Anxiety/stress coping methods

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pebblesxo

Reaction score
Hey.

So I've went to post this thread a few times and haven't so here goes!
I've been under a lot of stress this year way more than usual (personal problems not due to work/college) and was just wondering if anyone has any coping methods? I'm starting to not enjoy everything I do now because the stress is causing me to be run down and I'm emotionally and physically drained!

Courts xo

i went to the doctors about it but he said he didn't want to start me on medication at a young age if it wasn't necessary! so he gave me this website to have a look at first!
http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety.htm

i barely worked for a few months but it wasn't to do with work it was my personal life but it stopped me from doing everything! hopefully that website might be some help to you xx

Dr has gave me med's, been on a lot this year actually as the stress is making ill and to top it all off the court case has been put back again!!
i'll have a look though thank you xxxx

I can understand this.. I have really bad anxiety and I'm on busiprone mirtazapine and sertraline

Has the doctor not prescribed propranolol? This amazing pill takes away the anxiety symptoms - tight chest, feeling sick, wobbliness etc... It works pretty instantly aswell. I only take it when I'm feeling really anxious. Which I did a couple of weeks ago. I was going to New York and my anxieties spiralled out of control. It was horrible. I very nearly didn't make it to the airport but I did. I felt completely exhausted dealing with it but the propranolol meant I wouldn't have a complete breakdown which is one of my fears.
I think a lot of people think you can just snap out of feeling anxious and can easily get frustrated with it. It's a tough one to suffer with!

i think i am a natural worrier and i get myself bogged down with things on a regular basis. i went to the docs to request counselling/cbt when i got really down after a period of losing jobs and it was really good - i noticed a difference from start to finish and i still have all the info sheets and stuff in a folder in my wardrobe to refer back to if i need to. i just needed somebody to help me out of the hole - i wouldnt have stuck with a self help/online approach. i felt literally depressed like i had no enjoyment in anything anymore and i just wanted to sit and do nothing. i was really against taking medication. i also experienced panic attacks at school and even tried hypnosis - each situation that i went to get help for was different and each solution was different. recently i went through a real period of stress and constant anxiety, i actually had nervous shivers 24/7 and couldnt relax, ive never experienced that before. but it was related to school/work and a week off helped enormously. as i say, every situation and solution is different but i think it would be worth trying counselling as it really helped me manage my thoughts and change my perceptions as of course when you get worried and anxious you 100% believe the anxiety and you cant see things logically. this document/booklet is pretty similar to the sort of thing that helped me http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/Anxiety.asp

Have a look into CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy.) This helps you to find ways to cope with your anxiety and stress. If you go and see your GP you usually have a telephone assessment and then attend sessions.

Always make sure you do your own research if you are prescribed anything, it's not a one size fits all. What works for someone else may not be right for you.

I hope you find the calm and peace you are after, anxiety can be a horrible thing!xx

I have also done CBT which was specific to one thing I was anxious about. Like all anxiety it never just stays with one things it morphs into something else. Although CBT helped me gain a different perspective and helped me look/think logically it didn't take away the anxiety feeling. I appreciate everyone has different views towards medication and I respect that. For me though I just wanted that feeling of anxiety to go away above anything else and that's what medication does. My anxiety flares up when there's a certain situation. Luckily I don't suffer with it all the time but it does mean I avoid certain situations.

I've been to the DR's non stop this year, I'm on matrizapine or how ever its spelt, but I've been on sleeping tablets as well. I'm going to phone on Monday for another appointment because I know how much stress I can take normally I am very good at dealing with stuff but I know its getting out of hand now and I'm about to explode! I'm a bit more calmer the now but it just doesn't help that the court case i'm going through keeps getting pushed back due to other cases taking more priority than mine and i wouldn't mind if they were more serious than mine but they haven't been.
I just want it over so i can look forward to opening up my own studio next February!
Thanks for advice will speak to my DR when i get an appt xx

Anytime you want to talk if it gets too much then just private message. It's sometimes easier with someone who understands anxiety.

Hi Pebbles, I tried hypnotherapy sessions for my anxiety. Some are pricey but it did help. I would call it 'deep relaxation' as opposed to hypnotherapy.

There's something called 'Grounding' which can also help when you feel you're about to have an anxiety attack. It's along the same lines as mindfulness.

I also do yoga which is focussing on breathing, I found it so helpful. Hope you can find something that helps you xxxx

Hey.

So I've went to post this thread a few times and haven't so here goes!
I've been under a lot of stress this year way more than usual (personal problems not due to work/college) and was just wondering if anyone has any coping methods? I'm starting to not enjoy everything I do now because the stress is causing me to be run down and I'm emotionally and physically drained!

Courts xo
I have anxiety issues myself and unfortunately has effected me greatly. Not just work...I work as a teaching assistant and also been trying to build my clients up slowly doing massage. Indian head and swedish mainly. I have suffered with vertigo on and off for almost a year and the symptoms have not gone as yet, therefore been unable to study and learn more about the holistic side of things.
I honestly think you are not alone. There are may reasons why we feel the way we do. I have found mindfulness a great help, just being able to relax and me be more aware. If the doctor has prescribed you anything then take it and do ask for help. Regretably I thought I was coping and ended up being worse for wear to a point I am absolutely exhausted feeling worthless.
I do the following now to help me cope. I take a warm bath...sounds simple but true and listen to soothing music. I have started to learn about meditation and there are a few on you tube. I take regualr massages myself. If you can exchange with anyone then do so..both will benefit. I watch Mrs Browns Boys DVD or TV ( yes laughing releases natural chemicals to the brain serotonin -also found in bananas) Sleep...sounds simple I know but not getting enough sleep deprives our energy levels. Hug, yes hugs are simply wonderful...Oxycontin (the little book of mindfulness by Dr Patriia Collard) I hope this helps. Big hugs hun...

i think i am a natural worrier and i get myself bogged down with things on a regular basis. i went to the docs to request counselling/cbt when i got really down after a period of losing jobs and it was really good - i noticed a difference from start to finish and i still have all the info sheets and stuff in a folder in my wardrobe to refer back to if i need to. i just needed somebody to help me out of the hole - i wouldnt have stuck with a self help/online approach. i felt literally depressed like i had no enjoyment in anything anymore and i just wanted to sit and do nothing. i was really against taking medication. i also experienced panic attacks at school and even tried hypnosis - each situation that i went to get help for was different and each solution was different. recently i went through a real period of stress and constant anxiety, i actually had nervous shivers 24/7 and couldnt relax, ive never experienced that before. but it was related to school/work and a week off helped enormously. as i say, every situation and solution is different but i think it would be worth trying counselling as it really helped me manage my thoughts and change my perceptions as of course when you get worried and anxious you 100% believe the anxiety and you cant see things logically. this document/booklet is pretty similar to the sort of thing that helped me http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/Anxiety.asp
Oh moodjuice was good and put some of my thoughts in order...thanks for sharing!

Sorry I haven't replied sooner been so busy but thank you everyone!
I'm going to look in to everything you's have all mentioned when I have a little spare time, some really really good advice and I appreciate it all <3.
I'm having a relaxed day off today.
But thank you all again! xxxxx

I know this is an old thread but I'm so pleased I found it as my 16 year old suffers terrible anxiety and panic attacks, she's been for cbt but did 2 sessions and refused to go back, I try desperately to help her cope but to be honest it's affecting me now too as she takes everything out on me and I feel so helpless. How can I help her when she won't go back to the doctor to get help?

I know this is an old thread but I'm so pleased I found it as my 16 year old suffers terrible anxiety and panic attacks, she's been for cbt but did 2 sessions and refused to go back, I try desperately to help her cope but to be honest it's affecting me now too as she takes everything out on me and I feel so helpless. How can I help her when she won't go back to the doctor to get help?

Have got discussed why she refuses to go back? What was it she disliked about CBT? I admit it is daunting but can be extremely helpful.
The problem is until someone is ready to accept help and work on it themselves they won't.

She just says it's a waste of time and won't give specific reasons why.
I think I have to accept that until she wants to help herself I can't do anymore :-(

I've suffered with stress and anxiety for years and for years my family have said I am going to make myself Ill with it if I'm not careful so i have just started having acupuncture for this.

I had my second session yesterday and can honestly say I found it totally chilled me out. Everytime I feel stressed or anxious I have a little word with myself and make an effort to make myself relax.

I found CBT a weird thing... Sometimes (often in the actual sessions and just after) I felt like I really understood everything and was slowly making progress. Then other times, it felt like it was a waste of time; that I was just using my counsellors diagnosis of low mood, anxiety and depression as an excuse. I managed to get through the course of ten or so sessions for generalised anxiety and I have to say I HAVE seen improvements. I think actually most people I've spoken to don't always feel like CBT is helping straight away and as I studied psychology I thought I already knew how CBT worked and how the mind worked to create anxiety etc but my counsellor was good.. She even tried to bring on the symptoms that led me into anxiety so we could try and work through recovering from it in a safe environment. Taxidoll if your daughter accepts she needs help then just going to a few won't achieve anything. I'm assuming her sessions are on the NHS in which case what does she lose by going, apart from an hour of her day once a week? If it hasn't done anything then her counsellor and or GP Will then be able to discuss other options.. Which half of the time are drugs, often with addictive traits that can take a while to be weaned off. Nothing is a quick fix, but I'm sure she's less likely to want to foresee at least a few years of drug trial and errors to find what's right for her than to try and get through a few months of CBT incase that helps? X

Thank you, I am going to have a chat with her about giving cbt another go, I certainly don't want her going down the medication route if it's not necessary.
I think she is the type of girl who thinks if she buries her head it will all go away but it won't and it's ruining her life.
She couldn't attend her taster day at college because she was awake all night stressing and then had a massive panic attack.

Latest posts

Back