Any insight to bad nail job-twice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLou

Reaction score
Hey all just jumped over from the hair side! Would like to pick your brains, I had some nails extensions done for my wedding on a Thursday evening, by midday the next day one had completely come off.....thought I must have caught it but don’t recall feeling it ping....by 5pm that same day 4 on one hand had come away (the tips) and 2 on the other hand had come away and on my thumb it had chipped on the corner.....so this was less than 24 hours and that day I was not doing any manual work or anything to cause damage to the nails, went back to the shop she kind of Hodges them back for the wedding the next day, thankfully the just made it through the day although the thumb nail had a chip on the corner again (so weird!) and it was as if the whole layer of gel/polish had come away.....by 11am the next day they were all off, one by one the came or or were peeling at the sides. I got a refund but not much of an apology or explanation.

Put it down to bad luck.

Had a second set of extensions done 2 weeks ago at a different place for honeymoon, within a week the extension comes off my index finger! Annoyed again just thought bad luck but by the end of that week again they started to get caught on the very ends were I assumed they were peeling up? They started to come away at the edges so again within 2 weeks they were all off!
This lady has apologized and is kindly offering to do me another set but I’d like to know the reason why this has happened? Have I just had really bad luck in picking not very good nail artists or would there be a reason for this? Is it my nails? On both occasions I didn’t do any hard manual labor the second lot I was on honeymoon so very little going on apart from swimming a little, I didn’t apply any creams before hand of after, I’m fact don’t use hand cream....anyone got any ideas?? I’m really intrigued to know what may have happened.Thanks [emoji1305]

How annoying, If I had to guess I’d just say two unfortunate jobs and you were just unlucky! The lasting time of the nails usually comes down to how they were prepped (if you’re not doing anything yourself to effect it which by the sounds of things, you weren’t) hopefully next time you’ll get a decent jobs worth! X

When you say coming away at the edges what exactly do you mean?

Yep pretty annoying and for two big life occasions makes t worse but never mind. I don’t know much about nails but I thought they generally lasted a month before having a infill not a week or under 24 hours lol

It’s really hard to explain, basically they only way I knew was because they were catching on clothing and towels to look at you wouldn’t really see it I’ll try attach a picture may help.

IMG_3142.JPG
IMG_3104.JPG

That’s probably not helpful at all as you can’t see the edges but they were catching so I know they had somehow lifted or peeled very discreetly......‍♀️

Is this just a gel polish over tips?

Yeah it’s a gelish white with magpie powder to get that ombré effect

Yeah it’s a gelish white with magpie powder to get that ombré effect

If its Gel Polish over tips like Ciderella asked then its no wonder they don't last - Gel Polish is not a strength product and will never be strong enough to maintain a tip. If you are expecting extensions you need either a builder gel or L&P product over the tips to build strength.

Tips with Gel Polish is sometimes sold as 'weekend nails' or 'party nails' and are specifically designed not to last very long, such as for a party or weekend - literally days at the most, certainly not weeks.

Really?? Surely they would have put this builder product on top? That’s crazy if they hadn’t!! I never knew this, but then why would I, I pay for a service and expect what is advertised.....they knew it was for a special occasion over two weeks surely they would have explained this to me.....if that is the case that’s really poor but I’d like to have some faith in them that they wouldn’t have relied just on the polish to hold it, surely they would have used a builder???? [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Really?? Surely they would have put this builder product on top? That’s crazy if they hadn’t!! I never knew this, but then why would I, I pay for a service and expect what is advertised.....they knew it was for a special occasion over two weeks surely they would have explained this to me.....if that is the case that’s really poor but I’d like to have some faith in them that they wouldn’t have relied just on the polish to hold it, surely they would have used a builder???? [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

From your photos, and descriptions, I suspect that's what's happened. There is no structure built in to those nails, no stress apex, etc. they are flat. The picture showing the peeling shows product only roughly the thickness of gel polish, no builder gel or acrylic underneath

I agree with above. These are just weekend nails (tips and gel polish). What did you tell the nail tech you wanted? It seems strange that two different techs would give you weekend nails if you had asked for acrylic or hard gel extentions xx

Yeah well this is what I thought for it to happen to me twice maybe it was something I’d done but there really isn’t anything, I mean it was for wedding and honeymoon so I wasn’t even doing any hard work or housework etc so really they should have lasted ages.

1st ones I asked for gel nail extensions French tips which lasted a day both the original and the second attempt.

2nd ones I asked for gel nail extensions and wanted an ombré colour so they painted on white gelish then used magpie powder on top to get the ombré look. I was watching them and both the nails techs put on this stuff in a pot I would assume was a builder or to lock it all down? I have no idea but they both used the same thing, is it possible my nails don’t like that product? Just seems so wired or extremely unlucky. If it that they gave me weekend nails it’s really naughty. They both knew it was special events.

Also since the second had kindly offered to re do for me, I asked if I could come down a certain day, she ignored 3 messages from me now I was extremely nice as I just wanted my nails the done or a refund but I got really annoyed as I was being ignored and felt like I’d just go away, well after being so paitient and extremely nice about it all I got fed up so I messaged her and said basically I’m being ignored now I’ve had a terrible service I think a refund would be justified after a bad service and bad nails if I don’t hear back I will put a bad review up which I really do not want to do.

I then got an response immediately telling me not to threaten her! Excuse me! She gave a rubbbish service etc and I was so calm about it all and over nice then when I want answers she says I’m threatening her!

As I said before I’m in the industry I’m a hairdresser there is no way I would ever give a terrible service and if I did I’d be correcting straight away and doing my up most to make sure that client was satisfied, it seems when ever I’m the customer I get a crap service and crap like this. SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!

Sorry I just had to vent this one out [emoji85]

Sounds like poor consultation skills.
You asked for gel nail extensions and the tech just assumed you knew they were short term nails.
Many hairdressers choose acrylic nails for the strength unless their natural nails are a reasonable length and strong.

Maybe the techs you used only know how to do basic gel polish?
A good nail tech will have completed a fair bit of training and will have excellent consultation skills. I’d be inclined to go somewhere else because even with a re-do, they probably won’t last.

Also, regarding a refund, they’ve technically given you what you asked for.
It just isn’t suitable for what you actually need. :(

But both knew I wanted them for my wedding day and they lasted just about the day then the very next morning they were all falling off by themselves, the second knew it was for a two week honeymoon so they both knew it was for something special and I needed it for more than a weekend, so I didn’t get what I asked at all then to be extremely polite and patient about the whole thing and to be ignored just is rubbish. I’ve had gel nail extensions before for special occasions and I always ask for the same thing and previously I’ve always had them last a month and by that point I’ve had enough off them and am getting them removed......I really think now it’s been bad luck and bad nail techs..... which is really sad I’ve lost all confidence in having them done professionally again I’ll just apply my own normal polish at home that lasts longer lol

Did they use a builder gel in a pot before they put the gel polish on? They really do just look like gel polish as no apex has been built, they look really thin xx

Did they use a builder gel in a pot before they put the gel polish on? They really do just look like gel polish as no apex has been built, they look really thin xx

Well I’ve no idea but they had two grey pots, both different, they used one after they put the tips on then something like a clear polish, then they used the grey pot again...is that any help? Can’t believe they’d do that knowing it was for special events and I needed them to last, so bad :(

Latest posts

Back