Anybody recommend an airbrush kit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shazzar

Reaction score
Hi

I'm only just starting out and want to start dabbling with air brushing. Anybody any suggestions on what names have a good reputation? Also, if you have any recommendations on good kits that are available?

Any information will be good.

Ta xx

OK first of all it is very difficult to "dabble" in airbrushing - it will cost you several hundred pounds to find out if it is something you enjoy or have a market for.

Do your research - it will be far better in the long run for you to put your efforts and funds into doing fantastic nail enhancements and then once well established, look at adding other services. I looked recently at my breakdown of my income and only 4% of my income comes from airbrushing.

Having said that I know several great people who have airbrushing services as the mainstay of their business but they are the exception rather than the rule.

If after reading this I have not dulled your enthusiasm LOL then the two makes that come out in any discussion would be Iwata and Badger - Iwatas are the make that I prefer but Badgers have lots of fans too. Iwatas are available from quite a few places - K-Sa-Ra etc. and if you are interested in the Badgers then check out www.allthingsnails.co.uk.

I will apologise now if anyone is upset by this LOL.

Ditto what Fiona said (I seem to be following Fiona around in the posts just lately................ I'm not a stalker - honest!).

I've spent more than I care to remember on airbrushing equipment, but then it started initially as a hobby just for myself, and then suddenly people wanted the same and wanted to pay me for it!! I think I'm one of the exceptions because most of my clients (past - in the UK and present - here in Dublin) have some for of airbrushing, but that could be because I'm a bully! :p

I would certainly advise you to try an airbrush class before buying the lot - you might not like it or take to it, in all the classes I've held I've only ever had one person who STILL couldn't airbrush dry by the end of the class (I was pulling my hair out!) but I think that had more to do with the fact that she didn't want to be there - her boss had made her come to learn how to airbrush!

Find a class that doesn't insist you buy a heap of their products just to do the course, then, if you don't like it, you don't have a bunch of stuff hanging around at home waiting to go on Ebay.

My preference is the Iwata HPB airbrush (although I di still have some old faithful Badger 100SG's around) and the Iwata workd well with airbrush paint by Medea (which you can get from K-Sa-Ra www.netnails.net) or Too Much Fun, who apparently are being a little difficult to get hold of these days so I'd stick with Rachel at K-Sa-Ra.

Think carefully before you part with your money - it's a big outlay and it will take a while to re-coup what you've spent. ;)

Thanks for your replies and your advice is much appreciated.

Not sure what I will do, but am going to start making enquiries about the courses that are local to me.

Cheers

hi just a thought but i do have an iwata airbrush and compressor and paints ect.. on e-bay for sale at the moment if you fancy having a look have started it at a good price anyway just a thought incase you were interested.

do a search under "iwata" seller user name is musicfunkymunky.

good luck.

jambo said:
hi just a thought but i do have an iwata airbrush and compressor and paints ect.. on e-bay for sale at the moment if you fancy having a look have started it at a good price anyway just a thought incase you were interested.

do a search under "iwata" seller user name is musicfunkymunky.

good luck.
hi hunny. i have to say you could do a lot worse than having a bid on jambo's iwata coz that is known to be a very good make. but even if you dont get that keep watching on ebay coz they get some really good deals on there. NailConcepts were selling them for £120 on ebay (mind u they have mixed feedback on their service so you might need to read carefully the feedback reviews!).

Just had a look at Jambo's auction and must admit it's a good bargain for anyone starting out, the compressor alone is worth over £200 and it's a great one, I use this type at all the shows when I do airbrush demos and it just goes on forever - never have any probs with it. There's an air regulator on it so you can adjust the air pressure which means you can use it to do body art and airbrush tanning(which is what I do), but you will need a seperate airbrush for the tanning.

I think from the pic the airbrush and paints are by Nail Creations, not used these myself so can't comment on them. But IMHO this is a great starter kit for someone looking for a bargain!

Hi,

Thanks for that. I shall have a nosey! I have however decided that I also want to offer airbrush tanning also and would therefore want a system that could offer both. Any suggestions, anybody?

x

hi i was doing the same , doing airbrushed nails and wanting to do tanning aswell, i have looked into getting an extra gun coz mine doesnt do both, ithink the su do ones do though, but a new gun is about a hundred quid so i have gone with getting the tanning system from sundrench recommended by fidev (it is on the thread , wanted sudo system) and a few other people have got them aswell, and they all say it is fab, and it only costs 99 quid, hope this helps

JackieMc said:
Just had a look at Jambo's auction and must admit it's a good bargain for anyone starting out, the compressor alone is worth over £200 and it's a great one, I use this type at all the shows when I do airbrush demos and it just goes on forever - never have any probs with it. There's an air regulator on it so you can adjust the air pressure which means you can use it to do body art and airbrush tanning(which is what I do), but you will need a seperate airbrush for the tanning.

I think from the pic the airbrush and paints are by Nail Creations, not used these myself so can't comment on them. But IMHO this is a great starter kit for someone looking for a bargain!

Hi Jackie - wonder if you can help - I recently bought the Sudo TC2000 Compressor (with air regulator) I think I can use this for Nail Art was well as Spray tanning but where do I get another airbrush ?

Shazzar said:
Hi,

Thanks for that. I shall have a nosey! I have however decided that I also want to offer airbrush tanning also and would therefore want a system that could offer both. Any suggestions, anybody?

x

Sudo - they offer a compressor which is a brillian piece of engineering and is multipurpose for Spray Tanning, Nail Art and Body art...they are based in Harrogate (also known as SimAir)

Hi Shaz

I love airbrushing and did the course with creation, i brought all the gear cost me over £700 and got it home and felt that i didnt have the confidence to use it. Then Rachel aka Chocolate offered the geeks a free course with her K-Sa-Ra and it was FAB. It was in Sidcup and lasted 2 day, it was great fun and im now making money from airbrushing and body art.

Rachel & Lisa & Phil are great, their a brillient team and helped me loads, good training is the key!!

Hope it helped

Fab Freak said:
Hi Jackie - wonder if you can help - I recently bought the Sudo TC2000 Compressor (with air regulator) I think I can use this for Nail Art was well as Spray tanning but where do I get another airbrush ?

Hi..... you can buy a decent airbrush for nail art from Rachel at K-Sa-Ra

www.netnails.net

The Iwata HPB is my favourite and you can also buy the Medea airbrush paints from Rachel too.

Send her a pm - she's really helpful and will sort you out with whatever you need.

Jackie :D

JackieMc said:

hi people,

the paints for my airbrush are nail creations and i haven't used them much but they seem to be quite good never had problems with them before.

thanks for showing an interest in the auction xx

hi if you buy the sundrench can you use su dos guns etc to do nail art????

i dont think so coz sundrench is a different systam altogethr, its a hvlp systam and a compressor is different, if you have a compressor you can get different guns for them though, (not sure if this is wot u r wanting to know ,sorry if not!!) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back