Any artists?? Oil paint Q

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
OK I decided to re-decorate my 16 year olds room and make it more grown up...ie NO POSTERS.
So he looked at some abstract pics on canvas and they were about £100 for 3. No way was I paying that.
I decided to do my own but I haven't used oils since the 80's at art college and I used oils for a kindof rippled effect with colour.
He likes them but ermmm...they haven't dried and I painted them on Monday:eek:
Can they ever dry or am I flogging a dead horse with this?
Should I just bin them? Or will they dry..one day?

Attachments

• jordans pics.jpg
    jordans pics.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 79
Don't bin them! I think they can take a few weeks to dry and if the paint has been applied thickly, i.e for ripples, then possibly longer.

Next time try acrylics, they look similar and you can apply them thickly but they dry quite quickly :)

Don't bin them! I think they can take a few weeks to dry and if the paint has been applied thickly, i.e for ripples, then possibly longer.

Next time try acrylics, they look similar and you can apply them thickly but they dry quite quickly :)

OK I won't bin them..yet
I thought oils would look better but wish I'd used acrylics now...I'll put them in the garage so they don't keep annoying me:lol:
Thanks hun xxx

ohhh jude mate, dont bin them they are fab!!
stick em outside your house with a 100 quid price tag on theyll soon go!!
you should do more xx

I'd leave them to dry for a bit longer Judy, it looks as if some of the ripples are quite thick...

they're great pictures :D

In retrospect it would have cheaper to buy the pics....I had to throw all my clothes away when I finished painting:lol:

In retrospect it would have cheaper to buy the pics....I had to throw all my clothes away when I finished painting:lol:
That'll teach you to wear your VB jeans while you've got your creativity head on lol

and those fmb boots!! ha ha

Oil paints can take weeks to dry right through if the are applied thickly.
As the weather is cooling I wouldn't leave them in the garage though they could take even longer:)

Oil paints can take weeks to dry right through if the are applied thickly.
As the weather is cooling I wouldn't leave them in the garage though they could take even longer:)

Good thinking Adele..I'll put them in the conservatory instead it's always warm in there x

OK I decided to re-decorate my 16 year olds room and make it more grown up...ie NO POSTERS.
So he looked at some abstract pics on canvas and they were about £100 for 3. No way was I paying that.
I decided to do my own but I haven't used oils since the 80's at art college and I used oils for a kindof rippled effect with colour.

Hi hun, i brought some oil paintings from ebay and they had been coated in an oil type substance i think to stop them smudging the same way oil stops ya polish smudging iykwim.

I also paint in my spare time and i only ever use acrylics. i used to sell on ebay now i have them up in restaurants and people buy them from there or wom and i get commisions.
I have some on my myspace page albums check them out.
HTH hun.
By the way how is ya new tatt s it settling down ok?
:hug:
Jen

it can 7 days to a few weeks judy...its the linseed that makes it dry so slow.

Oil used to be my main medium... I used to pop my canvas in the Hot water cupboard (where the hot water cylinder is) keeps a nice stable 20 odd deg in there, and helps the oil paint to cure thru faster... still some took from 7 -40 days depending on the thickness.

Latest posts

Back