Any nail geeks use ABT insurers?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
I have been reccomended Association of Beauty therapists insurance and have been browsing their website. Obviously I will have to look more closely into my decision making on insurance, but are there any nail geeks that use them? Have you any words of caution or delight about them?

I'm going to be offering natural nail manicures, Shellac, Gelish, nail wraps, nail art, that kind of thing. Nothing artificial.

I won't lie to you, I'm not looking forward to weaving my way through this part of things. Any info is good info!
One of my main questions when I call them is going to be if I have to tell them every bit of training I do when I move through my services that I've listed above. Or whether I tell them in advance and they accept that those services are all under the umbrella of 'manicure' or pedicure.

I have been reccomended Association of Beauty therapists insurance and have been browsing their website. Obviously I will have to look more closely into my decision making on insurance, but are there any nail geeks that use them? Have you any words of caution or delight about them?

I'm going to be offering natural nail manicures, Shellac, Gelish, nail wraps, nail art, that kind of thing. Nothing artificial.

I won't lie to you, I'm not looking forward to weaving my way through this part of things. Any info is good info!
One of my main questions when I call them is going to be if I have to tell them every bit of training I do when I move through my services that I've listed above. Or whether I tell them in advance and they accept that those services are all under the umbrella of 'manicure' or pedicure.

I use ABT and I've never had a problem, but then again, I've never made a claim! Customer service is good. Send in your certificates and they will cover you for what you send in. I upgraded to full membership and it was really easy and straightforward, it was just an extra £15. Hths x

Hi,

I've just insured myself thru them and am also concentrating on the natural nail aspect of things. I had to provide copies of all my certificates I have and will therefore only be insured for these aspects ie. if I didnt have a pedicure certificate and a claim was made whilst performing a pedicure, I would not be insured.

Thats about the easiest way I can explain?? Hope this helps :biggrin:

Im with them and using the Nails, Make-up and tanning one (I think thats what it says).

If you look in the small print that covers you on Manicures, Pedicures, Enhancements and Nail Art.

Same here I've just renewed with them. I'm pleased with them, but again......touch wood I've never used them.

I didn't expect such a good response! Thank you :biggrin:

I take it that when they refer to enhancements, this is the bit that Shellac, Gelish and whatever nail wraps I go for, will come under?

All that is covered. I offer Gellux, although looking at moving to another system soon.

I didn't expect such a good response! Thank you :biggrin:

I take it that when they refer to enhancements, this is the bit that Shellac, Gelish and whatever nail wraps I go for, will come under?

Shellac, gelish and nail wraps are all natural nail treatments and wouldn't come under enhancements. They still cover you for these treatments but enhancements refer to hard gels, l&p, silk, fibreglass, etc. :)

Im with them, you need to send each and every certificate, Gelish is not covered under the manicure certificate.

I rang them to renew my policy and told them I was now doing Gelish and they wanted to see a seperate cerficiate to show I had done the Gelish course x

I use them and recommend them - they are very competatively priced

Im with them, you need to send each and every certificate, Gelish is not covered under the manicure certificate.

I rang them to renew my policy and told them I was now doing Gelish and they wanted to see a seperate cerficiate to show I had done the Gelish course x

So those threads you see quite often on here saying that it's beneficial, but not necessary to do these conversions are actually misleading in this case!

It seems you absolutely have to do the conversions to be insured in them. Glad I found out, thank you!!

So those threads you see quite often on here saying that it's beneficial, but not necessary to do these conversions are actually misleading in this case!

It seems you absolutely have to do the conversions to be insured in them. Glad I found out, thank you!!

I have been doing Gelish since May without doing the course, I feel the results from my Gelish didnt warrant doing the course so wasnt going to bother.

My insurance was due for renewal and they asked if anything had changed, I said I was now doing Gelish and they said that was fine but to send them my certificate.

Im now booked on the course as I want to be insured.

Katy x

The only negative thing I have found, is that when you take cover out for nails etc you get the Scratch magazine subscription included. But if you upgrade to full membership you lose that and you get The Guild magazine instead.

I would like to have the choice. I dont think The Guild mag is sent monthly and is also not very beneficial to me. I mainly do nails, just a bit of beauty (eyebrow waxing, eyebrow and lash tinting and eyelash extensions).

I would prefer to have the choice of the two mags so that I can still receive Scratch. I was already subscribed to Scratch but my subscription runs out next month, so I will now have to pay again for the next years subscription.

I originally went with ABT because of the Scratch benefit. But when I trained for eye treatments I had to upgrade. I would prefer the choice between the two magazines. How do the rest of you feel about this? :rolleyes:

Oh dear, just realised another thing. I also now do Gelish. That means another conversion course. A further £90.

I do want to be covered but will now have to set aside more money for this.

Oh well, there is nothing I can do about it.

Oh dear, just realised another thing. I also now do Gelish. That means another conversion course. A further £90.

I do want to be covered but will now have to set aside more money for this.

Oh well, there is nothing I can do about it.

When I spoke to them, I didnt think they would ask for a certificate, I thought they would just say it was fine and I would be covered.

Hey ho, Ive paid my £90 plus VAT for the course and Im sure I will learn some great tips from it x

Last edited:
I did the Gellux course and had to fax my certificate to get covered on my insurance.

I wonder what would have happened insurance cover wise if a claim had to go through on something like Gelish, if they were yet to be told it was a system offered? Knowing what insurance companies are like it has now put me off offering this service until I've done the course!

I have practiced Gelish on myself over the last month or so and thanks to thorough research and this site, I have not encountered any of the problems that I have read about. My confidence was building in being able to offer it, but if insurance is going to be compromised, then a course will be booked!
I'll be doing Shellac attack too anyway, but even quicker now! I'm so glad I started this thread!

mmmm i think I'll be contacting abt on Monday with regards to minx. I was under the impression that the likes of shellac and minx came under the remit of a manicure or pedicure. Seems a little conflicting as the training for both is not mandatory. I've already sent them my shellac cert and due to book on minx very soon. Maybe sooner than i thought which is no bad thing. That said i will be contacting abt for the interim. X x x

It's better to be safe than sorry. Will you let me know what they say? :biggrin:

absolutely honey and of course i will big x

Latest posts

Back