Any ideas? Care Home treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat18

Reaction score
i don't know if this is in the right forum but i currently work in a care home and have been asked to do beauty once a week in the home. i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what sort of thing i could do and any things i would need to be careful of? :) thanks

I do mani/pedis at a assisted living facility. Depending on the health of your clients, this can be a challenging group of people.

I treat everyone like they are on a blood thinner!
Sometimes I have clients who fall asleep whilst I am polishing. :eek:
Some clients are so shaky, I have a difficult time polishing.
I have been lucky with pedis...the only ones I have done have really nice feet.

My advice is: smile a lot, treat them special, because they are. Listen to their stories even though you may hear the same story 5 times in the same apt. Have fun with them. Some are lonely and will welcome a fun and caring person to be with!

HTH and best of luck! :)

I don't speak from a beauty perspective here but a personal one :)
My nan was a VERY proud lady, she was always immaculately turned out, even if she was only popping down the shops for a loaf of bread!

She struggled more and more as she got older and thankfully was in a nursing home where my younger sister worked and she had a great carer too and so the little things that were important to her carried on - she loved having her nails done, she struggled doing her feet as age took its toll but having nice shapes nails with a clear polish made her feel like standards weren't slipping.

Some of them might be VERY aware of increased hair growth (again thankfully my younger sister was there and made sure nan's was dealt with ;) ) - speak to the supervising GP first for each potential client before carrying out anything but some ladies may in particular want facial hairs removing. Pick a suitable wax and ideally one that you use oil under to minimise potential for damage. But only go ahead after speaking to a GP!

Gentle hand and foot massage I imagine would go down well... If you already work there you have a fair idea of the problems with older skin and how thin it can be, how easy they will bruise and what different medications might do... :)

Are you qualified? If so what in?

thanks for the replys, very helpful :). i'm qualified in mani, pedi, facial, waxing, massage, eye treatments (level 3).

Some people like waxing, shape and polish on hands and a foot massage. You find they just like a bit of a pamper. I'd be more careful they can be more sensitive. Good lick

Hi

I work in a learning disabilities hospital doing treatments and the most popular are definitely manicures, closely followed by hand & arm massages (following consultations/contra indications as per normal).

You'll find some of the treatments can be more challenging (ie when people shake and you're polishing) but it does give you a fantastic feel good factor too.

Rich

I would suggest mani/pedi with mini massage, maybe wax for lip/chin area ?

Latest posts

Back