Answering the telephone...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melly07

Reaction score
Hi, I've put this in "biz" as I'm hoping they'll be a good response which people can learn from...

Although it's not quite the same, today I rang up my dentist to book an appointment and the girl on the other end answered after quite a few rings with "*ABC" (obviously fake name) and my immediate response was oh no hello then (didnt say this out loud) then I was explaining about my sore tooth she just replied with "14th June?" to which I explained I needed something sooner as it obviously was quite painful... throught the entire converation I felt as if I was on a convyer belt and really not valued.

So my question is this how to you get your staff to answer your telephone? do you also have set wording for enquiries?

I don't know whether it's because I work somewhere where we have a set conversation ect and been trained to answer the telephone correctly I'm being extra picky but it really isn't nice to be on the recieving end

xxx

We have general guidelines and a vaguely set conversation.... Something along the lines of "Good morning/afternoon/evening Rouge Hair and Beauty salon. This is X speaking, how may I help you?"

Thankfully my staff are quite good on the phone!

We answer Good morning/good afternoon then the name of my salon. My pet hate is when you call a company and they don't answer with the name.

We answer 'Good morning/afternoon 'name of the salon', Suzanne speaking how can I help you? Dont feel bad for being picky, you really have to be! Thats clients first impression of the salon! No matter how goodthe treatment is when you get it, you'll still be thinking of the 'rude' person who answered the phone and it will still bother you! I think its natural to be polite but some are different and it shows!

I used to ring my driving school up at the actual office and It was "(name)school of driving"
She used to answer the phone like "hello?" and that was it, I always felt awkwards saying "is this "(name)driving"

Why should I have to ask that they should say it when they answer! She answered as if I was about to have a causal chat with a friend it really grated on me! x

What about mobile people? I would have to use my personal number for work too so would it not be acceptable to say 'hello?' I suppose I could say 'hello cristie speaking how can I help you?' but what if a friend called that I didn't have their number, they would think I'd gone a bit posh haha x

I'm a mobile nail tech. I have my personal mobile number but also a separate pay as you go line which I use for business.... so I know whatever calls I get will be to do with nails.
I answer "Hello, Sei Bella Nails, Rowena speaking, how can I help?"

What about mobile people? I would have to use my personal number for work too so would it not be acceptable to say 'hello?' I suppose I could say 'hello cristie speaking how can I help you?' but what if a friend called that I didn't have their number, they would think I'd gone a bit posh haha x

Even if I was calling a mobile business I would think it highly unprofessional to answer the phone as if you are speaking to your friends. Get a separate phone for business if you must... Otherwise you just sound a bit like someone who's looking for casual easy money on the side, rather than a professional, serious business.

Separate work number is essential for mobile. I answer "Hello, V Nails". I agree it's totally unprofessional to just answer "hello".

Phones are so cheap there really is no excuse not to have a separate number. The other advantage of 2 phones is you can switch the work one off when you want/need to, like when you're on holiday.

We answer good morning/afternoon, name of salon, name of person who answers the call.

I think it is extremely unprofessional to answer any kind of call with anything other than your business name and announce your name. However, we live above the premises of the salon and we only installed one line. So family and friends either call when the salon is closed or use our personal mobiles to get hold of us. If it does ring outside of work hours there is an answerphone explaining our opening hours. I have received calls and answered them at various times, early morning and late evening. Then I answer hello as expect it to be someone I know. I am truly amazed that when I say "hello", they just carry on talking about appointments/cancellations or enquire about prices. I cannot understand why they think we would answer with "hello". I then have to explain that the number gets transferred to another number, they still carry on as if I am at reception.

This is such a good thread I am so glad I read it!

I only have 1 number and have just had some business cards printed so I have to keep it for the foreseeable, I am only just starting a mobile spray tanning business so I don't have regular clients yet, and sometimes I do answer just 'hello', NOT ANYMORE! I agree it is totally un=professional and I am mad at myself for doing it now!

Will be answering in a much better manner from now on. Thank you geeks :)

Sx

Were I work we also always answer with good morning/afternoon name of salon and whos speaking. Just keeps it all professional.

But I have answered my mobile/home phone with the above ha ha talk about taking your work home with you :D x

we also answer with good morning/afternoon...name of salon followed by can I help You ??

Always with a smile too as you can hear a smile over the phone I think :).

When i was with BT they used to enable you to have two numbers on one line, differentiated with a different ringtone. So we knew if was a beauty client or hair enabling the correct staff to take the different call, id imagine for anyone who works from home that would be a great option so you would know if it was clients or social call .

Well all the answers have been pretty similar.

Hello, Designer Nails, this is Gigi how can I help you? I have heard this stock answer a thousand times and usually, rattled off at a break neck speed by someone with no feeling behind it at all.

I actually would answer differently just to BE different and I would make everyone do it with feeling as if they mean it and not as if they are robots in a monotone.

And I'd have two or 3 answer messages so it didn't get boring as we deal with the same customers over and over again.

I'd probably say something like, Good Morning this is Gigi at Designer Nails. How can I assist you today?

or

Good evening, you have reached Designer Nails and this is Gigi speaking.

or

Designer Nails Good Afternoon! My name is gigi and I'm happy to help you.

Id do it this way to keep from being bored myself and just to be different and noticeable.

What about when a clients number is stored in your phone and you know it's them calling? I'm mobile and if I know who's calling I answer with "hi ...., how are you?" then how can I help you?

we also answer with good morning/afternoon...name of salon followed by can I help You ??

Always with a smile too as you can hear a smile over the phone I think :).

When i was with BT they used to enable you to have two numbers on one line, differentiated with a different ringtone. So we knew if was a beauty client or hair enabling the correct staff to take the different call, id imagine for anyone who works from home that would be a great option so you would know if it was clients or social call .

That is a great option the only problem we have with ours is that you cannot customise the answer machine as both calls get routed to the same answer machine message. We answer "hello ******* can I help you?"

x

Latest posts

Back