Anyone do a Solar Oil prep??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllaX

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone uses for prep?
Daft question I know but I usually:
Cool Blue
Cuticle Remover
work in with pushie, chisel
remove with citus soak
remove shine
scrubfresh
done

Had my nails done at the weekend (wish I hadn't cos she did things different like i'm sure we all do - and now i'm doubting mysefl!)
and she did it like this
applied solar oil
pushie
rubbed rest if oil in with finger
scrubfresh

I sat there thinking these won't last 5 mins - and tbh i have got a tiny bit of lifting but nothing major and they are holding up ok. Maybe its because my nails i'd manicured them regularly after taking, my own enhancements off (but she didn't know this?)

I always thought the whole point of prep as removing cuticle from the nail plate and eliminating as much oil as possible not adding more? Does anyone else use this method?

I do the same as you lovey, I wouldn't risk prepping any other way! THe way I look at it is that Creative train you that way for a reason.......

Good question though, I'm interested to see if anyone does it successfully.....

If it is done like that by some people what is the reason for it? x x

I do my prep more or less the way you do it, but the place I used to go to in England used to use solar oil instead of remover all the time, though she did use citrus soak after and remove the shine before she scrubfreshed!!

I was told that I could use solar oil on toe cuticles on my pedicure course but never before enhancements...... not sure I would want to try it (still battling some lifting doing it the other way!!!) lol

It will be interesting to see how long they last??

Was it a creative trained tech or a tech that just uses creative natural nail care products?? Seems odd that anyone who has trained with creative would do it this way xx

It does depend on how long ago she was trained.

I originally trained in 2000 and we used Solar Oil to soften the cuticles or alternatively you could use the cuticle eraser.

Cuticle Remover is a relatively new product.

I originally trained in 2000 and we used Solar Oil to soften the cuticles or alternatively you could use the cuticle eraser.

that explains it:biggrin: I was trying to work out why anyone would use solar oil, now you've explained it, it makes perfect sense:D.

Yep that makes sense!!

I use Solar Oil when I do a Solar manicure or Spa manicure (used with cuticle eraser as a moisture pack) but never before enhancements.

If you apply solar oil BEFORE you apply cuticle remover, it helps the sodium hydroxide in the remover penetrate the dead tissue better. :)

But I wouldn't solely prep with it, seems like more work than it needs to be. :)

Fiona is spot on....and some people still would use Solar Oil on nail biters to try and soften up all that hard dry cuticle as part of prep!!! As long as the nail still gets dehydrated before product application it should be OK...just more work for the Tech.

When I first trained with Creative I was taught with AHA Cuticle Eraser, and would massage that in to the cuticle area and sidewalls, it's micro exfolliants loosen the non living tissue making it easy to remove with your implement. I still use it as part of the training as it comes in the Professional kit supplied to students.
I still actually prefer this to Cuticle Remover....although Cuticle Remover is less work and more efficient for less experienced Techs. Obviously my students get to use Cuticle remover too....then it is down to what they prefer. CHOICE...its great to have it!!!!

So it just goes to show that there is more than one way to do things...but that products are constantly evolving to make our job easier....and we will all benefit by keeping up to date and upgrading our skills with further Education.

Aah thats interesting information - thanx for that!!!

Slight lifting (i get my hair caught in them when im washing it) but they are holding up well! xx

Latest posts

Back