Any ideas for a gift fifty something year old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbabinks

Reaction score
I only have one person left to buy for - my mum!
Normally what happens is she gives you some ideas so close to christmas that you've already bought for her.
This year she has suggested perfume, but I dont think that's what she really wants I think she doesnt know yet and she can always do with perfume.

The problem is she is so hard to buy for if she doesnt give you a clue, she doesnt like gift vouchers cos unless she wants something from that shop she usually ends up selling them!:Grope:
She doesnt do smellies, she still has a set which I bought her over 4 years ago that she hasnt used!!

She does own a horse, but wouldnt have a clue what to get and she owns a house in France, still wouldnt have a clue.

Any ideas geeks greatfully received, otherwise it's going to be cash in a card!:rolleyes:

This year she has suggested perfume, but I dont think that's what she really wants I think she doesnt know yet and she can always do with perfume.
Mums and Mums-in-law can be very difficult to buy for. I usually get my mother in law an Estee Lauder gift set which includes her fave perfume, she will definitely use it and they usually have some sort of offer on for Christmas so you might get an extra gift thrown in too :D

not sure if its right for your mum, but i have so much trouble finding a gift for my dad. he told me that he doesnt need anything so this year i have purchased a goat from oxfam that will be sent to poor people in africa on his behalf.

how about the newspaper from the day she was born ?

Mums are the hardest.

It would be a few days early present but how about an Olympia ticket?

Or theres always Badminton in May.

But perfume is always a good fall back :)

x x x x x

What about a pamper day, i just got my mum one for xmas, from the mariot hotel, they do a package near me, 39.00 and u get a facial and back massage, and full use of there facilities, sauna, steam room, pool etc, and i get to go with her and spend the day together, perfect, gonna finish the day off and takeher for a meal after, HTH

I think a subscription to a magazine is nice, cos that way it last a whole 12 months and each month they have something to look forward too....maybe there is a monthly mag on horses...? x

Does she enjoy music at all?

For my FIL's (father in law) bday, I bought him a portable CD player with a carry case that also holds 8 cd's. He doesnt' have a pooter, so mp3 is no good for him. And since he doesn't drive anymore, when he travels he has no music. Now he can listen to his country music all the time. He's uber happy with it!

How about a family portrait in a fancy frame?

A digital photo display thingy? You load it with pictures of horses, family, grandkids and that sort of thing? (kinda like this: Matsunichi PF7E Digital Picture Frame: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag)

HTH'S

I think a subscription to a magazine is nice, cos that way it last a whole 12 months and each month they have something to look forward too....maybe there is a monthly mag on horses...? x

I like this idea!!!!

This is a good idea but she did it for me last yeat, so I can have Scratch every month and I wouldnt have a clue what to get, might do this for her birthday in May after some investigation.

I did a pamper day for her 50th a couple of years back, I do like this idea but I dont know who for her or me??:lol:

There's lots of good ideas here that I can use for her birthday in May.
Since I posted I've been into town and spent 2 hours looking for something for her and in the end I bought her a top in Monsoon. I know she likes the shop so if she doesnt like the top she can swap it for something she does like. Fingers crossed she likes it.
It cost a fortune but it is lovely, I'd wear it.

Here's a piccie of it except this is black and I've bought chocolate and at the top on the right it doesnt have jewels on the bit of fabric that goes down.
What do you think?
I didnt relise it would show her shoulders so she still might take it back.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o265/bubbabinks/Anon/12909503_m1.jpg

OOH...that is lovely!!!
I would love it in black!!
Nothing wrong with showing your shoulders lol!!!
(as long as you have a good strapless bra that is!!)

OOH...that is lovely!!!
I would love it in black!!
Nothing wrong with showing your shoulders lol!!!
(as long as you have a good strapless bra that is!!)

That's the problem she only has boulder holder bras!!:lol:
She can always slip them down a bit.

i love monsoon, i always promise myself that if i ever win a pile of dosh i'm going to buy all my clothes from there. there so feminine and detailed.

Does she like the theatre or cinema .... you can purchase gift tokens for these too.

i got my mum one of those lovely Lancome gift sets, they're fab and also you might get a free gift for yourself too:green:

Lovely top
i wouldnt mind that myself.
ive bought my mother in law a scarf a silky sort of one in blue and purples to go with some of her outfits and a bottle of liquer for her and father in law . Also a long beady necklace to go with her bluey purpley tops lol
hope she likes anyway. ive sort of got two mum in laws so other one ive got a dressign gown in really soft fluffy fabric, a cd and a warm fleecy top as she goes out walking a lot

but it is hard to know what to get

I've just bought a friend for Christmas, a pair of black velvet bra straps encrusted with diamante stones. Odd pressie, I know, but she wears a lot of sheer blouses at Christmas so I thought they would look nice underneath. Perhaps you could get your Mum something like that to wear with her top? It's lovely by the way, and I would definitely wear it - with or without the bra straps!

Latest posts

Back