Another unknown product removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissSassy

Pédicure Diplômée - Pédi Suisse
Reaction score
Hi all,

I removed an unknown product the other evening which had the following:
UV cured base coat, then regular polish, and then a UV cured top coat.

Does anyone know what it was? I've tried googling it but haven't found anything. I wrapped fingers in nourishing remover, waited around 10 minutes. It was pretty messy to remove as the red polish melted and bled all over the place and the base coat wasn't even touched by the remover.

Many thanks :)
Saskia

Haven't got an answer sorry but that sounds awful, did you get it all off in the end? Did you ask the client where it was from? Out of curiosity(I'm new to gel polish) how much do you charge for removal and do you charge more if its not yours?

Could it not be just a UV base and top coat then normal polish as you have said. Could have been done that way as they thought it would work?

I have seen posts on here before asking if this could be done. xx

My friend had a weird one couple of months ago, hard gel base not to thick as a overlay but she was told was gel polish base thinly applied over natural nail, nail polish and then a uv topcoat, she took ages getting it off and the colour a pink went everywhere but base took ages to lift at edges so in the end she had to buff of the base till tiny bits and then held soaking cotton wool, she said that was last time she ever would remove other people's so calleed gel polish took an hour or so.

Might be same sort of thing.

Haven't got an answer sorry but that sounds awful, did you get it all off in the end? Did you ask the client where it was from? Out of curiosity(I'm new to gel polish) how much do you charge for removal and do you charge more if its not yours?

I got it off in the end - I always do with unknowns, but it took me way too long and it a waste of my time.

Yes, she had it done in London somewhere and she mentioned which system but as I was so busy getting it off I forgot. It was definitely a reputable company - but I really don't remember and I've never heard of a 'sandwich' of UV cured and air dry products.

I don't charge more for removal - it's built into my price. If it's not my application, it doesn't change anything - it's my job to remove it. You mention that you are new to gel polish, before long you will be presented with someone else's work and it's helpful to know the removal procedure for the most common systems out there :)

Could it not be just a UV base and top coat then normal polish as you have said. Could have been done that way as they thought it would work?

I have seen posts on here before asking if this could be done. xx

No, it was definitely UV base, reg. polish and UV top. My client is pretty aware of what's being done to her hands as she's a very frequent user. Also it had shrivelled where the polish had not dried fast enough before they applied and cured the top coat - they mentioned this could happen. It looked bad and she couldn't wait for me to take it off. She also said she would never have it again!

My friend had a weird one couple of months ago, hard gel base not to thick as a overlay but she was told was gel polish base thinly applied over natural nail, nail polish and then a uv topcoat, she took ages getting it off and the colour a pink went everywhere but base took ages to lift at edges so in the end she had to buff of the base till tiny bits and then held soaking cotton wool, she said that was last time she ever would remove other people's so calleed gel polish took an hour or so.

Might be same sort of thing.

It was a thin coat of base and unfortunately I ended up doing the same as it was just taking way too long (almost 1h :eek:).

I will continue to remove other people's applications as you just can't expect not to, but I am trying to educate myself as to what might walk through my door. I've only been doing nails for 14 months so it's a long road ahead!

Could it have been young nails? I think their system lets you sandwich polish inbetween soak off base and top gel.

I charge to remove others work £5 per half an hour- if it wraps off in 10/15 I may not charge the client but have to prepare them if they have "shellac" that is actually some buff off nightmare that hour of time I've spent removing will be charged for. Time is money after all???

No, it would not be Youngnails . They do not recommend that kind of application . I use Youngnails product and it is fabulous . This "jelly sandwich" technique is all over YouTube for DIYers.

No, it would not be Youngnails . They do not recommend that kind of application . I use Youngnails product and it is fabulous . This "jelly sandwich" technique is all over YouTube for DIYers.

Shame that some salons by me are doing this too. I've had 3 clients all from the same place and they off with an e-file!

Vicki x

Hi all,

I removed an unknown product the other evening which had the following:
UV cured base coat, then regular polish, and then a UV cured top coat.

Does anyone know what it was? I've tried googling it but haven't found anything. I wrapped fingers in nourishing remover, waited around 10 minutes. It was pretty messy to remove as the red polish melted and bled all over the place and the base coat wasn't even touched by the remover.

Many thanks :)
Saskia

DIYers have doing this for a few years; it's called a "gelly sandwich" and puts regular nail polish between layers of gel base and top coat in an attempt to get the benefits of gel polish with regular polish. Also, it's a way to extend the range of available colors and continue to use favorite regular nail polishes. I am surprised to hear that you had a hard time removing it; it usually comes off very easily. I've tried it myself and I don't think it works particularly well. If I desperately want to use a favorite rnp, I layer it on top of a gel mani or Vitagel. I must confess, I am a bit disappointed to hear that pros are offering this as a service.

DIYers have doing this for a few years; it's called a "gelly sandwich" and puts regular nail polish between layers of gel base and top coat in an attempt to get the benefits of gel polish with regular polish. Also, it's a way to extend the range of available colors and continue to use favorite regular nail polishes. I am surprised to hear that you had a hard time removing it; it usually comes off very easily. I've tried it myself and I don't think it works particularly well. If I desperately want to use a favorite rnp, I layer it on top of a gel mani or Vitagel. I must confess, I am a bit disappointed to hear that pros are offering this as a service.

OK, so I now understand that this is a DIY service being done in a professional salon. Thanks for the explanation!

My client assured me this they were done at a reputable salon and a system that they use a lot. I couldn't argue as I have never heard of it before.

It was difficult to remove as when I took the wraps off, the colour was liquid and just bled right into the sidewalls and became a real mess. Then, once I got the colour off, I had to remove the base coat. Needless to say, I left her with a perfect set of Shellac Tropix nails which looked a hundred times better :biggrin:

Thanks again x

Thank you Trixiepdeluxe, now I know the term 'jelly sandwich' which describes it perfectly :)

One of the hairdressers in the salon where I have my nail room has this on her nails and has told me it is acrygel. I'm trying to convince her to let me do her nails.. still working on it.

Young nails did used to have instructions on how to use regular polish with their base and top maniQ gel. They also used to have instructions on mixing the regular polish with the clear maniQ (the one in the jar). I don't use maniQ anymore so I don't know whether thats changed but I know they used to say you could use regular polish with it. That was a pro product with their own manufacturers instructions on how to do it.

That is true, and it's not on their US site anymore I don't think . You just mix a little conventional nail laquer into some youngnails ManuQ clear gel. I did this back in school . If you don't put more than just a few drops , it did cure and seemed to wear well. But , when soaking off, the pigments from the laquer still always seemed to flood the whole area and make a mess. I DO NOT use this technique in my professional life! ManiQ clear gel is a wonderful base however ,once cured to , to apply nail laquer on top of.

Latest posts

Back