Anybody else doubt themselves? Aftermath of first day of treatments.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebeauty14

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I was just wondering if anybody else ever did and whether the feeling fades?

I had my first 4 clients today, all booked in today. They were all lovely but afterwards seemed really happy, but I can't stop worrying about whether what I did was good enough, whether I behaved appropriately and came across well, whether they were genuine in saying they were happy, etc. I keep thinking back and worrying that a client may have looked unhappy, but I can't tell as I don't know them well enough to tell!

Anyway, it's driving me nuts! I can't sleep thinking about it, and I have a really tight ball in my stomach of tension.

I understand that at the end of the day, if they aren't happy, then they will tell there friends and that is business and you go into that with your eyes open and have to keep a thick skin.

But I put sooo much effort into it all. I spent half an hour just doing my Shellac girls cuticles and even longer perfecting my polish application. And I also made cups of tea, lit Yankee candles, put mints out, bought fresh magazines, had radio in background, made conversation and laughed at their jokes, etc. Tried to come across as warm and friendly as possible when you are cacking it.

I just hope I did everything right.

How long will this self doubt go on for and is it normal?

Thanks.

P.s. Sorry about cacking it expression.

Its normal hun, just dont let your client see!!

I took 3 hours on my first ever appointment! Albeit there was no table and I had to do it on a sofa, but I was nervous as hell. I still get like it now if i have a few days off. Its like i think im going wake up one morning and forget!!

Take deep breaths and... Fake it.

From what you have described you have given the client a fab experience and I'm sure they will have loved it :D

I know how u feel had my first spray tan clients last week thought I was going to pass out with anxiety and stress lol!

I think it's natural to doubt ourselves purely because we want to deliver such a good job, I have yet to have my first nail client:Scared::Scared: I advertise this week. Good luck with you business xxx

It sounds like you were the perfect therapist and your clients had a lovely experience ;)

It's natural to doubt yourself and sometimes over analyse things, it's how we learn and improve. Even if there were a few little errors here and there I doubt a client would notice them, and if they did they were probably more won over by your charm and effort - I know I value a friendly helpful therapist who makes the effort to make me feel special and give me my monies worth as in the little touches you have described, as much as the quality of the treatment.

You will gain confidence the more clients you get under your belt so to speak. Well done on getting in 4 clients in from the off on the first day! ;)
Xx

Thankyou!
The thing that made me more nervous was the lady I was doing a French Shellac Pedicure on was a beauty student at our local college and when I was doing the smile lines they both stopped talking and STARED at me doing them! Luckily, even in my over analysing brain, I think I pulled it off. It's her friend I worried about more as she wanted the same nails as me so I felt I had to do them mega perfect, but she had very short nails with deep side walls, so I took AGES doing them! I could see teenie imperfections as I was so nervous my hand was shaking ridiculously!

And my two eyebrow clients had pretty full eyebrows and both said they were way too bushy and wanted them far less so. So I created an arch but didn't go as small as mine as I didn't want to go too much as you can always take more off but not stick it back on.

They both seemed happy when they left, one even commented on FB, but then I realised I'd over charged them!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I text then straight away apologising saying I'd drop it around immediately but they said not to worry, keep it, and they'll see me next time.

It was only 40p and 90p but I was MORTIFIED! I hope they mean it and aren't just saying it!

Oh bloody..... :-(

Oh gosh it all brings back memories. You're being too hard on yourself! I bet it all went perfectly. You need to fake being confident and slowly after a while, you won't be faking it anymore. Good on you for getting 4 clients on your first day! I only had one client in my first week.

I still get nervous when I have a new client but have learnt how to ensure they're happy with the treatment by asking questions during the treatment like "is this ok or would you like a bit more taking off?" etc etc. After a while you get to know what your clients individual preferences are and you won't need to ask them anymore.

Latest posts

Back