Anyone else almost done with this industry? Thanks Covid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I started in this industry over 17 years ago and have built up my business and my treatment menu to where it is - sorry was - about this time last year. I love my work and my clients. But I’m so done with this. My enthusiasm is waning.

Even when we start up again after lockdowns, I’ve lost a big percentage of my nail clients who for various reasons have not returned, some are vulnerable or have vulnerable members in their household, others do their own or can’t be bothered because there’s nowhere to go. I’ve a large group of ladies who have paid out twice now for courses of Microdermabrasion facials and were on maintenance, but they won’t pay a third time of that I’m fairly sure. Plus the machine is costing me money even when I’m not working as it’s PAYG but there’s a minimum.

On top of that I’ve realised, during lockdown, that I actually like not having people in the house.

Is anyone else feeling similarly disenchanted and thinking about doing something different?

I started in this industry over 17 years ago and have built up my business and my treatment menu to where it is - sorry was - about this time last year. I love my work and my clients. But I’m so done with this. My enthusiasm is waning.

Even when we start up again after lockdowns, I’ve lost a big percentage of my nail clients who for various reasons have not returned, some are vulnerable or have vulnerable members in their household, others do their own or can’t be bothered because there’s nowhere to go. I’ve a large group of ladies who have paid out twice now for courses of Microdermabrasion facials and were on maintenance, but they won’t pay a third time of that I’m fairly sure. Plus the machine is costing me money even when I’m not working as it’s PAYG but there’s a minimum.

On top of that I’ve realised, during lockdown, that I actually like not having people in the house.

Is anyone else feeling similarly disenchanted and thinking about doing something different?

Yep, I've done absolutely nothing nail related in any of the lockdowns. I'm sick of seeing nails all over socials because it makes me feel like a failure. I'm not messaging my clients because I realised it was making some of them feel obliged to book in. That means I'm lonely, no-one but Husband to talk to. I genuinely can't see many clients coming back, or even when. I too have loved having the house client free, but I'm equally aware that working from home and having no overheads is the only reason I'm able to stay open. That makes me feel bad. I'm really struggling this time round. I've much appreciated Rishi's contributions but not contributing much to the household makes me feel worthless.

There was a post on here the other day of someone who had started their business last year and said they were fully booked 3 weeks in advance....no offence but how TF??? Even when we first came out of lockdown I was only busy for the first weeks then it died off again, those who came spent much less, so how did a newbie manage to out perform me? I'm not bitching about them specifically but more about the situation....how rubbish must I be if I can’t even make it work with a previously solid client base.

I'm 51, not sure what else I would want to do. It's all a bit **** isn't it.

i feel the same. I could have written your post myself.
I’m definitely losing enthusiasm.
Having opened back up at home, after finishing teaching beauty 7 years ago , I had just got to the point of being consistently busy but with only about 50% of business returning when not closed, I feel like I’ve gone back to square one again.
I think many clients have lost interest in treatments. Hopefully once holidays and special events start again they will return 🤞
I’m fortunate in that working from home by myself I have no rent or wages to pay , many others are having a very tough financial time.

I post on my salon fb page regularly but engagement from clients is low. I think everyone is finding it hard especially with the cold wet weather.
We just all need to hang in there xx

I sadly know how your feeling I’ve had my business for 37yrs!!! Been through a few recessions but nothing like this , it’s sole destroying seeing everything you’ve worked so hard for slipping away. I agree clients just don’t seam bothered and it’s been too long now that they can manage without us or doing things themselves. I’m trying to stay positive, I’ve decorated my salon and researching new organic products in the hope when we can start going out and getting away clients will come back but sadly I think it will be like starting up from scratch all over again , like you I do wonder some days is it all worth it !!!😞🙄

Feel totally the same as all of you posting here.

To be honest there have been many occasions when I have felt like shutting up shop ( I'm a home salon for 32 years in March, been in the industry for 39 years)

I feel worthless and in a job that seems totally pointless! Yes, our clients can do it all themselves from seeing you tube tutorials and we aren't sure who may well return after the time away. Obviously there will be some clients with eyebrows that are a disaster zone, but if it saves them a few quid they'll do it on a more permanent basis. I have done very few gel nails since March , but OMG all that stock !!!

I'm not normally a cup half empty type of person, but I am now.

Luckily for me , I don't have shop costs to think about....but some of you do have and it's awful for you. I still have bills to pay etc, and I'm no where near retirement yet.

As for my social media, it's like flogging a dead horse. Trying my best to retail some beautiful products to hear them say......"I'm alright for stuff thanks , been to Boots, bought off Amazon or other massive company." My heart sinks and I do feel really saddened by it all.

On the up side, if there is one these days. I don't miss all that cleaning and worrying constantly about all those vulnerables/shielders/clients with health issues that are very frightened about coming.

I'm currently learning some new bodywork massage procedures which is giving me a bit of enthusiasm would you believe it? Perhaps as the time gets nearer to reopening I may well miss the solitude and actually think to myself "Is this really what I want?" Or maybe it'll be the opposite and I'll say "I love my job !" Albeit with much quieter diary like in the younger days of my business.

I have "met" on this forum some very lovely people, and my goodness we have needed it to get us through this very bad time. Thankyou to everyone that has posted and encouraged one another....it's very heart warming indeed.

RosieR x

Hmm, seems it’s the old timers who are responding here! I count myself in the group. I’m 74 and been in the business with my hairdresser husband for almost 50 years.

In the US, the states have individual rights to lock down due to COVID-19 to different degrees. And to make it crazier, each county or city has the right to tighten or loosen restrictions. Just drive a bit and it’s probably different regs.

We left Santa Fe, New Mexico in August. I was at a private club, Las Campanas, for five years. I was fortunate to have well-educated, wealthy clients who lived behind their massive gates. And, I think they thought that would protect them. I just didn’t feel secure being face to face with them anymore.

We moved about 300 miles to Lubbock, Texas, where the cost of living is appreciably lower. We have connected with a local congregation and that has made us feel at home. But, work...

I decided to buy online liquidations and sell ‘mystery boxes’, of assorted cosmetics and makeup. It’s been a bit of an investment, but I hope to realize some profit. I also have gone through my jewelry and decided what I don’t use, wear or need. That’s going to eBay, too.

Will I go back to manicuring? Absolutely! I have too much experience and knowledge and desire to help to not go back. It is really tough to see all my things stored. But, right now and for the foreseeable future, that’s just the way it is.

Don’t forget that you all have so much to give and you WILL pull through this and a couple of years from now, if we’re blessed to still be able to work, we’ll pick up right where we left off. And the clients will come out of the woodwork, too. I truly believe it.

I think those of us who have been honest, have all had and are having the same experiences. Most of us still don't have all our clients back and those who have come back are not so anxious to come as regularly. Some have embraced the grey, some do their own colour now and only come for cuts.....some have let their hair grow into style that don't need much upkeep, knowing that more lockdowns were imminent. The beauty side?....well who needs toes painted when their going no hols, no weddings, no nights out! Folk are doing their own face masks, feet mask, hair masks....u name it...cause there's nothing else to do! I'm not sure what the answer is, but I think there'll be a few more give up before this is over.....I think some of us just haven't made up our minds if that's us yet!

Wishing us all luck. Xx

Well it’s kind of good knowing I’m not alone in my thoughts .... but depressing at the same time... as a couple of you have said, some people are going through incredibly tough times financially and I’m lucky we’re “managing “ but yes doesn’t it make you feel crap not to contribute to the household finances.
Jlsdds that’s very resourceful and I wish you well with it.
RosieR now there’s a good point, Massage is one thing you can’t do for yourself, it’s just not relaxing, and nobody I know has a willing partner. That is something that I for one could definitely make more of.
Trinity how right you are, our home salons are the only reason we are still around at all, very much the case.
Sorry for the whinge. I’m usually a glass half full type of person as well RosieR but this really does beat it out of you.
Appreciate all the replies my lovelies and good luck to everyone 😘

Yep, I've done absolutely nothing nail related in any of the lockdowns. I'm sick of seeing nails all over socials because it makes me feel like a failure. I'm not messaging my clients because I realised it was making some of them feel obliged to book in. That means I'm lonely, no-one but Husband to talk to. I genuinely can't see many clients coming back, or even when. I too have loved having the house client free, but I'm equally aware that working from home and having no overheads is the only reason I'm able to stay open. That makes me feel bad. I'm really struggling this time round. I've much appreciated Rishi's contributions but not contributing much to the household makes me feel worthless.

There was a post on here the other day of someone who had started their business last year and said they were fully booked 3 weeks in advance....no offence but how TF??? Even when we first came out of lockdown I was only busy for the first weeks then it died off again, those who came spent much less, so how did a newbie manage to out perform me? I'm not bitching about them specifically but more about the situation....how rubbish must I be if I can’t even make it work with a previously solid client base.

I'm 51, not sure what else I would want to do. It's all a bit **** isn't it.
Cmon lady... 51 full of talent and experience along with a skill set you just can't buy..when they open the gates again.send in a trooper (a spy) and see exactly what they do differently if any at all better than you... You if poss go with sit n watch.
This will cure your curiosity 🙂...always remember " cream always rises to the top" if it is what you say re your business was..then just take note of your local competitors and remember competition draws in people ...your not done yet.
Another view point maybe go out and work in a shop n rent a chair
Good luck kid don't despair just yet

Hiya...I cut hair and have done for 41 years...
I left my industry after 20 years ..cut my last cut ..had five salons in partnership and I walked away from it all..felt like a tax collector and a nurse to all those staff issues and failed to enjoy it ..I doubted myself in a competitive way as new businesses were opening around the area.. stuff Ike this as u may be able to take in....
I left it for ten years ..still cutting friends n fam but not Infront of the mirror.
Eventually I returned , re invigorated along with the pursuit of helping my daughter to learn the skills I have ..to my point .
If u like I did leave your skill and go working somewhere else ..even for another doing the same or Tesco ..I can tell you this for nothing
YOU WON'T stay .. so chill and don't follow the others your seeing being this n that how wonderful they are (not)'
Chill n book a little few sessions in other places ..learn more stuff
Follow Instagram people you like or similar..
Just remember you have skills that can't be taught overnight...I always say
Cream always rises to the too .... Keep the faith :)

Hmm, seems it’s the old timers who are responding here! I count myself in the group. I’m 74 and been in the business with my hairdresser husband for almost 50 years.

In the US, the states have individual rights to lock down due to COVID-19 to different degrees. And to make it crazier, each county or city has the right to tighten or loosen restrictions. Just drive a bit and it’s probably different regs.

We left Santa Fe, New Mexico in August. I was at a private club, Las Campanas, for five years. I was fortunate to have well-educated, wealthy clients who lived behind their massive gates. And, I think they thought that would protect them. I just didn’t feel secure being face to face with them anymore.

We moved about 300 miles to Lubbock, Texas, where the cost of living is appreciably lower. We have connected with a local congregation and that has made us feel at home. But, work...

I decided to buy online liquidations and sell ‘mystery boxes’, of assorted cosmetics and makeup. It’s been a bit of an investment, but I hope to realize some profit. I also have gone through my jewelry and decided what I don’t use, wear or need. That’s going to eBay, too.

Will I go back to manicuring? Absolutely! I have too much experience and knowledge and desire to help to not go back. It is really tough to see all my things stored. But, right now and for the foreseeable future, that’s just the way it is.

Don’t forget that you all have so much to give and you WILL pull through this and a couple of years from now, if we’re blessed to still be able to work, we’ll pick up right where we left off. And the clients will come out of the woodwork, too. I truly believe it.
You are inspirational, and I cannot for a moment believe you are 74, from your profile photo! Well done for diversifying into selling products online, you sound like you've still got the passion for the industry. I'm 57 now and was getting to the point of wanting to slow down at my salon, and cut my hours, then this came along and kind of did it for me, big time....
I have been very fortunate with grants from the government, so at the moment I have absolutely no financial pressure to return.
But his situation has taught me that I definitely need people around me. And if I do get to the point of selling my business, I will need another role either paid or voluntary lined up, to give me structure, as well as a social side, to my life.
I think a lot of the negative feelings expressed here on this particular issue are due to the fact that we are all used to being with people in our jobs, and now we no longer have that contact, and it makes us feel low and have these feelings of wanting to give up.
May be we should all wait and see how we feel once the economy has opened up a bit (in the UK) and we're back to seeing our clients again, before we make any major decisions about the future.
Good luck to all us "oldies"!

Im a mobile therapist and was doing quite ok before lockdown. I found ways how to make things easy whilst being mobile how to pack light, setting up performing treatments etc. My brains fogged out worried will forget things and the anxiety of when will we be able to get back to work. Like most of you ladies saying with all the DIYs and no where to go will anyone even want a treatment?😪. Is this trade going to down?

In a strange way it's quite reassuring to realise I'm not the only one feeling this way. It's hard to keep feeling positive when all you see is adverts for 'do it yourself kits ' making it look like our years of training and expertise are worth nothing when you can just as easily do it yourself for less at home and there are so many cheap online beauty courses available at the minute that anyone can train to be a beauty therapist in no time at all. I'm not saying all online courses are bad as I've done quite a few myself but not sure how you can train to do microblading online with no other background knowledge? Maybe I'm showing my age! Luckily I do a lot of treatments that people can't do themselves (reflexology, facials, Hollywood waxing) for anyone feeling a bit negative at the minute there's a Facebook group called salonology that I've just joined, bit OTT with the positivity sometimes but helps me when I'm feeling fed up with the whole industry.

I retired a few years ago and don't have to make the same decisions that so many of you do now. It is certainly difficult times and the uncertainty of each day and each news report makes it so much worse. So I see this as an insider and an outsider. I do think our industry will be revived, but when and how is still up for grabs. Trying to go back to the way it was is doomed. I do think that the survivors will be the ones that recognize the fundamental ways this time has changed us and our clients. I think we are all recognizing the importance of true expertise, the value of human touch, and the importance of self-care. I think that's where we have to head. I think nail care will be much more about self-care and health than fashion and beauty. I think people will be seeking a deeper, more connected/holistic, more pragmatic and healthier sense of beauty and care. And that will happen at all price points.

I think we are all recognizing the importance of true expertise, the value of human touch, and the importance of self-care.
Well said.

Hi everyone,

I can relate to everyone’s posts so much, it isn’t an easy time but I do think that things will be ok beyond Spring.. if not then by September at least due to vaccinations being done, and of course if that goes smoothly.

I’ve been off for a bit before all this started so I think I had a bit of a head start, but planning to come back has not been smooth and even pre covid after buying a new sofa with illegal chems in it which sent my immune system into so much overload that I couldn’t do anything.

I have used the time to nurse my system back to health and trial and test how I am with products to see how I go along.. and try to brush up on acrylic which I am out of touch with.

It’s hard because much of our worth is what we do in our jobs, so just remember everyone that beyond our jobs and our roles that there’s a person in there, and that person is the most worthy thing there is just for being who we are :). It is lonely without clients but when they are back I know for one that I’ll have the Prosecco in to offer to every single one of them and look forward to enjoying every minute back at my nail desk.. and if it doesn’t happen then I’ll have to see what’s good at the time and look at other options.

Money is likely to be low for many people, but if the last recession is anything to go by then beauty sales will be up.

Plus, I’ve got one of those big sparkly Roo bellaroo bags to use and go with going back to boot 😄.

Look after yourselves everyone x

Last edited:
I’m so with everyone here. It’s disheartening not having clients come back because of being vulnerable, scared of the situation or not having treatments because they haven’t anywhere to go. I feel I am lucky with most of my clients, in the fact that during the first lockdown they didn’t do anything to themselves, just waited it out until I was back to work so I didn’t lose them to learning how to do treatments themselves.
I’m actually not looking forward to going back to work whenever that might be. I haven’t missed lugging my kit in & out the car & up flights of stairs all day long. I haven’t missed all the extra cleaning, doing treatments in sweaty, sickening visors & masks. I haven’t missed the conversations which always seem to be permanently about covid at the moment. Plus with the added stress of having vulnerable people at home & being potentially vulnerable myself, i’m constantly worried I will bring the virus home.
The only thing is, I wouldn’t know what else to do with my life if it wasn’t beauty. I think I still have a passion for the job, just not in this current climate.
I guess we just have to hope that it will get better now with the rollout of the vaccines. I do think they should first vaccinate those that are dealing with the public, those dealing with the public for an extended timeframe or close contact like us but doesn’t look like that is going to happen anytime soon. I can see with opening everything up again with the general working population unvaccinated will make the numbers rise again once people are going to pubs & shops again.

Its such worrying times for everyone and there is no denying that its going to take a while yet before things are allowed to get back to "normal".
I know a lot of clients are trying themselves at DIY but I do think they will realise how hard it is and that treatments take a lot more than a cheap kit and youtube videos and they will appreciate you even more for it, knowing how difficult it is to offer these amazing treatments.
I agree with some of you, that beauty will revive but how long it will take before its booming again is hard to tell and I think a lot will depend on the vaccination program, the results and also the confidence it might bring to clients

Its tough times - not only financially (especially for those who have fallen through the gap and not received any support) but also emotionally and it can severely knock your confidence and you start doubting yourself so reach out to friends and family or on here and lets all support each other through these challenging times x

I think the one big thing I'm worrying about is the introduction of new products and not being able to test them out in the salon setting.

New products are coming on the market regularly, don't they know we are locked out, up and down to some degree everywhere? 🤪 Playing catchup will be daunting, but I expect we will rise to the challenge.

“I haven’t missed the conversations which always seem to be permanently about covid at the moment.”

I think people outside of a hair or beauty setting might easily overlook just how much our sectors support the general public through just listening.

There’s very little support for people to vent about covid, or anything else either.. and I find people tend to be more open with their stuff towards an outside agent like ourselves rather than members of their immediate families or friends because they prefer not to stress them out.

Personally I think being in this industry is as not simple as just being the pro, there’s this hidden underlooked side to the job too x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back