any tips on creating the perfect oval..almond shape ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
Omg ,last night it took me forever to shape the tips , prep and my application times have sped up lots ..its shaping the tips thats taking forever,

this lady has them long and oval..but for some reason last night , they ended up rather pointed ?? think I over filed ..

I have tried filing my "wrong" side first..i have tried doing the same movements on both sides , so im not swiping on one side and see sawing on the other,..

Im just lost now...
can you please tell me how you acheive this shape ?
thankyou xx

do you cut the corners off the tips(although you probably do it already) this was the only thing that ever worked for me

I hold my file under the nail at a certain angle and it does it for me, just need to refine slightly once the desired shape is there.

I cant remember the exact degree but I think I saw somewhere that flat against the nail for square (90 degree), slightly angled under the nail for squoval and more under the nail for oval.

Rachel xxxxx

do you cut the corners off the tips(although you probably do it already) this was the only thing that ever worked for me
ooh yes i do i forgot to mention that , i trim both sides with curved scissors,
with this lady some of her natural nails, sort of lean to one side, so I always end up trying to compensate..and just get in a right muddle .

I hold my file under the nail at a certain angle and it does it for me, just need to refine slightly once the desired shape is there.

I cant remember the exact degree but I think I saw somewhere that flat against the nail for square (90 degree), slightly angled under the nail for squoval and more under the nail for oval.

Rachel xxxxx
yup do this to at the end but they still don't look even ...its driving me nut's

thankyou girls xxx

Rachel xxxxx

I file from underneath too, that way your filing both corners at the same time, so as long as you file straight (not wonky) you get a nice even shape.

Here is a simple way.

Start out by trimming to the finished length you want absolutely straight across - so the shape is square.

Use the old-fashioned-type of clippers (the toenail ones that you use between the thumb and index finger .. I only ever use these anyway) and trim off the square corners so that they make a 90º angle at very centre of the tip.

Then use your abrasive to soften the point at the tip and the points left at the side walls and voilà you have a perfect oval nail-

Here is a simple way.

Start out by trimming to the finished length you want absolutely straight across - so the shape is square.

Use the old-fashioned-type of clippers (the toenail ones that you use between the thumb and index finger .. I only ever use these anyway) and trim off the square corners so that they make a 90º angle at very centre of the tip.

Then use your abrasive to soften the point at the tip and the points left at the side walls and voilà you have a perfect oval nail-

i use toenail clippers too, curved scissors seems to give you a "false" shape...ifywim

Here is a simple way.

this is just what i do...i saw Ketan Patel do this at a show and copied him. (i bet i know who showed him...:wink2: xx

this is just what i do...i saw Ketan Patel do this at a show and copied him. (i bet i know who showed him...:wink2: xx

:lol: Yup!! :lol:

It is the basis for making all shapes. All you do is vary the angle from the centre of the tip for more pointy or less pointy ... very simple and the finished nails all look alike.

brilliant ! thankyou :hug:
I have seen the clippers you mean, and can see how they will be much better ..I will =get some asap, and give it a go,
thankyou very much xxxxx

Here is a simple way.

Pure genius!

Rachel xxxxx

I do this to and I would say that the nail file is held at a reverse 45 degree if you know what I mean.

It works every time shapes both side at the same time

what clippers are these please got a pic anyone xx

Latest posts

Back