Anyone do spray tan at home/mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I am thinking of learning spray tanning to add to my service menu. I imagine there would be some overspray (although I intend to find a system where this is minimal) but am wondering about my walls etc??! Where do you do yours? I know you can buy the cubicles but do they really contain all the mess? Do you have to wipe them out after as well or does it get on clients' feet?

Oh and what does the client wear?

Sorry to ask such silly questions! :confused:

I am thinking of learning spray tanning to add to my service menu. I imagine there would be some overspray (although I intend to find a system where this is minimal) but am wondering about my walls etc??! Where do you do yours? I know you can buy the cubicles but do they really contain all the mess? Do you have to wipe them out after as well or does it get on clients' feet?

Oh and what does the client wear?

Sorry to ask such silly questions! :confused:

I use Tantrick mobile and at home I use the tent supplied as part of the kit and it pretty much contains the spray. I don't have an extractor on it.
I do wipe out the base of the cubicle as spray does drift downwards and that is why i get people to stand on individual pieces of salon roll, though you can get 'sticky feet' which protect the soles of your feet from the product.

People can wear whatever they want. I supply paper thongs and haircovers but they can wear bikini, old undies, just remembering that it will get spray on it.

I do tans at home or in other people's every week. I use a Minimist and a mobile cubicle (I've got a spare if you want it). You can buy both as a package through various companies and they usually include solution too.

I have never noticed any overspray. When the client is in the cubicle I ask them to wear sticky feet and stand on a towel to ensure their feet are 'covered'. The gun is inside the cubicle when spraying so the sides and top catch any extra and I wipe it down with a damp cloth regularly.

Good luck and hth.:hug:

L xx

With Tantrick's mini mist machine and booth there is virtually no or minimal overspray once you can use the kit to its optimum performance (which you are shown with their training). I have a salon screen set up at home and do regular tans and I did notice in the beginning that I was getting a little mist spray on my tables in the salon so to avoid this I now use an extractor which is brilliant.

When ever I do one at a clients house I have (up to now) never noticed any overspray on their furniture or they havent come back to me to say they had some. I did a lady last summer who had had a brand new light cream carpet laid and a new cream suite in the area that I was spraying.. my heart was in my mouth I can tell you.... but I shouldnt have worried as there was no marks or residue and I sprayed her friend too so how kewl is that :)

Over spray is normally produced if you are using substandard kit and products or you are not using quality kit and products to their best ability. It is all very easy once you have been trained to use the kit properly.

I am a Tantrick minimist user too - mainly use them in my salon, but I do occasionally do them at home. If it is on me or my family I tend to do the spray in the shower and as I have got used to it there is less and less if any overspray!

I do wear the sticky feet pads though - just to stop my clients having orange feet - not nice!

You need to either spray in a shower cubicle or in a tent. There will always be a certain amount of overspray no matter what machine you use. You can minimise this by your spray technique but not eliminate it completely. Think about it as you spray someone - say you are doing their legs or hands, as you spray down and away from areas such as feet and hands there is going to be a certain amount of spray which is not hitting the body, therefore producing "overspray". HTH
Liz

I have 2 Vani-t pop up booths set up in different rooms, these are also used for mobile sprays.

My rooms are light colours- I use the booths, have black bath mats layed out inside the booth.

5 months of spraying in there, there's no residue/discolouration to the walls floors or furniture coverings.
Minimal to zero overspray when used correctly.

I have heard of one salon here where there walls go green from the tan...Yuk!

I haven't had to clean the booths, but if I did I'd peg them to the clothes line give, them a blast with the hose, air them dry & bring inside. They are made of lightweight material easy to clean & dry IMO

Clients will want to be tanned mostly bottoms on - top off.
Some will go butt naked, others will wear a t-shirt and shorts.
Depends on the clients particular level of modesty & yours to a certain degree

HtH

XX J XX

You can buy a spray tent with a flap opening in the back of the tent where you can fit an extraction unit, just leave running for five mins after the spraying session and it removes any overspray hth

Its a great add on service, I love it and so do my clients. Its also a great time of year to start, as everyone is feeling a little pasty and come the spring when people are starting to get the arms and legs out again is when they start thinking about tanning.

I also use Tantrick at home and mobile and have been for a year now. I don't find that I have any overspray, I use the pop up tent and just wipe out after a few tans. It also has a plastic roof to attach. During the spring/summer months I found I used it alot more so I used to use the hosepipe on it and give it a good wash/air in the garden, but at the moment just a good wipe through.

My clients stand on couch roll but I think I'll invest in the sticky feet. I also supply my clients with a paper thong and haircover.

Just getting my kit, whats best & why to use for a mobile tanner, airbrush or a gun? Plus what do you find is the main difference between the two?

Just getting my kit, whats best & why to use for a mobile tanner, airbrush or a gun? Plus what do you find is the main difference between the two?

There are loads of past threads covering this info Leah, I am sure you will find oodles of info in the search.

But.. the main differences I have found is the the overspray and time it takes to do a tan.

Airbrush takes a lot longer in application (usually 20 - 30 mins) and gives off much more overspray.
And the reverse of this the HVLP is a fast (between 5 and 15 mins) and effective alternative and when trained to use correctly will give little or no overspray.

It is still down to personal preference but the HVLP is fast becoming the favourate machine on the market today.

Thanks Jen did look through loads of threads previously but didn't come across this exact answer!! You've just said exactly what I was thinking but wanted to make sure I was right, as been looking all over comparing kits & some offered airbrush with the kits & buy the gun separately, which your explanation kinda explains why as now most will go straight for buying the gun!!!! :)

Thanks Jen did look through loads of threads previously but didn't come across this exact answer!! You've just said exactly what I was thinking but wanted to make sure I was right, as been looking all over comparing kits & some offered airbrush with the kits & buy the gun separately, which your explanation kinda explains why as now most will go straight for buying the gun!!!! :)

Well your hubby knows where I live (as he delivered the bed ;) )and you are welcome to come and give both options a try. I still have my airbrush and compressor as well as both the Mini Mist and Whispermist Machines. :)

I am thinking of training with Tantrick. Can anyone tell me if they use an airbrush or gun please?

I am thinking of training with Tantrick. Can anyone tell me if they use an airbrush or gun please?

Tantrick uses the Mini Mist HVLP which is the portable unit and also the Whisper Mist which is the salon turbine and HVLP gun. I have both machines and they both give a wicked tan. PM if you want any more details or click on this link <---->

:)

Tantrick uses the Mini Mist HVLP which is the portable unit and also the Whisper Mist which is the salon turbine and HVLP gun. I have both machines and they both give a wicked tan. PM if you want any more details or click on this link <---->

:)

Are you on commission Jen? :lol:

Are you on commission Jen? :lol:

I am a trainer CandenceAlex.. why what is your point? I am only trying to be helpful and answer Blossom's direct question!

Well your hubby knows where I live (as he delivered the bed ;) )and you are welcome to come and give both options a try. I still have my airbrush and compressor as well as both the Mini Mist and Whispermist Machines. :)

Thanks Jen, if I can get him to drive me down, I might take you up on that offer, would be nice to finally meet in person!!! Wow what a collection though, ready for anything hey!! LOL :)

Hey that wink might get people wondering what more there was to it, lol!! :)

Thanks Jen, if I can get him to drive me down, I might take you up on that offer, would be nice to finally meet in person!!! Wow what a collection though, ready for anything hey!! LOL :)

One tries one's best lol!! You are welcome anytime.. just give us a shout :)

Sorry to sound thick . . . it would be the Minimist I'd be interested in, so that is a gun, yes? Only from these posts the gun seems the best option here! Thank you for your time. x

Latest posts

Back