Any last minute advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
My new nail salon opens in just over a week (I say "my" salon, its a room within a hairdressers, but its mine to do what I like with, give it my own business name etc, so I'm calling it my salon!). I've very apprehensive about my new venture as this is the first time that I havent been someone's employee with a guaranteed income, but I'm also very excited about getting stuck in and making a success of things.

Anyway, I'm down to sorting out the last few details before we open, and I wondered if anyone has any last minute advice, anything that I might have overlooked that might not seem so obvious? What i've done so far includes but is not limited to:

I've got a full stock list and will be hitting the OSNS and wholesalers next week for nail products, retail products, salon hygiene products etc.

I've got my furniture, fixtures and fittings

vinyl window lettering for the salon window, and an A board for outside the salon are on rder (just as soon as I know what my phone number is going to be)

I've got my health and safety info in a file for reference and have contacted my local authority to make sure I'm complying with any H&S regs and that I have the appropriate licences.

The phone line is being switched on, and as soon as I have a phone number, my stationery will be printed. I have client records cards already.

My certificates are framed and ready to hang on the wall

I have all the appropriate insurance policies in place

I've done the ground work, and I cant thnk of anything I've missed out, but I want to make sure I've covered everything.

Any thoughts anyone?

notice to say NO CHILDREN ALLOWED!!!!...there has been some threads about this and i think its a fab idea.....if i think of anymore i will let you know xx

p.s.GOOD LUCK xx

Have you thought about inviting the local newspaper to the salon or advertising? They might be willing to do a feature on you.

Good luck!

Ok these are the things that I can think of but you have probably already thought of these too:

CD player
CDs
Drinks/client refreshments/kettle
Towels
Dressing gown
Appointment book/cards
pens/pencils

I am sure there will be loads of other things but I will add to this list when I think of them.

Good luck x x x

soap
tissues
ornaments
posters

display your insurance

hiya michelle,
ive just done the same thing as you,i started in november.
it seems you have everything covered,well done.
maybe a nice price list to hang up,and a quick few words about the treatment. also i put a small sign on every hairdresser station with a small price list of file & polish etc that they can have done while doing a colour,get these laminated cause some tint can get on them,then they look messy.
em........ an appointment book of course, a cash box, maybe a sign to say you dont take credit cards(if you dont)!! if i think of anything else i'll drop you a line.

good luck with everything.

Good luck with your new job!!

looks like some good advice already said.

Thanks everyone, there's a couple of bits there that I had overlooked. :green:

Hi, hope everything is going well with the new venture, I started mine in August and things are going well at the minute (better than my personal life anyway lol) I have my price list on the hairdressers desk, but i think the idea of laminating a little advert and placing on the workstations is a fantastic idea and will be doing this as soon as i go back to work in a couple of weeks. I am having a couple of weeks back at my parents home at the minute to have a break!
I was surprised when i started the beauty room up how many regular clients didnt notice that we now offered beauty services, even though there is a obvious notices displayed around the salon! lol

I've been told NOT to display my insurance certificate

Register your business with the tax man.

register for your business rates with local council and make sure you fill in the form for small business`s to get a big reduction.

if you are in a separate room to the hairdressers and playing music you will need a public entertainment license.

a contract between you and the owner of the salon.

nerves of steel and patience of a saint lol

Register your business with the tax man.

register for your business rates with local council and make sure you fill in the form for small business`s to get a big reduction.

if you are in a separate room to the hairdressers and playing music you will need a public entertainment license.

a contract between you and the owner of the salon.

nerves of steel and patience of a saint lol

:lol::lol::lol: Both are already being tested to the limit, and I'm not even open yet!!!!!!!!

You will be fine, your first day is the hardest,
after that its all old hat :hug:

As someone said, invite the local rag (they'll only really be interested if you're spending money having a special 'advertising feature' (used to work for papers!) This means that they will want you to place an advert & then they will want a list of all the people that you have spent money with - such as furniture retailer, equipment retailer, stock suppliers & wholesalers, printers, linen suppliers etc etc
They will then ring all these people and 'talk' them in to a support advert which will say something like 'XYZ Wholesalers wish you all sucess in your new venture etc etc.
Once the newspaper has got enough advertising (they need approx 70% of the cost of a full page advert) they will then get an editorial bod to contact you and you can give them all the info & reasons why you are the best etc. Remember, when the editorial person contacts you, it's YOUR feature so ensure they put in what you want - ask for an editorial proof so you can read it through & amend before it goes to press. Historically the advertisement department & the editorial department of local newspapers hate each other, so don't expect them to 'work together to much!' Hence the need for the proofs. Then, ask the advertisiment rep for a complete proof of the whole feature for you to check before press:) He'll love you for that(not) but it's essential.

If you play music you will need to contact - 'The Performing Rights Society' and obtain a 'PRS' License to play music. (This is not needed if you work from home btw) - I used to work for a local radio station too, so I know this is fact.

The other thing to remember is.............OMG Your going it alone - Well done you for biting the bullet and making it happen - go for it.
Be nice, polite, professional, not a pushover, flexible.

GOOD LUCK HUN xxx

Some fab advice, I don't have anything to add except

GOOD LUCK!

:hug::hug:​

I've been told NOT to display my insurance certificate

I was told that if you did display your insurance certificate you are 75% more likely to be sued for whatever reason as we are now in a world where people like to sue others simply for financial gain.. makes you wonder what this world is coming to doesnt it.

I was told that if you did display your insurance certificate you are 75% more likely to be sued for whatever reason as we are now in a world where people like to sue others simply for financial gain.. makes you wonder what this world is coming to doesnt it.

hhmmm thats really interesting, and good advice, thanks for that. I think you might be right, openly displaying that you are in a good position to be sued could brew up some imaginative claims. I dont think I will publically display mine, but will be happy to show it to individual clients upon request.

I have displayed my insurance for the last 2 yrs, with out any problems ( I'm now looking for a bit of wood to touch!)

Latest posts

Back