good area? How far is it from your other salon?
I had my first salon 2 years when I opened my 2nd one. It was hard work to start with as I found it I had at least double the amount if things to deal with. But it helped that I already knew what I needed and how to do things.
I'd say do your researches and if you are prepared to put in a lot more of your time - think weekend and late nights, including Sunday admin work (I never stop, even doing homework with my little one I have a piece of paper writing down what stock I need or shifts to cover holidays ), go for it.
I love it and wouldn't do anything else.

July x

If it was me, a key question I'd be asking myself is "what would expanding my business give me that I don't already have with the business as it currently is?"

Other than that, I'd go with my instinct.

Small is beautiful! Remember that phrase. It will come back to haunt you.

YOU can't be everywhere. Your costs will double your income will not. You will loose control. The people you put in charge will steal from you ... No matter what you do. They will the think your success is because of them and that they are entitled to take your money, your stock and your clients. Their commitment to your business will not be your commitment no matter how generous you are to them or how great a boss you think you are. When they are sick, or skiving off work, you will have to pick up all the pieces.

If you are happy now and you have a thriving business then keep it all under one roof and expand and manage that business. Voice of experience speaking!

YOU can't be everywhere. Your costs will double your income will not. You will loose control. The people you put in charge will steal from you ... No matter what you do. They will the think your success is because of them and that they are entitled to take your money, your stock and your clients. Their commitment to your business will not be your commitment no matter how generous you are to them or how great a boss you think you are. When they are sick, or skiving off work, you will have to pick up all the pieces.

If you are happy now and you have a thriving business then keep it all under one roof and expand and manage that business. Voice of experience speaking!

Words of wisdom, can't say it better. W

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I don't know who you've had working for you but that's not how we work I find your comments rude and offensive , why would you even say that when you don't know who you are talking about , when your boss gives you respect you get respect back, you can't just brand all employees as liars and thieves

I don't know who you've had working for you but that's not how we work I find your comments rude and offensive , why would you even say that when you don't know who you are talking about , when your boss gives you respect you get respect back, you can't just brand all employees as liars and thieves

I second this. You must've had some bad experiences, Geeg.

You got to pick the right team, when I started out I had to deal with stealing, sickness, laziness you name it. But you learn with experience ! Now I have a great team, live in a different country to my business, only go back once a year.They do everything I just e mail wages info.Before I left I was a control freak lol.If you go fit it what's the worst that can happen ????

Sorry you don't like it but rude and offensive? Ridiculous!

Plenty of others will agree with me ... So much so, that it is a catch phrase!

I was an excellent boss ... Still friends 25 years later with many of my ex technicians but there were a few bad apples In otherwise great teams and over the years it will happen to everyone ... Even you perfect people. Ask anyone but by all means do call me rude and offense if it makes you happy ... Nice. It's my opinion and born of 25 years experience and I'm entitled to tell the other side of your perfect little tales. I had 4 salons, employed many many people over 15 years, have bags of experience and it happens, no matter how perfect a team you think you have or how perfect a boss you think you are especially when you are not around to manage. Cash business ... Easy peasy to steal and there will be ones who do it, same with products. Very naive to think differently.
Come back in 10 years time and tell me different! Lol

Last edited:
Why is it offensive to be told of the bad that can happen?
Unfortunately we do live in a world where there are not so nice people who won't give a hoot about your business AND yes there will be some who will cherish it the same as you do. Guaranteeing who you get it another matter.
Opinions where asked for and should be taken in the generous manner given, even if you don't like it :)
Vicki x

Yes opinions were asked and yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion and so am I, I stand by what I said. You never mentioned that you had good employees that are still great friends along with the bad ones too, of course there's always going to be good and bad but to say that the people you employ WILL steal not matter what you do did offend me you can't generalise that , as July said you have to weigh up all the options, we'd never do anything in life if we always looked on the negative side of things!

Yes opinions were asked and yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion and so am I, I stand by what I said. You never mentioned that you had good employees that are still great friends along with the bad ones too, of course there's always going to be good and bad but to say that the people you employ WILL steal not matter what you do did offend me you can't generalise that , as July said you have to weigh up all the options, we'd never do anything in life if we always looked on the negative side of things!

You actually thought that over 25 years in business i meant that every single employee I ever had stole from me? For Pete's sake! You must think so highly of me!

How many do you employ? How many years have you been a salon owner? As I say, come back in 10 years and tell me it has never happened to you! Ask Persianista ... Ask anyone at all who has employed technicians in their salon/s ... It is the rule rather than the exception believe me and very easy to generalise about it as far as giving advice. I stand by that.

BTW ... I am probably the most positive person you will ever meet in your life ... I am also a realist.

I think in any business, there will always be good and bad. My husband has ran businesses for 30 years and has learnt the hard way that even the most outwardly loyal of employees can give into temptation when the boss is working their behinds off trying to expand and keep business coming through the door. It is a hard thing to get your head around but for every great employee, there is usually several with far less scruples and morals :( xx

I never said I had a salon or employed anyone i was just saying how I felt about certain comments made just feel that you have to look at things from all angles I'm just giving the employees side of things!

There are many angles to look at hun as well. It is difficult to be an employee knowing that you are honest, hardworking, loyal and do everything you can to your best ability and then hear that people will still have doubts about true intentions.

It is also difficult to not outwardly show caution and doubt about people in general when you have been stung despite being a fair and level headed employer. We used to employ my brother at my husband's business and even he, when the chance arose, stole customers, didn't book jobs in and did them in his spare time and such. It makes you very cynical and that isn't something that you can put to one side sadly especially when talking about the livlihood that puts food on your table xx

Totally agree with Geeg.

My staff are fabulous, all great people. Do they sit around, play on tinternet etc when my back is turned? of course!

It takes just one bad apple to turn a salon into pure poison. I have experienced this MANY times. I have had more theived off me by staff than you earn in a year.
As a result, my stock, money and equipment is constantly monitored. I can remote view my salons from wherever I am. I have to.
Preventing theft is better than solving the problems that it brings.

How is pointing out that some employees steal offensive? People steal, crime happens, prisons are full.

Some past employees have had some funny ideas about their entitlement.

Hi just got back from beauty uk and. can see this has raised a few eyebrows! Ive had my salon now for 5 years & yes I've had some bad apples but I can honestly say my girls now are fantastic trustworthy & very very loyal? That was never my main issue if I'm honest. The new location is good with a totally different clientele & already has a hair customer base. It would more to progress to a better level of financial security? Ps sarah your heart is always in the right place & my trust & faith in you is 100% but all comments are appreciated x

Latest posts

Back