Anyone done a business course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer_1

Reaction score
Hey geeks!

Was just wondering how many of you has done a business course to help you start your own salon and how helpful it was??
Im thinking of doing one so any advice would be great! xx

I havent done a business course. From my own perspective I have life experience, experience in what I do and Im of the view that life is for living, we all make mistakes(I have) sometimes costly.but you never repeat the same mistakes again. I got myself a book..business for dummies.....I researched my market, I looked at various business accounts, I looked at myself too. Its not an easy thing to do but I am taking the plunge with a business venture now....waiting to sign the lease, ordered skin care, looking into nail systems, the geeks on this site are great with what works and what doesnt and more importantly why it doesnt! Ive done a few posts asking about nails, skin, business bank accounts....
But thats what I have done......have you a business link where you are? I beleive they offer invaluable advice....just dont get roped into something you dont want to and if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is...
PHEW........sorry for the ramble, Teresa:)

I did a business degree before I did beauty, it has definately helped me. For instance in writing business plans, forecasting, financial planning and marketing. My bus. is very small scale but hopefully one day I can use what I learnt and put them into practice a bit more.

I don't think you need to go as far as a degree but I did it as I was 18 and didn't know what I wanted to do, but I don't think anyone would go a miss with learning extra skills.

One thing I did learn is you have to be ahead of the competition; differentiate yourself from them and have something unique in order to succeed.

hth's xx

xxx

I don't think you need to go as far as a degree but I did it as I was 18 and didn't know what I wanted to do, but I don't think anyone would go a miss with learning extra skills.

to be honest thats kind of half of it im only 20 and was thinking about going to college/uni so was thinking if i did a business type thing then it'l help with my nail career should I ever own a salon plus give me something to fall back on later on in life :green: still only thinking about it though!

Uni is a fab thing to go to, you make friends for life, have a ball and learn new skills. I was 19 when I went, I would just go for it, cos if you leave it and get to my age of 31 you may have different priorities and may not be able to go.

You'll have the time of your life it's the best thing I ever did (well the course was very boring at times, as was the homework, assignments - but we had lots of fun and adventures) in fact I met my old flat mates of 12 years yesterday, we all have kids now it is great they all play together!xx go for it. x

look into it now, I'd say, then you can look at which one to go to, apply in good time etc.

At least you have your nails to fall back on and provide a career whilst at uni. stop those debts a bit!! xxx

Im 39 , had my other career, re trained in beauty a few years ago, you really have to decide what you want now and will your degree serve a purpose, noting prepares you in my opinion for life experience and being in business. I do agree that it may give you the fundamentals,but will it give you the people skills you need? I imagine it will inevitably teach you to liase with other professionals and stick to your guns more.
Im sure what ever you do it will be right for you, its never to late to learn:)

We are doing an in-depth Business Studies unit in the NVQ L3 nail services course I am doing at the moment, this week we were learning about all the things you can claim for and how to fill in the simple tax return, next week who knows what we will be learning, but it will come in very useful in the end.

Joan

We are doing an in-depth Business Studies unit in the NVQ L3 nail services course I am doing at the moment, this week we were learning about all the things you can claim for and how to fill in the simple tax return, next week who knows what we will be learning, but it will come in very useful in the end.

Joan

Wow i wish we'd done the business unit, would have help me with my tax return lol.

Ive done an a level in business studies at 6th form (before i went on to college 2 do nails) because i wasnt sure what i wanted to do in life! Its helped me a fair bit with keeping records like profit + loss, balance sheets ,and day 2 day accounts, also the marketing unit helped me.

Some colleges do courses for businesses as evening classes, or over 1 year which wouldnt be as long as doing a degree (3 years i think) but it depends on your personal circumstances how long u can take out to do a course.

hth xx

im looking into it, its never something iv ever thought of doing my dad was always pushing for it after i left school but it never happened! :lol:

Now my parents and wee sisters and baby bro have moved to the middle east cause of my dads work and finding it really hard to cope without them etc and dads offered to give me and my sister (shes a beauty therapist) the money to open a salon over there with a new car each thrown in!
I know im sounding really spoilt right now but i dont think im ready to open my own place and the idea of living over there doesnt appeal to me but if i turn that down and keep missing them like mad and being down over it i cant really just keep living over here going from job to job so was thinking of trying the uni thing.
I do love doing nails but i just dont want it to be twenty years later and maybe want a change and not have any other qualifications!

Sorry for going on just wanted to let you know the story behind it lol
:green:

Latest posts

Back