Any tips on how to apply acrylic smoothly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
No matter how hard i try i just cant get it as smooth as i like :cry: (im a bit of a perfectionist and always looking for mistakes in my work) :rolleyes: any one got any fail safe tips to make sure the acrylic is perfectly applied? i trained with EZ FLow :green: xx

the best tip i received and can give is, on the top of the "finished" nail, before you file, put on a single coat of acrylic. Cover the nail with a smallish bead of acrylic, wet, like you'd use in the cuticle area. The should act like "spackel" and give you a smooth finish where all you'll need is a good buffing.
I hope that makes sense!
I use CND, so I hope it works with yours!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

My nails are far from perfect but I have found that using slightly bigger beads and 'doing less' with the bead is helping me alot. I think I was moving the acrylic around too much and faffing with it a bit, which definitely can make it more lumpy. Also I find that using a big bead instead of two small ones works better for my lumps. I know that my educator would say use smaller beads but I found over time that I prefer bigger beads and using less of them and messing around with them less has helped. I now use 2 or 3 beads tops.

I also think High Def from EZflow is much more forgiving that Creative Ret +. It has a longer set time so there is defo less pressure, which is why I am more inclined to leave it alone because I know that if it doesnt settle into place as I want it to, I still have time to nudge it around slightly before it sets.

The other thing which has hugely helped my lumps is finding a brush that really works for me. I started with the pro styler but I never liked it and luckily managed to find one which is perfect for me its the paddle brush from Designer Nails - a bit pointy and is just fab, that reduced my lumps by half almost straight away - and its really cheap too!!

As I say my nails certainly aint perfect but I hope this helps anyway.xx

Hey there!! You might be working with your product too dry.. But I want you to see this video one of the geeks posted awhile back and I can't remember her name, I'm sorry! But she makes it look so easy, she good, damn good!! But I hope you find it useful..

YouTube - Acrylic Nails

I think my exact words would have been "use small, controlled, beads, zone by zone" Jackie :lol:

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say do less, and stop faffing!!
Most surface imperfections are caused by overworking with your brush.
Once you have a bit more confidence in yourself, and your products this should naturally stop.
Brush angles definitely play a part too, no matter what brush you use if you are not holding it at the right angle you won't get that smooth finish.
HTH

Sorry for hijacking but could you give a bit more information on the correct brush angles please! :)I definately agree with what has been said though that the less you mess with the arcylic the smoother the finish.

Sorry for hijacking but could you give a bit more information on the correct brush angles please! :)I definately agree with what has been said though that the less you mess with the arcylic the smoother the finish.

Okay watch that video I just posted..... Notice these......

She holds her brush flat, not like (this \ ) not like (this / ) but like (this --- )
If you hold it like (this \ ), you will form an ugly apex in zone one!
If you hold it like (this / ), you will have a really thick zone three and product all over the cuticle!

She moves the product by patting it, not pushing it, and then glides her brush back to smooth it out.

Notice how her arm is completely rested and that she is pulling her fingers back and forth to smooth it out..

There is a method to the madness, and she has a perfect technique in my opinion, the same technique I use. Whoo Whoo!:wink2:

It's as simple as that, you don't have to sit their and wrench on the product to get it to do what you want..

aww thanks guys :green: xx

I notice her brush is quite flat. So i looked elsewhere on You Tube and watched a video by Nailzoo, showing how to prepare your brush, really flattening it over a number of days in preparation. Is this what all the top techs do? Think i might try it with my next brush.

I notice her brush is quite flat. So i looked elsewhere on You Tube and watched a video by Nailzoo, showing how to prepare your brush, really flattening it over a number of days in preparation. Is this what all the top techs do? Think i might try it with my next brush.

Sometimes you can buy flat brushes, I'm not sure if he does that because they don't make flat brushes that big or what.. But I learned from him and I do the same thing now too, but just with a smaller brush.. I do prefer it.. Now as far as that size I have tried close to, but not quite and it is hard to get use to especially with whites.. But using it for the pinks is wonderful!! You'll notice nailzoo's technique is totally unique too.. I love it!! I have never seen anyone else do it that way..

aaaaaw shucks, you can flatten any sizes brush ... i just like my broom:)

I use an oval brush as the crimp in the ferral helps it maintain it's shape, there's better vids showing different ways to use the brush on my website
Nail Zoo Video Page

Magic Broom, huh!!

Mix ratio
Brush control
lots of practice.
When I got my ratio correct the smoothness was so much better. When it is too wet or too dry then the little bumps and dips can occur:)
xx

Don't forget also that different brands have different application methods. You're using EZFlow, I assume A Polymer and Q Monomer, which you don't press into the nail the same as you do with say CND products.

Overworking and faffing as already said will put bubbles in your nails and mess up your application in general!

Can you get a 1 2 1 with your trainer to help you out with this?

Latest posts

Back