Antiviral essential oils?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchanting Beauty

Reaction score
Hi!
I’ve been recommended to use a water spray with antiviral essential oils when I return to work as a mobile therapist. Just want it to cleanse the air in my car between clients & also to spray in the area I will be working.
I just wondered if anyone had any advice on what to use?
I’ve been doing some research & I know I need a dispersing agent, & a glass spray bottle & have been looking at clove, cinnamon & rosemary oils but just wondering how to make a blend up & if there’s anything else I can add.
Any advice welcome please.

While there are actually a few medical studies about 3 essential oils that have anti viral properties, that is with direct application to a viral particle in lab conditions. Straight on skin and obviously there would be all sorts of burns and allergies. Diluted with carrier and of course that cytotoxic behaviour won’t be happening.

In the air they won’t do anything, they can’t magic virus particles away.

In lungs, they would only cause issues with oxygen transfer when inhaled which is why they should not be directly inhaled as it can actually cause pneumonia in and of itself.

They smell nice and make you feel relaxed and that should be as far as usage goes.

If you can smell essential oils with a mask on (which I can), i’d be more concerned with the fact whoever you are withs air is also being breathed in at the same time as the air is shared.

To protect yourself, as long as you are both wearing masks and face shields and disinfecting tools and surfaces and floor between each there is no reason to try and find a magic disinfecting oil.

You’d need to ‘cleanse the air’ with dettol, or simply and more effectively wait 30mins between clients, then disinfect surfaces and floors after the viral particles will have fallen onto them. The air won’t be a problem as long as you have the door shut with a mask on and don’t remove the mask until client is gone, room is cleaned and you aren’t in the room anymore.

Of course there are some benefits to using tea tree and eucalyptus when already ill with a virus, but if someone has a virus they certainly shouldn’t be in your hands having oils rubbed on them.

While there are actually a few medical studies about 3 essential oils that have anti viral properties, that is with direct application to a viral particle in lab conditions. Straight on skin and obviously there would be all sorts of burns and allergies. Diluted with carrier and of course that cytotoxic behaviour won’t be happening.

In the air they won’t do anything, they can’t magic virus particles away.

In lungs, they would only cause issues with oxygen transfer when inhaled which is why they should not be directly inhaled as it can actually cause pneumonia in and of itself.

They smell nice and make you feel relaxed and that should be as far as usage goes.

If you can smell essential oils with a mask on (which I can), i’d be more concerned with the fact whoever you are withs air is also being breathed in at the same time as the air is shared.

To protect yourself, as long as you are both wearing masks and face shields and disinfecting tools and surfaces and floor between each there is no reason to try and find a magic disinfecting oil.

You’d need to ‘cleanse the air’ with dettol, or simply and more effectively wait 30mins between clients, then disinfect surfaces and floors after the viral particles will have fallen onto them. The air won’t be a problem as long as you have the door shut with a mask on and don’t remove the mask until client is gone, room is cleaned and you aren’t in the room anymore.

Of course there are some benefits to using tea tree and eucalyptus when already ill with a virus, but if someone has a virus they certainly shouldn’t be in your hands having oils rubbed on them.
Thankyou, i’ve heard so many different things my heads spinning lol.
Unfortunately I am mobile so have no control in my environment (apart from my car & cleaning all my equipment once outside) so was hoping to use something inside the clients house when I arrive & to use on myself & my clothes to prevent transferring anything into my car.

Is it a recipe that you are asking for? is yes then read on

100ml size bottle
One third distilled witch hazel
Two thirds distilled water- purified water
20 drops of essential oils in total
Bergamot /lemon /tea tree /eucalyptus and that will give you a good balance of anti-septic oils. Personally I do not like cinnamon but it is anti viral so you could add it to the blend. Shake well before spraying.

Personally I would make up a hand sanitiser using 70% IPA and 30 % distilled water - around 2-3 drops of each as the alcohol will be a far better sanitiser than the with hazel/water blend. Plus the alcohol will dissolve the oils and become completely blended without the essential oils rising to the top of the bottle. So there will be no need to be shaken.

There is a mind calming effect from making blends and experimenting with compositions. If it helps you to de stress and enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy you will have achieved a great deal.

Make sure the client has had their windows open before you go in. That's what I will be asking my mobiles to do before I arrive.
The sanitiser spray can be used on the surfaces you put your things onto, so you won't technically be squirting it all around their room. You will have the benefit of at least doing something to make you feel less worried.
I will have a disposable apron to go into homes, and tea tree wipes for my arms when coming out. Thankfully I don't have that many mobile clients.
Hope that helps

Is it a recipe that you are asking for? is yes then read on

100ml size bottle
One third distilled witch hazel
Two thirds distilled water- purified water
20 drops of essential oils in total
Bergamot /lemon /tea tree /eucalyptus and that will give you a good balance of anti-septic oils. Personally I do not like cinnamon but it is anti viral so you could add it to the blend. Shake well before spraying.

Personally I would make up a hand sanitiser using 70% IPA and 30 % distilled water - around 2-3 drops of each as the alcohol will be a far better sanitiser than the with hazel/water blend. Plus the alcohol will dissolve the oils and become completely blended without the essential oils rising to the top of the bottle. So there will be no need to be shaken.

There is a mind calming effect from making blends and experimenting with compositions. If it helps you to de stress and enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy you will have achieved a great deal.

Make sure the client has had their windows open before you go in. That's what I will be asking my mobiles to do before I arrive.
The sanitiser spray can be used on the surfaces you put your things onto, so you won't technically be squirting it all around their room. You will have the benefit of at least doing something to make you feel less worried.
I will have a disposable apron to go into homes, and tea tree wipes for my arms when coming out. Thankfully I don't have that many mobile clients.
Hope that helps
Thanks RosieR, that helps a bit. Don’t need to worry about any surfaces as I take all my own tables etc & will use all the sanitisers, ppe etc

Thankyou, i’ve heard so many different things my heads spinning lol.
Unfortunately I am mobile so have no control in my environment (apart from my car & cleaning all my equipment once outside) so was hoping to use something inside the clients house when I arrive & to use on myself & my clothes to prevent transferring anything into my car.

I would personally just put a bin bag on my seat and wash my clothes and have a shower when I got in.

My friends in care homes use dettol on their clothes but so personally think it’s pointless when you are sharing the same air.

My aunt works with covid patients in an ambulance and she said if you were really that bothered use disinfectant spray but if she doesn’t and is still alive you don’t need to be sousing your clothes...please don’t rely on essential oils when you could use actual PPE and common sense.

Clothes dirty > wash hands > open washing machine and fill up > put clothes in > wash hands > turn it on > wash clothes on 60+ degrees > safe.

Both Wear masks > sanitise before and after wearing but don’t remove until away from clients house and alone > safe

Coating your clothes in essential oils > smells nice > won’t help in any way to kill coronavirus.

I’m really seriously concerned that you think spraying essential oils on your clothes will protect you.

To clarify, never ever make your own sanitiser. Adding 30% purified water or indeed any water to 70% alcohol would reduce its percentage of alcohol so it’s so diluted it’s basically water and will do nothing. Adding your own concoctions of oil will also prevent the alcohol from killing the virus. 70% Alcohol kills the virus in its purest form and doesn’t even need to be a hand gel. Yeah you could douse yourself in it so if you have a car accident you just straight blow up or you could wash your clothes when you get home which you should really do anyway when spending a day working with clients.

Last edited:
I would personally just put a bin bag on my seat and wash my clothes and have a shower when I got in.

My friends in care homes use dettol on their clothes but so personally think it’s pointless when you are sharing the same air.

My aunt works with covid patients in an ambulance and she said if you were really that bothered use disinfectant spray but if she doesn’t and is still alive you don’t need to be sousing your clothes...please don’t rely on essential oils when you could use actual PPE and common sense.

Clothes dirty > wash hands > open washing machine and fill up > put clothes in > wash hands > turn it on > wash clothes on 60+ degrees > safe.

Both Wear masks > sanitise before and after wearing but don’t remove until away from clients house and alone > safe

Coating your clothes in essential oils > smells nice > won’t help in any way to kill coronavirus.

I’m really seriously concerned that you think spraying essential oils on your clothes will protect you.

To clarify, never ever make your own sanitiser. Adding 30% purified water or indeed any water to 70% alcohol would reduce its percentage of alcohol so it’s so diluted it’s basically water and will do nothing. Adding your own concoctions of oil will also prevent the alcohol from killing the virus. 70% Alcohol kills the virus in its purest form and doesn’t even need to be a hand gel. Yeah you could douse yourself in it so if you have a car accident you just straight blow up or you could wash your clothes when you get home which you should really do anyway when spending a day working with clients.
It was just suggested by someone else so thought I would see what the general opinion was. Obviously not a good one. Anyway, I already know I’m going to wear all the ppe & wash clothes & shower when I get home, not make my own hand sanitiser, clean everything after I leave clients. Trust me, I have my head screwed on.
Thanks for your views.

Latest posts

Back