Any geeks with naturally long nails or looking to grow theirs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy_princess

Reaction score
Thought I'd make a thread on growing natural nails. Not enough women have them. My sister has gorgeous length and whenever she gets gel manis she always gets people asking if they're fake! if any girls wanna share any pics of your naturally long nails or want tips please share them :D

These are mine today, they don't look that long because of the angle lol

and here's a couple of old ones when they were pretty long and square

Here's a really old one with shorties

I can almost always grow them long, I never wear enhancements or even gel polish, just standard lacquer. I have a very high c curve and last winter I kept having to file them short as the tips were drying out and curling in, they were looking a little deformed and it was really bothering me. Now they are almond they seem to behave better but I often get issues with my thumbs.

Tip wise: moisturise like your life depends on it and always wear gloves! I wear gloves to wash my hair as it's like cheese wire and will slice up my nails if I don't. Oh and I am lucky to have an understanding hubby who does the majority of the washing up! Believe it or not I used to be a biter in my youth and I also have a tendency to onycholysis due to thyroid issues. The better you take care of your nails, the better they will grow. x

carly that first pic is gorgeous!! they are all nice but love that first one! x

Aw thank you Jodie! I only took it about an hour ago lol, let's hope the crystals stay on (as I said, it's only standard lacquer!).

These are mine today, they don't look that long because of the angle lol

and here's a couple of old ones when they were pretty long and square

Here's a really old one with shorties

I can almost always grow them long, I never wear enhancements or even gel polish, just standard lacquer. I have a very high c curve and last winter I kept having to file them short as the tips were drying out and curling in, they were looking a little deformed and it was really bothering me. Now they are almond they seem to behave better but I often get issues with my thumbs.

Tip wise: moisturise like your life depends on it and always wear gloves! I wear gloves to wash my hair as it's like cheese wire and will slice up my nails if I don't. Oh and I am lucky to have an understanding hubby who does the majority of the washing up! Believe it or not I used to be a biter in my youth and I also have a tendency to onycholysis due to thyroid issues. The better you take care of your nails, the better they will grow. x

I love that red glitter polish! What is it? I used to be a nail biter too. For 15 years of my life I couldn't even get my thumbs out my mouth. Never thought of washing my hair with gloves either might start doing that. If you soak your nails in warm olive oil a few times a week that improves massively with strength. And also I found I had an addiction to garlic and sea salt stir fried broccoli last year, my nails grew hard as rocks!

That china glaze is lovely! I've never tried their stuff before as I mainly just use gel polish but I've heard a few people say that they like it. What's the drying time like?

can i
Aw thank you Jodie! I only took it about an hour ago lol, let's hope the crystals stay on (as I said, it's only standard lacquer!).
can i ask are the flowers hand painted or is it a stamp or what is it?! i want it lol! x

My nails grow like a beast because of doing massage [emoji3]it works out quite well cause I don't do enhancement just natural nails. Apparently my phone doesn't let me add a photo though xxxx

My nails grow like a beast because of doing massage [emoji3]it works out quite well cause I don't do enhancement just natural nails. Apparently my phone doesn't let me add a photo though xxxx

Can you massage with long nails? I massaged a clients arms one time and she complained that my nails were too long and scratching her lol

The red is an indie brand called Pahlish and the shade is Pianos Filled With Flames :) The China Glaze is actually fairty dust, s sheer fine holo glitter topper, layered over an opaque silver glitter to make it a bit holo. I use Fairy Dust over all my gradients as it is the perfect sparkle and helps make the gradient look more blended. China Glaze is fab is general, I use Seche Vite top coat which dries everything super fast so I don't really pay attention to dry time. I always wash my hair with gloves, I find vinyl ones easier than the nitrile ones I use when doing nails. I get the vinyl ones out the pound shop, I only use them for washing hair so they last forever. Made a huge amount of difference to my nails! x

The flower is a stamp, I can't hand paint for the life of me! It's a full nail image hibiscus stamp, I just stamped at an angle to get it like that. The plate is Lealac XLB from Llarowe in the US.

The flower is a stamp, I can't hand paint for the life of me! It's a full nail image hibiscus stamp, I just stamped at an angle to get it like that. The plate is Lealac XLB from Llarowe in the US.
i cant either! infact im such a newbie im not very good at anything yet lol never tried stamping but ill give it a go! thankyou xx

These are mine at the mo the focus on my phone is messed up but you get the length. I find having them painted 90% of the time makes em less likely to break too
You can see my middle finger is the shortest. My middle finger nails have a low c curve so they tend to be the first to chip/break :( can I use a pinching tool on my natural nails?

Attachments

• 1434730600600.jpg
    1434730600600.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 199
I can grow my nails really long and they look nice however i hate the feel of long nails now. After entering the industry and short nails being a requirement i keep them short. Also l ove the feel of freshly cut and filed nails. Also knowing what sits under long nails makes me cringe too. Horsetail is supposed to be amazing at strengthing and growing nails.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1434816757.078981.jpg
My nails [emoji4] xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1434818494.272308.jpg

These were mine the other week after I took this photo about a week later I caught 2 nails in a draw and cut them all short again :-(

All your nails are so pretty!!! I'm wearing Barisa Lite hoping my nails will have a chance to grow out.

These are mine. I have since shortened them a bit but they are always super strong and get so long.

Attachments

• 1434824932743.jpg
    1434824932743.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 171
This is my current length

Attachments

• 1434825006722.jpg
    1434825006722.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 148
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1434825551.151834.jpg
silver one has acrylic over lay. They are all stained after doing 300 roots this week [emoji23] look gross on the other side

Latest posts

Back