Any trans-friendly hair geeks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth Mills

Reaction score
Am way overdue for getting my hair done, and was wondering if there were any trans-friendly hair geeks on here (preferably not too far from Shropshire) who would be interested in helping me find a new style, including colour/highlights.

At the moment, my hair is reaching most of the way down my back, which is a tad too long as it gets quite tangly and unmanageable if I'm not careful...

Ruth :)

hi im trans friendly but i am from manchester where do u usually go when your hair needs doing:Grope:it shud,nt matter about gender you are a customer

Last edited:
im not a hair geek, but ruth - i think youll find most geeks, whether it hair, nails or skin geeks would be trans friendly - after all you are still a paying client and shouldnt be discriminated against just because you are a trans geek flower pot.

just because you are a trans geek flower pot.

PMSL.........I love Glynis.............she speaks a whole new language of her own. :hug:

hi im trans friendly but i am from manchester where do u usually go when your hair needs doing:Grope:

Went to Toni & Guy last time, which was OK, but I felt a bit embarrassed at the time lol, that was just before Sonia and I did the shoot for Reveal last year.

But it would be great to be able to have more time to talk about possible styles and colours and whatnot, and for someone to suggest what they think would look good for me.

PMSL.........I love Glynis.............she speaks a whole new language of her own. :hug:

LOL "trans geek flower pot" - sums me up pretty well eep...

what is a trans geek? is this a new geek term i am unfamiliar with? fill me in chaps im in the dark xx

owww laura puts her big fat foot in it again... so sorry ruth i just read ur profile... ima trans-friendly geek!! wouldnt of guessed from ur profile piccie u wer a transvestite, wit wooo xxx

phew glad its not just me wondering what the heck a trans-friendly salon is lol

good luck with the new style! :)

Hi ruth,

Sorry i am not in your area i would have loved to have had a one on one with you and discussed styles and colours.....( ooop's thats what i do with all my clients), that was not ment to be rude was just ment to make the point that anyclient should be able to make an appointment for a free consultation ( maybe on a quiet day), and discuss colour and style..... as we all know our hair is one of our main focal points and to get it wrong JUST WONT DO....... so why not pick up the yellow pages and call a few of your local salons and see what thier policy is on consultations hun.... good luck sorry i can't help any more than that...H x:Love:

owww laura puts her big fat foot in it again... so sorry ruth i just read ur profile... ima trans-friendly geek!! wouldnt of guessed from ur profile piccie u wer a transvestite, wit wooo xxx

Why thank you :)

Guess that's what a professional makeover does for you; that pic was taken the afternoon that my wife and I had a photo shoot for Reveal magazine (we were in an article in there last June about our marriage and how we met and the whole marrying a tranny thing lol) - the bandana helps as well as alas I am losing my hair a bit aagh!

Good to know you are trans-friendly too :)

Ruth

Hi ruth,

Sorry i am not in your area i would have loved to have had a one on one with you and discussed styles and colours.....( ooop's thats what i do with all my clients), that was not ment to be rude was just ment to make the point that anyclient should be able to make an appointment for a free consultation ( maybe on a quiet day), and discuss colour and style..... as we all know our hair is one of our main focal points and to get it wrong JUST WONT DO....... so why not pick up the yellow pages and call a few of your local salons and see what thier policy is on consultations hun.... good luck sorry i can't help any more than that...H x:Love:

Thank you, that would have been fab if we were a bit closer! Think I may be OK for my next cut/colour; someone on our local Freecycle group is doing a hairdressing course at the local college and put a message on asking for models for an assignment she has in a week or so; so she's going to cut my hair then; she also does mobile hairdressing and am going to try and arrange a colour sometime soon as well - will be nice to go a bit more blonde again :)

Maybe if Sonia and I are ever in your area I may just take you up on your offer though one day?

Ruth :)

your friend beat me too it ruth, i was just going to say how about ringing your local college up and booking in with them, but you have that covered now...plus your doing your friend a big service its so hard to find models for college assignments etc...

your friend beat me too it ruth, i was just going to say how about ringing your local college up and booking in with them, but you have that covered now...plus your doing your friend a big service its so hard to find models for college assignments etc...

Well I'm always happy to consider modelling for college assignments for anyone who is within reasonable distance - not just getting my hair done, but for beauty treatments, make-up, even body painting! I even helped someone out who was taking part at a competition at Olympia back in 2002 (at the Professional Beauty show there); that was when I used to live down south, she was doing the head and neck make-up competition and turned me in to Baloo the Bear!

Seems to work out well both ways - I get a treatment done or some good photos for my model portfolio and help someone out at the same time!

Hi again Ruth

I hope you have as good experience of service from a salon as I did with my one in Woodley, Reading.

I quite agree with the person who stated that your money is as good as anyone's, and I'm sure any professional salon would view things that way.

What I did was to first approach my chosen salonby sending the owner a polite, equiring email explaining about my being a transgendered person and what I was hoping to experience from a salon. I explained that I'd be wanting to be treated just like their other female clients (and that included paying much more than the guys too! lol) and was looking for help and advice with styling etc.

The message of response I received was very warm and welcoming, which continued during my first consultation appointment (a hair treatment, cut, styling and hi-/lo-lites), and I've been back three times since. Only last week my regular girl gave me a lovely new style (having cut about 6" off the length) and I am really delighted with it.

I should perhaps add that when I have been for my appointments, I have been very dressed down and quite androgynous in appearance, I am not really seeking to stand out! (being 6'1" I do that already!), but they're quite a plucky bunch at the salon so I have no doubt they wouldn't mind if I turned up somewhat more glammed up.

I personally find my visits to my salon a near theraputic rest time in an ambient and hospitable atmosphere... In and out for a cut in 15 minutes and for £20??? Guys just don't know what they're missing out on! ;-)

I think the registration for college modelling could also be a good suggestion.

All the very best :)

Jaye
xxx

Latest posts

Back