Any alternative to Kolinsky brushes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datgirltwista

Reaction score
i found this article
http://wildcarnivore.blogspot.com/2006/02/kolinsky-fur-brushes.html

i just ordered a set of 6 brushes and i had the bad idea to do some ressearch to know what a kolinsky was

it s a kind of siberian weasel looking kinda cute actually
cf-04810.jpg

i feel bad now to be a part of this
but what if there s nothing else to do 3 d and nails ???

if anybody knows the solution
i would rather use politically correct brushes
i also do painting i will look twice before buying brushes now :confused:

The kolinsky brush hair is taken only from their tail and they are not trapped and killed for it, rather they are bred in captivity!

:) Thanks for letting us know it comes from the tail Jac, i saw that cute picture and came over all strange :eek: Thanks :)

jac extreme said:
The kolinsky brush hair is taken only from their tail and they are not trapped and killed for it, rather they are bred in captivity!

thanks i feel better now :green:

well since i wear human hair weaves sometimes it s a lil bit the same ...
as long as they are not armed it s ok i guess
anyway thank you for the informations
i knew i would find good answers on here
but for those that still don t want to use animal hair is there any other good brushes for acrylic systems?

jac extreme said:

Hi Jac,

To be honest, I don't think this debate / question was every truly answered or settled.

Geeg confirmed that no animals were killed in the making of CREATIVE brushes, however, we still don't know about the host of other brushes on the market.

River

datgirltwista said:
well since i wear human hair weaves sometimes it s a lil bit the same ...
as long as they are not armed it s ok i guess
anyway thank you for the informations
i knew i would find good answers on here
but for those that still don t want to use animal hair is there any other good brushes for acrylic systems?
there really is no substitute for kolinsky in the type of work we do.there is currently no synthetic hair that has the absorbancy and performance to match the real thing.

for those interested in how brushes are made, look on www.rosemaryandco.com

angel fingers said:
there really is no substitute for kolinsky in the type of work we do.there is currently no synthetic hair that has the absorbancy and performance to match the real thing.

for those interested in how brushes are made, look on www.rosemaryandco.com

Hi,

Had a look at how they make brushes, but it doesn't actually state anything about the hair they use (i.e. how they obtain it).

River

River said:
Hi,

Had a look at how they make brushes, but it doesn't actually state anything about the hair they use (i.e. how they obtain it).

River

they are a friendly bunch there, maybe you could e mail a query to them.

angel fingers said:
they are a friendly bunch there, maybe you could e mail a query to them.

Already did !!

When they respond, I'll post the reply here.

River

Even if the animals are not 'hurt' or killed in the process, does this mean it's "ok"? It's not as if the animal has a say in the manner, so it's not at all the same as people using human hair for weaves. That hair is 'sold' or 'donated' as the case may be. People made the choice to cut their hair and sell it or donate it to charity (for cancer wigs). People are not bred in cages and getting their hair plucked out against their will.

I'm not a vegan or an activist or anything like that, but when I am able to make some choices, I do. Such as not wearing fur coats. I also have nothing against eating meat. Why? Lions eat meat and no one is telling them they're being immoral. It's a circle of life thing. But using animal hair for art is a bit different than eating a hamburger to fill your belly.

I think that when I do try L&P, I will "try" the other brushes, just to see. If nothing works, then I'll try Kolinsky. But knowing what I know now... gotta admit, kind of uncomfortable with it.:irked:

yeah that s true
but if there s no replacement for it what can we do
we are not gonna look for another job because of that :confused:

Well this is just my opinion but as Geeg says that animals are not killed for the fur used on Creative brushes I'm hoping the same goes for the other ones, EzFlow included as thats what I use. I hate to think of animals being killed for vanity but that said I am training to provide a good quality service so I'll use the best brushes to do that and right now thats the brush I have from EzFlow for me. If switching to another type of brush means the quality of what I am trying to produce is affected I'll stick to what I'm using until EzFlow or Creative say there is another type of fur thats just as good. I assume they use this fur because it gives the best possible results. I eat meat by choice, not because I need to in order to live so I'd feel a hypocrite getting upset about my brush.

I want to ring NSI right now and ask about what goes into the making of my brush - but lets face it, are they really going to turn around and say "yes, we kill animals to make your brush" - :eek:

How will I know for sure? Animal cruelty is something that actually makes me physically cry if I see stories in the paper or leaflets or adverts - it disturbs me so soo much and I hate it. I cant cope with the fact that an animal might have been killed to make my brush.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Creative has given the answer to their brushes - which is great (thanks geeg) - but how can we find out about other companies? For sure? :!:

and how do you know what is said is the truth ? i guess we all need to use a brush.
Let me slip into my vinyl shoes, my acrylic dressing gown, (made by well paid people in 3rd world countries) looking down at my watch on a plastic strap, sipping my lentil soup out of half a coconut (killed kosher of course) , feed some coal into the fire (because i don't want to use wood used from living/or past living trees) , wrap myself in a hemp rug (i hate hemp, it makes me itch) and think about it!!!!!! (while spinning wool from discarded fur from my poodle to make mittens of course), all the while bugs running around my feet because lord knows i wouldn't want to use an insecticide to keep my house clean of parasites, of course tears are running from my eyes because i feel pity for those poor carrots i chopped up to use in my soup for dinner (and heres you thinking it was only onions that made you cry) ......... where the hell does it all end ??????

nailzoo said:
and how do you know what is said is the truth ? i guess we all need to use a brush.
Let me slip into my vinyl shoes, my acrylic dressing gown, (made by well paid people in 3rd world countries) looking down at my watch on a plastic strap, sipping my lentil soup out of half a coconut (killed kosher of course) , feed some coal into the fire (because i don't want to use wood used from living/or past living trees) , wrap myself in a hemp rug (i hate hemp, it makes me itch) and think about it!!!!!! (while spinning wool from discarded fur from my poodle to make mittens of course), all the while bugs running around my feet because lord knows i wouldn't want to use an insecticide to keep my house clean of parasites, of course tears are running from my eyes because i feel pity for those poor carrots i chopped up to use in my soup for dinner (and heres you thinking it was only onions that made you cry) ......... where the hell does it all end ??????

I just do not agree with cruelty to animals. I eat meat - not alot of the time, but I do - because animals that are killed for food at slaughter houses are mostly killed in a humane way. If an animal is killed instantly, and does not suffer - then at least they have felt no pain. Things like slitting animal's throats and hanging them upside down to die is just horrific. Disgusting.

I dont agree with animal testing for cosmetics etc - they way they are kept and are treated etc - but if it is completely neccesary for the survival of people with life threatening illnesses then yes - that is something that HAS to be done, and can benefit a hell of alot of people.

All I am worried about is if these animals are killed by being, say, 'clubbed over the head' for example - like baby seals - their tails cut off whilst they are still alive, etc etc -
That I do not agree with. If an animal has to suffer - I personally think it is wrong. I'm no big 'protestor' or any thing - but if I could get a brush that is not made by harming an animal - I would prefer it. :)

Latest posts

Back