Anyone accept Amex Cards?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BotoxBoy

Reaction score
I rang them today to set it up and they wanted to charge me £150 for the privilege!

I told them to stuff it and lo and behold they waived the charge!

Rip off merchants!

Erm, i take Amex. I have lots of public school yummy mummies who love their Amex cards for the airmiles more than their husbands who pay the bills!
I can absolutely guarantee that I pay nothing like £150 PA, in fact I pay £30 pa, and then a pretty normal rate.
Drop me a line and I'll dig out the details.

Never in 15 years of working in salons has someone asked to pay by Amex!

might be different here in Canada...but there are a lot of small businesses that don't take Amex because of the high merchant fee in comparison to the other cards (MC & Visa). I find it's usually the bigger companies that take it since it's easier for them to absorb the cost.

I've not had to pay any annual fee or a set up fee as I said I'd just walk away if there were charges.

by merchant fee I mean the one that the store/merchant is charged every transaction. not the annual fee.

I've not had to pay any annual fee or a set up fee as I said I'd just walk away if there were charges.

They said 2.6% to me but I don't care as its only a few clients who pay with it anyway! I just wasn't going to PAY Amex for the privilege of paying commission on top!

yeah, makes sense. I wouldn't want to either...double charging you in a way.

it's like our phone companies here...they want to charge you a set up fee when you switch to them, then pay monthly. So same thing...please pay us so we can alow you to continue to pay us. strange mentality really.

I accept Amex, but I charge them the transaction cost if they want to use it, which seems to deter them! To be honest, very few people ever seem to use them, most of my wealthy clients use Coutts cards rather than Amex.

I think I should perhaps clarify. I pay Amex £30 a year which reduces my transaction rate to the same as the other cards. As lots of my clients have Amex it made sense for me to accept them; lots of other salons don't so I've become known as someone who does!

Latest posts

Back