Any course/training advice for mature student?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happymand

Reaction score
Hi all - well I completed the NVQ Level 1 in 2010 because the College I attended demanded we all complete that before going onto NVQ Level 2 (costing about (£300 and odd). However and this is the kicker.... they then changed to the VRQs (we were told that during our course so that was a disappointment as NVQ Level 1 is not required to go on the VRQ Level 2).

In 2011 I was thinking about doing the VRQ Level 2 (one evening and Saturday morning for a year) but no funding available and they wanted £900. I wasn't convinced that even if I put it on a deferred credit card that I would be working by the time I needed to start repayments so I didn't proceed with the course. I was also disappointed that it would also mean that you needed to do VRQ Level 3 as well so that seemed to be two courses instead of perhaps doing the original NVQ Level 2 in one year (I am sure I could have volunteered somewhere if salon placement was necessary).

Today I phoned the local College to be told that the VRQ Level 2 has been split into 2 courses now so two years instead of one at a cost of £600 a year so that's a total of £1,200 instead of last year's £900 plus an additional year of my life. I asked if I could go straight onto the part 2 of the VRQ given my NVQ Level 1 but alas no as the units done in part 1 go towards the full VRQ. She informed me that they have split the course into two parts due to student pressure as apparently the students said it was too much to do in one year.

I appreciate Colleges are clearly businesses but I feel like I have been stung and feel really down about it. :sad:

I live near Manchester so if anyone can please give me any advice as to what to do and perhaps where I would be so happy - I am fighting the urge for chocolate right now. Thank you for taking the time to read this x

Moving the goal posts. That must be really frustrating!

Are there any other colleges within a reasonable travelling distance that offer the level 2 course? Also, the funding arrangements differ from college to college. Some have additional funds for mature students that can help towards fees or equipment.

Once you do find a suitable course, my advice is: Don't rely on the college to actually teach you what you need to know!

They don't have the time to spend with individual students and the best thing is to use the tutors as mentors rather than trainers.

Read up your theory at home in advance of each session and that way, you can ask questions related to any aspects that are still unclear. Also, practise as much as possible on head blocks and friends & family. Make good use of online teaching materials and buy good quality training manuals, (second hand is fine).

I do appreciate that it isn't cheap but compared to £9000 per year for University fees plus living expenses, it's quite a bargain.

Lots of luck.

Hi all - well I completed the NVQ Level 1 in 2010 because the College I attended demanded we all complete that before going onto NVQ Level 2 (costing about (£300 and odd). However and this is the kicker.... they then changed to the VRQs (we were told that during our course so that was a disappointment as NVQ Level 1 is not required to go on the VRQ Level 2).

In 2011 I was thinking about doing the VRQ Level 2 (one evening and Saturday morning for a year) but no funding available and they wanted £900. I wasn't convinced that even if I put it on a deferred credit card that I would be working by the time I needed to start repayments so I didn't proceed with the course. I was also disappointed that it would also mean that you needed to do VRQ Level 3 as well so that seemed to be two courses instead of perhaps doing the original NVQ Level 2 in one year (I am sure I could have volunteered somewhere if salon placement was necessary).

Today I phoned the local College to be told that the VRQ Level 2 has been split into 2 courses now so two years instead of one at a cost of £600 a year so that's a total of £1,200 instead of last year's £900 plus an additional year of my life. I asked if I could go straight onto the part 2 of the VRQ given my NVQ Level 1 but alas no as the units done in part 1 go towards the full VRQ. She informed me that they have split the course into two parts due to student pressure as apparently the students said it was too much to do in one year.

I appreciate Colleges are clearly businesses but I feel like I have been stung and feel really down about it. :sad:

I live near Manchester so if anyone can please give me any advice as to what to do and perhaps where I would be so happy - I am fighting the urge for chocolate right now. Thank you for taking the time to read this x

the way the college you speak of has done it sounds far too messy.

to do an nvq or vrq level 2 you don't need to do the level 1 and i think it's misleading when colleges tell people this.

in terms of where you're at now, the good news is that you're surrounded by colleges in manchester so you'll have lots of choice regarding where to go and what qualification you want to do.

i definately recommend looking further than your local college. there are that many colleges in manchester that you'll easily be able to make a choice of course that is right for you.

Edit: because i recommended a beauty course and I just realised you're talking about hair!

Hi

Im in Stoke and Im starting my NVQ 2 part time Tuesday and Thursday evening 6pm - 9pm in Crewe it seems really good so far and Im enrolling in July

Im not sure if thats too far but thought Id input!

HI AcidPerm, laurakate and ClaireL - thank you for all your replies. I managed to pay off all my student debts (including a graduate loan) a few years ago but then the cuts to Local Government has really meant bad times in my usual profession and hence why I am looking to get out of it. I'll have to look at other colleges further afield and see if they can help with funding etc. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back