Anyone else have back problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piersstanaway

Reaction score
Ive been hairdressing for 10yrs and recently suffered very bad back pain, im tall and had to take 2 months off with excruciating sciatic nerve pain, im returning to work but hope someone can give some tips on how they've overcome back problems in the industry,
I am having physio and do gym work 5 days a week, i find cutting hair i always favour one side

What a pain! Keep your core strong, have you tried Pilates or Yoga!? I've had the same problem over time & keeping my core strong is the only thing that helps, good luck with it, 😉 xx

Hope your feeling better, have you tried a chiropractor? I have been seeing one recently and it's helping a lot. X

Ive been hairdressing for 10yrs and recently suffered very bad back pain, im tall and had to take 2 months off with excruciating sciatic nerve pain, im returning to work but hope someone can give some tips on how they've overcome back problems in the industry,
I am having physio and do gym work 5 days a week, i find cutting hair i always favour one side

Depending on what is causing the pain. Was it muscle spasms also? I was out of work for 3 weeks because of a pulled back muscle. It's seriously unpleasant and agony. I heard Pilates is good. As is yoga. But defo a strong core. HIIT workouts for the core give the best results. You should also discuss this with the physio and perhaps book an appointment with a chiropractor. 😃 hope it gets better ASAP. And don't forget... Watch your posture. Hairdressers are renowned for bad posture 🙊

I see a chiropractor regularly and have a sports massage as often as I can afford to. If I didn't I would be in agony and stiff as a board. Xxx

To help with costs could you join a healthcare business like simply health so you can claim some of the costs back?

I used to get it through work and claimed dentist, glasses and Physio

Just a thought xx

Pilates was the answer for me after years and years of back pain. Just make sure you find a good teacher - ask your Physio for recommendations. Hope things improve for you.

Thanks for all your advise ! I think the hair industry isn't made for people 6"6 like myself low basins and chairs contribute to bad backs, will try chiropractor i think

I have recently started having massage as kept getting back & shoulder pain and feeling tense from it which was causing headaches,the lady giving the massage asked straight away if I was a hairdresser as she could feel all the tension in the right hand side which is job related and she has a lot of hairdresser clients with the same problem, Some times massage is quite painful but I do find it helps, maybe worth a try. Unfortunately I think it's just part of our job, I'm 31 now and noticing my back,fingers,and hands feel strained 2.

When I was pregnant I had terrible sciatic pain and I've struggled with it ever since. I have seen a chiropractor a few times and he showed me some great stretches, essentially deep lunges to the front back and either side. I also have a yoga class once or twice a week which again helps, I think it's essentially being as 'loose' as possible and for when none of them help, ask your doctor (if you haven't already) for some strong painkillers. Good luck!!
Just to add, I was also told to add orthopaedic insoles into my shoes as they naturally give you a better posture.

Good shoes are very important too. I have tried so many different types and eventually found a pair that had made me so much happier x

Thanks for all your advise ! I think the hair industry isn't made for people 6"6 like myself low basins and chairs contribute to bad backs, will try chiropractor i think

Crikey, that's some good genes in your family! 6,6 is almost a foot taller than me. I would concentrate on posture for sure!

Latest posts

Back