Any scientific evidence or otherwise that...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terese

Reaction score
using nail enamels/polishes and nail systems harm any part of the body. Im thinking brain or respitory?

Strange question you may think - however is it?

Anyone thought about their long term future? Can you get personality issues from inhaling fumes over a period of years?

What are your worse fears?

Besides ppe what else do you do - lets geek and find out

For me I stoped using l&p as I got headaches, but a friend has overcome this and works with no apparent problems with L&P

I got a really bas dematits reaction to a Gel I was using a few years back. I was gutted because I really loved the product, but I had to stop using it unfortunaltely and now I dont really do Gel nails in the salon. I did try with another brand but my hands started to feel ichy and it just put me off as I was scared the same thing would happen again. Used to happen with an acrylic system I was using until I changed brands. I have no problem with the one I'm using now though. As for respiratory problems, then yes I do think about what the long term effects of breathing chemicals in can have on your health. Even so you could say the same thing about hairspray, car fumes, city pollution etc. Where would you stop? :)

My worse fear is that I'm gonna get over exposed to gels... I constantly get gel on my fingers and dust on my arms. I try to wipe it off and I make sure to wash my hands and arms with warm water and soap after each client, but I still feel like I'm exposed to it a lot. I also tend to do my own nails a lot and I feel like it's probably not good for me...

I would die if I couldn't touch this stuff again :(

I've been in this biz for 15+years and I'm still kickin'. I did develop contact dermatitis(sp?) once only because I was wiping my brush on a tissue then resting my wrist where I was wiping. I corrected it and the problem went away. Just take the normal precautions like proper dust and vapour extraction, proper technique and don't overexpose yourself and enjoy this awesome career.

I've been in this biz for 15+years and I'm still kickin'. I did develop contact dermatitis(sp?) once only because I was wiping my brush on a tissue then resting my wrist where I was wiping. I corrected it and the problem went away. Just take the normal precautions like proper dust and vapour extraction, proper technique and don't overexpose yourself and enjoy this awesome career.

Snap .. I've been in the business for more than 25 years and never had a headache from my L&P or anything else.

I did have Extraction ventilation in my salon at all nail stations and I have always worked super safe. I now use 3 free Polishes and a Hypoalergenic 3 free gel (CND Brisa gels). It is not something I ever worry about at all.

Nail products have been around and used safely for more than 30 years. They have a long history and are safe to use.

The biggest issue is nail technicians who do not do as the manufacturers suggest (use extraction ventilation) or work cleanly with their products. If they are educated with good COSHH guidelines then there is absolutely no need to be concerned about working with any nail products.

Knowledge and good education are, as always, the KEY.

I think the main worry for me is all the dust i breathe in, no matter how good the extractor fans are we still end up breathing in dust. Just hope in if i'm still around in 30 years time no lasting damage will be done!

Well you know that the research about gel systems and ventilation equipment is the best way to educate yourself on how to be safe at your work. Knowledge is everything:green:

Latest posts

Back