Anyone else sensitised by L&P?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboo

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently qualified as a Nail Tech and haven't been practicing all that much since Feb but I am finding that when I use the file to shape my nails or file them down to do a re-balance, the dust particles really irritate my skin, I become very itchy on my face, hands and arms (no rash though) and it is beginning to get quite uncomfortable.

I don't have any problems when applying L&P just when filing.

I always keep everything covered, change my towels and couch roll regularly in between manicure, applying the L&P and then the final stage. I'm really upset about this as I have read that once sensitisation starts it only gets worse! :sad:

I am trained in gel and fibreglass too but I enjoy L&P most and I find I product my best results with it! I'm worried that I might have to stop doing nails altogether! :cry:

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks

Boo x x

I can't really help you but just thought i'd mention this as it's quite funny.

I also thought I was having a reaction to products as I kept getting a rash all over my arms and face but when I really thought about it I realised this was unlikely. After some investigating I realised that I was getting the rash from brushing against the cardboard box some of my products were stored in.

Allergic to cardboard...only I could manage that!!!:lol:

If you had said your skin felt irritated after application and finishing then I would be worried. But when you are filing before a rebalance and reshaping? This is curious because the product wouldbe fully polymerized and there would be no unreacted product present to sensitize your skin.

I can understand you do not like the feeling of the dust and it is irritating but causing and irritation is another thing alltogether. No redness, no rash these are good signs that you are not suffereing from true sensitization.

You sound as if you take good precautions with the towel changing frequently etc. If you are very concerned, then I would have a quick wash before you begin the service after filing too.

You shouldn't be making too much dust during a rebalance unless you are getting allot of lifting. If you are then that is the problem I would tackle first.

Enhancements should only need light filing before a rebalance to make sure all edges are tight and the surface is clean ... nothing more is necessary. Not you in particular, but I get the sense in allot of posts that many of you do far too much filing before rebalances ... more than I would think would be necessary unless you are having other porblems.

Hi BooBoo

I too get a reaction on my hands that only seems to occur from the dust after filing. Red and itchy and my eczema has resurfaced on my hands. I don't rest my hands or wrist in monomor after wiping my brush, so I know its not the monomer in that liquid state.

I used to do silk wraps about 8 years ago and wonder if I had become over-sensitive way back then, so when I trained at CND earlier this year in L&P, it has resurfaced. I remember someone (very knowledgeable) on this site saying once you become sensitive, you will always be sensitive. Recommendations were to use a barrier cream or wear gloves for the filing bit.

There are quite a few threads on here on reactions, if you do a search.

A nightmare for a nail tech!

Hi there

I noticed that whenever I do any product filing it irritates the inside of my arms, makes them itch like made and come up red, and spotty. It's also very easy to touch your face and not realise your hands are covered in tiny particles. I had a few very dry patches on my face for a while.

Last time I wore long sleeves and my arms were fine, and I made a point of remembering to wash my hands afterwards, and not touch my face

Deb379

I had a similar prob, I got all swollen and red around my ears and my eyes and couldn't work out what it was - just suddenly started and I'd been doing nails for over a year at the time. Like you I was worried that it was down to a reaction to the product. One of my observent clients noticed that I had changed my hand sanitiser and that I quite often rubbed my face and ears with my hands. Voila eureka and hooray. that's what it was. Although my hands could cope with the stuff, when I rubbed my face the sanitiser was being transferred over and my tender young (lol that's a joke!)skin on my face couldn't. Switched back to my old brand and it all cleared up. So it may be something other than the dust!

booboo said:
Hi,

I have recently qualified as a Nail Tech and haven't been practicing all that much since Feb but I am finding that when I use the file to shape my nails or file them down to do a re-balance, the dust particles really irritate my skin, I become very itchy on my face, hands and arms (no rash though) and it is beginning to get quite uncomfortable.

I don't have any problems when applying L&P just when filing.

I always keep everything covered, change my towels and couch roll regularly in between manicure, applying the L&P and then the final stage. I'm really upset about this as I have read that once sensitisation starts it only gets worse! :sad:

I am trained in gel and fibreglass too but I enjoy L&P most and I find I product my best results with it! I'm worried that I might have to stop doing nails altogether! :cry:

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks

Boo x x
I have the same problem, breaking out in a rash almost like eczema, unless I wash my hand immediately after buffing a new set. If I know I will be doing more than one set of L&P in a row I put gloves on for the majority of the filing. (I cut the tips of the fingers off so I can still feel what I'm doing) It looks a little silly, but if it makes it possible to continue doing what I love, I'll do it.

Yep you guessed it........I also suffer from this itching, however I now just make sure I put a pair of gloves on when I'm carrying out this part of the procedure and this definitely seems to have made a difference.

Adele

Thank you all for taking the time to share your advice, I feel much more comforted now that there are ways to get round the problem and that I don't have to stop doing nails - not really even got started yet! :D

I've been practicing on my trusty nail trainer today after taking your advice and it was much better, much less itching - I was also aware that I do touch my face a lot so I am trying to stop that too!

Cheers x x

Latest posts

Back