Anyone else almost done with this industry? Thanks Covid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi ya. I found myself into this page just by chance, but i am very happy i found it, as is the most educative web i ever come across.
First, i am going to give a few details about myself, so i can finish with telling my reason that made me want to reply to this discussion ( i want to mention that, by doing this i am so out and far from my "comfort zone" as i don't feel comfortable expressing my oppinion on social media ) 😱 Anyways my name is Elisse, and i am passionate with everything related to the Beauty Industry, but my favourite topic is NAILS. I am also qualified on Gel Nails, and Lash Extensions, but not from long time, approx 1y and all i need is practice, loads of it. As with the theory side of it, i am thirsty to accumulate as many info i can and turn into a sponge of info🤣. Now enough about me.....why i am writing here for, is intended to all of those Lady's that are literally carrying GOLD with them and among themselves. With all the experience you all detain, that make you "rare gemstones". It made so sad when i read about how down ye feel, and loosing your enthusiasm, even thinking to give up to the nails.....it made me so sad because i would never thought that one day you will get to loose interest even in your passion. Now i want to let u know that i have all my respect for you, and for what you have "two lifes" living in one, and i want to show you all my support and my admiration, and i wish someday i will be there too, my adventures are only starting in this new World full of "Nail" experiences , as i said above that i need practice as i am trying to set my own business from home now, but the situation is not to favorable for me, is disarming as i have my little room set up and all but it's filled with emptiness😅 But....no worries, i am waiting. And i have a big believe that good times will comeback for everyone again, nail business will be bumming, and the only ones that will stand tall will be you Lady's, no newbies, no those that become "Nail Technician" over night, or the "new generation with training online" maybe some who haven't even got to see a set of nails being done in real life yet, never mind thinking they have done at least the basic course before learning online, which i think is a joke the online nails courses, referring strictly at the ones that sell the fake illusion on becoming Nail Tech🤣 So none of them can step over all your hard work and training with peanuts🤣. Hold on to your enthusiasm Lady's, don't despair and do never think aagain let go of your treasure! 😘😘

When I was just trying to come back after the last lockdown and another lockdown was set, I chose to unsubscribe from all of the product lines sending launch emails.

It was such an upsetting time that I was reading those emails as “insensitive” - companies still trying to make money out of people when effectively we as the industry pros could make none, and after spending the extra on PPE.

It’s certainly not the same experience for everyone, but looking after myself meant unsubscribing for a while and taking more rest.

Stuff like this knocks out perceptions sometimes, it’s no fun and motivations being zero is so natural.

The recent news looks like it’s heading toward vaccines not being as effective as originally thought so literally today I’m planning my plan B. I’m not coming back, and if I do it will be on a very small scale not enough to earn a living on.

I think that the wait for lockdowns to end is likely going to be much longer, and more expenditure, a longer wait is not viable for me now, and do not think that I’ll be able to cope with the new covid stress part of the job, so decided to focus on my life where I’d like to be in myself (nothing to do with jobs) and go with exploring covid proof options x

Last edited:
I think those of us who have been honest, have all had and are having the same experiences. Most of us still don't have all our clients back and those who have come back are not so anxious to come as regularly. Some have embraced the grey, some do their own colour now and only come for cuts.....some have let their hair grow into style that don't need much upkeep, knowing that more lockdowns were imminent. The beauty side?....well who needs toes painted when their going no hols, no weddings, no nights out! Folk are doing their own face masks, feet mask, hair masks....u name it...cause there's nothing else to do! I'm not sure what the answer is, but I think there'll be a few more give up before this is over.....I think some of us just haven't made up our minds if that's us yet!

Wishing us all luck. Xx
I started working in Kill Devil Hills in December, basically starting all over again. This whole COVID pandemic is keeping people from being receptive to my advertisements or anything. It’s going to be tough starting all over but I’m determined dammit!! Lol

Whilst I absolutely agree with everything you posted I think, for me anyway, the last sentence hit hardest - I just don't have the inclination, drive or interest in doing anything in preparation. Yes I understand the 'use this time to better yourself' theory, there's loads of free (and paid) on-line classes I like the look of but when push comes to shove I just can't be bothered.

I did all the industry suggested 'things' in first lockdown...stayed engaged, shared exciting things, etc. but this time I it's not happening. It feels a little tone deaf, maybe because I know many of my clients are dealing with far more serious issues currently, and whilst pretty nails might be a distraction often it makes them more disappointed that things are just not settling down.

I feel like a beaten dog.
I feel exactly the same - but not in a
‘beaten dog’ way - more of a ‘can’t be arsed’ way! 🥱
Sooo unprofessional of me to say - but it’s how I feel.....
I don’t think we’re going to see anything like the interest we had when we reopened in July...
Folk have got used to living without us - the spell has been broken - they have taught themselves to do-it-themself! 🤓

I have to admit I’ve spent a lot of the past 12 months hiding under the duvet. However the one bright spot has been learning how to support other people as a massage therapist online. I’ve been really well supported by my amazing training school at Jing and I’ve loved exploring a different way to nurture yourself and the combination of stretching movements, Accupressure, breathwork and a little mindfulness feels like a different offering to all the yoga/Pilates/medietc.

You are very welcome to a free taster session run by Jing this Monday at 2pm GMT but you’ll need to be quick as registration closes at noon today. You’ll need to email me directly for a registration link. I’ll edit this post and remove my email when the registration has passed.

I really encourage you to give it a go. I’ve found it really helpful and I’m very happy to run another session (with me) if there is sufficient interest. I’ve gained a lot from salon geek over the years and I really appreciate all the kindness and support I’ve received so this is my chance to say thank you and give back
20AAD3D1-2907-434D-AA82-CA40A0A517E3.jpeg

Last edited:
With companies like ‘iiaa’ selling their products cheap on line.....
‘Lash Perfect’ selling ‘Tint your own brow kits’ on Instagram...
..... and prestigious ‘Celebrity Hairdressers’ doing videos on ‘How to cut your own hair’ I’m sad to report - we’re done!
The arse has fallen out of our industry! 🙁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back