Any laws regarding dogs in Salons?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fake it...

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any laws against having your pet dog in your salon?
I'm really shocked at how many salon owners have a salon pet, usually a dog. Surely this is super unhygienic? When a salon professional goes to the extent of sanitising (as they should) their tools and work space surely it defeats the object slightly if a dog is then allowed in?
Before I'm shot down I am a massive animal lover, I have 2 cats, 2 goats and 12 ex battery hens. All of my animals are rescues and live the life of Riley but I'm not sure that a salon is the right place for an animal that licks it's bum, wether that be cat, dog etc.
xx

Now this i a subject i got quite anoyed about in another thread.

Im going to try to be as little rude as possible!

BUT what business is it of yours or anyone else who has what in their salon...

Why would the dog be touching sanatized tools.

Could a dog not be sitting nicely in its bed in the corner. I think children are much more dirty.

If your dog does not moult e.g a poodle how will any hairs get anywere.

And how is the dog licking its bum going to make anything dirty unless they are going around licking everything else. And a dogs saliver is anti-septic anyways.

i have a lab and it doesnt lick everything it sees.

If a client dosent like it they dont go to that salon again but when you own a salon surly that is your right to do what you like.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I'm not sure about salon owners and their dogs, but on the flip side, if you don't like the idea of dogs being in a salon and refused entry to an assistance dog, you would probably end up in hot water.

I have a greyhound that my mum takes to work every day. Now, it is slightly different as she is a financial adviser... but she lays quietly in her bed all day except to have a sniff at clients that come in. Everyone loves her.

If there was a dog in a salon I went to, I don't think it would particularly bother me - surely everything is clean and the salon owner knows the temperament of the dog, or it wouldn't be there?

If, however, the dog approached me and dribbled etc and there were hairs everywhere, or if it caused a disturbance, I might pass comment - in that case, the owner should know better and leave the dog at home.

xx

I have taken my dog into the salon since she was a puppy and most of the clients love her, she doesnt bother people who dont want to be bothered and ill put her in another room if they want or i can see that they arnt to happy.
Is it he right thing to do having a dog in the salon, i think it depends a lot on the salon. My shop is small only me upstairs and a beauty room downstairs, which the dog doesnt go in.Its in a small town/village where i know evereyone and everyone knows me and the dog. Im glad i can bring the dog to work as id hate to leave her at home alone.
But i dont think having a dog in a busy town salon would be appropriate or professional.
I dont think ive lost many customers for having the dog in the salon though and lots of customers come and walk her and bring her treats.
Maybe its not professional but aslong as she doesnt effect buisness im happy to take her.
The salon i did my training at 20 odd yrs ago also brought his dogs in and this was a busy city salon.

Where I did my initial training the lady who owned the business would walk around us trainees with a Yorkshire Terrier under her armpit. I used to think ??? WTF... I guess as the owner she could do as she pleased. I wasnt going to be the one to complain as I wanted to finish the course with a Certificate in hand :0

We're I rent my room, she brings her puppy with her so he's not at home all day everyday on his own, everyone loves him. He does stay at home on Saturday but that's because were very busy and her husbands home.
He either sleeps in the window, in his bed or on people that pick him up, that's all he does with himself all day.
I don't see any problem with him all though I do shut him out my room when people are in, he rarely goes upstairs tho tbh
He doesn't malt either he's a cocker spaniel also he doesn't leave anything dirty or messy

I don't know the answer to you question regarding the laws but surely it is the salon owners decision and is up to the client how they feel about it. If the salon can't get clients because a dog was there they would probably put an end to it pretty quickly but if its a thriving, busy salon and clients don't mind well I guess its not a problem.

There is a ladies clothes shop where I live that has a 'resident' dog it lies in the shop window all day, no idea of the breed and but its a little one and always has a bow on its head ! Its a really expensive shop to, Im sure id be worried about dog hair if I owned it.

Don't know about laws and stuff but as long as it's a well behaved dog and not wrecking the place why the hell not?

I work from home and my doggy often sits in with us (she knows who likes her lol)

As a customer, there are 2 or 3 shops in my town where there is a resident dog and I always look forward to visiting them :Love::Love:

A salon is private property and doesn't prepare or serve food, so it's up to the owner.

My dog often comes in to meet me from work, and is extremely popular with clients. We are also happy for clients to bring their fur babies with them.

Hmmm I am sitting on the fence ! My child is frightened of dogs, unless she knows them really well. I am a big animal lover but some clients don't like cats or dog they may go elsewhere but if you really want your pet at work and it's your shop go ahead but you will loose some clients :)

The reason I ask is because I was renting a nail room in a beauty salon, the salon owners mum was receptionist, the salon was carpeted throughout. One day the receptionist brought her gorgeous little doggy in with her and for whatever reason the dog weed on the carpet. The dog then ran back through the wet patch before the receptionist had got to it to clean it up and then jumped up at my client and put it's paws on her knee.
The second reason is that a salon that I use for facials ( A Guinot Crown Salon and Backscratchers Salon of Excellence) always has a miniature Yorkie on the beauty bed in between treatments, I know this because the dog is then lifted off the bed when I step into the room before my treatment. The last time I was there I noticed that the salon owner, after lifting the dog down then carried out my facial without washing her hands. It didn't dawn on me until my masque was on.
Now, I don't question the cleanliness of this salon or the owner but mistakes do happen. I just feel that's quite an important mistake to make.
So whilst it's none of my business what salon owners do within their own salons I do feel that it's my business when I encounter such problems as above.
So going back to my first question, are there any laws/rules surrounding pets in salons. Purely out of curiosity and not to go reading riot acts to people who choose to do so or getting them into trouble with anyone. As mentioned it's none of my business but I think if we have a question that we feel someone on here may be able to answer then why not ask?
Interested in everyone's response and points of view.
Thanks for the replies so far and apologies to those I've offended.
xx

Ps, I now work from home so my cats are around although they have never been in my nail room. I also would never refuse a guide dog etc. I probably wouldn't even refuse a client with a puppy who couldn't be left alone. As I said, I'm an animal lover but always good to have questions answered where possible x

i doubt there is a law, i had a meeting with the council to gain a licence and the man from the council loved him, he wouldnt leave him alone, so i asmume there is no law against it otherwise i wouldnt have been able to get the licence

Those examples you used are unprofessional, irresponsible and unhygienic.

Nicole, I agree. In fairness in the first example the salon owner and receptionist were both absolutely mortified, the client was fine and received some complimentary treatments from the owner by way if apology plus she picked up the dry cleaning bill. The client said that it really wasn't necessary as things happen that are beyond our control. The dog was never brought to the salon again but raised the above question... By the salon owner and not by me. I suppose it made her wonder what would happen should the client have not been so understanding. This then makes you think deeper on a subject.
The second example got me thinking that whilst her practice at that point was unhygienic is there a law against it or is it just common sense? Something that you and I and I'm sure most professionals understand... But for the small amount who common sense evades, it worries me a little.
Great replies btw x

Chazz... I also think that some children are way dirtier x

Why would the dog be touching sanatized tools.

Could a dog not be sitting nicely in its bed in the corner. I think children are much more dirty.

My dog comes into my salon regularly and has never once picked up my tweezers or nail clippers so I would say that they are nicely sanitised.

I have had the odd client bring their 'furr baby' with them and they have been as good as gold. They just like to be close to their mom.

I have had some clients bring in filthy horrible children covered in sweets/crisps/chocolate, screaming, running around and trying to grab all my stuff. I banned them.

X

Sharkster. Love it. Off with their heads! Lol. x

Yes I took my dog to my shop, he was young and wild but at least he was is a cute Lhasa. If you don't like it don't go to salons with dogs. I still have my dog but as I now mainly do permanent make up, I am obliged to have the dog out of premises during treatments, council conditions. It is fine doing waxing and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back