Anyone ever had Glandular Fever???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looby4444

Reaction score
Hi

Ive been on and off with colds for the last month now, the usual swollen glands, tiredness, headaches, sniffles.

i went to the docs as my throat was i agony and swollen and they diagnosed me with pharangitus and gave me tablets. he also did a blood test which came back as low blood viscosity??

i took these and felt a bit better, but then my throat just swelled up again!! i was ok for a week or so but then i have come down with a cold and im snotty and ill and feeling crap. went back to the docs last night as he wanted to see me about the tests and now wants to give me another one for Glandular Fever.

i thought that GF made you really poorly...like bed bound? i do feel pretty rough and tired even tho ive been having early nights and would feel better in bed but theres loads of ppl off at work and dont want to leave them in the lurch, plus im not too bad and not one to have sick days for colds!!

just been reading the web and if it is GF, its really hard to get over and you can get depressed and stuff?? im really worried!

just split with my fiancee and tryin to be positive and get out and about, moving to my old house on friday from my mums...so trying to get up and about and not mope! but feel crappy! cant imagine having to stay in bed to rest for another 4 weeks, i just wanna feel better and have a good time! theres nothing worse than being stuck inside not seeing anyone when your fed up anyway!

has anyone had it and can give me some advice?

x

hiya sorry to hear your poorly babe.i hope you feel better soon and the doctors find out whats wrong.x

I havnt had it, but my brother did when he was 18, and boy was he ill - he couldnt move for 4 weeks without being in pain - your body aches from head to toe as it affects all the glands in your body! It can make you depressed as it is such a strain on your body to fight it off, like flu (only about 3000 times worse!)

Hope you feel better soon hun:hug: :hug:

ah cant be that then as im at work n stuff!

My 15 year old son had it 2 christmas ago and the symptoms were awful, all his get up and go had gone, he ached from head to toe, lethargic was an understatement. Even to the point where I wound myself up about it so much I was convinced he was on drugs and this was withdrawl. I have never been so happy for one of my kids to be told by a doctor what is wrong with them. I have promised never to doubt him again.
I hope you soon feel better.

Hi
Well I have been extremely poorly with a bad throat, ears, chest. Yesterday my g.p wanted to admitme to hospital for intravenous antibiotics. I refused go cos I have 2 children, and so he gave me some more antibiotics, and said if I am no better in 48 hrs, then I must go to hospital.
He didnt mention glandular fever, but its got me wondering.
My doctor was surprisingly very sympathetic. He said I must be feeling very poorly.
He said I have a secondary infection, which needs immediate teatment. He said its as bad as it can get.
All this week I have cried in agony with my throat, pains in my ears, and I also have a nasty chest infection. I have been to Lanzarote, and got the chest infection from there and have been ill ever since.
I also feel very down and depressed.
I am so looking forward to feeling well again. I have been a complete misery for the last couple of weeks.

Hope you get well soon.
xx

I havnt had it, but my brother did when he was 18, and boy was he ill - he couldnt move for 4 weeks without being in pain - your body aches from head to toe as it affects all the glands in your body! It can make you depressed as it is such a strain on your body to fight it off, like flu (only about 3000 times worse!)

Hope you feel better soon hun:hug: :hug:

my bro had it too at around that same age, he lost about 2 stone in weight with is aswell, cos he just couldn't eat, I remember it well, my bro's a big guy and to lose 2 stone in the space of a few weeks was terrifying for all of us.

Hiya!!!

I remember one of my friends had it wen they were younger (isn't it known as the kissing disease??) anyway, she was like what has been mentioned above!
But my boyfriend was ill with tiredness, sore throat etc for ages and I made him go to the doctors, I think the only way to rule out GF is to take a blood test. you should get it sorted chicken, you don't want to get any worse!!!

Good Luck!! hope you feel better soon.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree just get the blood test, that will tell you either way :hug:

Yes it is known as the kissing dissease but you don't have to be kissed to get it.
You can get it from sneezing.
My daughters (5 and 7...way too young for kissing) got it at the beginning of this year. Probably through sneezing in school.
They were not that sick of it...just very tired. The doctor just did a blood test to rule this out as a reason for my oldest being so tired all the time. To our surprise it was glandular fever.

It starts with a fever and what appears to be a severe throat infection. Then after that you stay tired and you can have a lot of different problems

Just go to the doctors and ask him/her for a blood test to be sure.

Hope you feel better soon

My youngest son at 22 yrs old (out of the normal age range for GF) had it a few years ago and although he was ill with headaches, sore throat, swollen galnds, tiredness etc I wouldnt say he was bedbound. He had bloods done that confirmed the GF and was lucky enough to just spend 3-4 weeks taking it easy and then gradually getting back to normal. I was really surprised at how easily and quickly he recovered as my friend had it years ago and was really ill for weeks and weeks and kept getting relapses too. I think different people get different degrees of illness with it so you could be very ill or like my son not so ill.

i have had it, about five years ago.
i was poorly for a week, i was really really tired all the time, couldn't eat or drink much, headache, ear ache, my throat was really swollen nearly closing and dis coloured it didn't know it was discoloured till the doctor came and said to me have you looked at your throat and passed me a mirror, my throat was black!!!!. i was amitted straight to hospital and put on a drip for three days, yeah thanks hate needles and this one they put in my hand was huge!!! i stayed in hospital for four days and then went home with i think half a chemist in a carrier bag!! drugs for this and that about 3 different mouth washes which tasted horrible!
anyway i fine now the only bad things is that it stays in your system forever, and its true if i get a cold or get run down its always give me a bad throat!!

i think writting that reply the other day has 'joaned' me, as i have had a bad throte for a couple of days now!! cheers

Heyaaa hun, I actually had gandular fever about 2years ago. I was 16, i noticed this big bump on the side of my neck...maybe the size of a mango seed. When i went to my doctor, he told me i would have to have blood tests, and it did result in glandular fever. He gave me a course of anti biotics, but like some of these girls have mentioned i was in bed for about 2weeks. Not so much pain at all, but then that relies particularly on the individual. Glandular fever is also known as the kissing desease, as the infection is spread through kissing. In some very rare cases glandular fever can also be caught from bacterial particles floating in the air! Hope you find this helpful!

Love Aysha xxx

Step-son had this about 2 years ago.......we took him to docs after his flu type symptoms would not go.......he advised a blood test and yes it was......

HE just was not allowed to do sports for 2 weeks and he was in bed ...really weak.....hope anyone who has it gets well soon......i know this is a old thread.....!!!!! xx

Hey SJ, you noticed too! I really do hope she's better by now as this thread ia about a year and a half old! LOL

I had glandular fever 2 years ago. My god was I ill. In bed for two weeks and took ages to recover, managing to pick up flu, colds, skin infections and all sorts afterward. Im still not 100% sometimes get tired quite easily, suffer with throat infections and neck glands swell if im under the weather. I guess like most things it effects different people in different ways. Ive heard others felt a little ill but nothing too bad.

Before I was diagnosed, for about 2 weeks before I didnt feel good. Tired and achey. Just didnt feel 'right'. My eyes also swelled up. The doctor thought I had a sinus infection so gave me anti biotics. Which didnt change anything and by this point I started to feel quite poorly. I was to believe with glandular, no medication as such will treat it, but help with the symptoms and fever. You just have to ride it out. x

My god ive just noticed how old this thread is! ah well.

hey hun, im actually just getting over glandular fever now. I got diagnosed with tonsilitis to start off with and then got gradually worse and then got taken to a and e by my dad and got admitted for 4 days. thats when they found out it was gf. I heard loads of horror stories about being bed bound etc. and i did need looking after for about a week but i think as long as you stay positive and give yourself something to focus on it really helps to get yourself better. i had 3 1/2 weeks off work in total and i think part of that was just to make sure that i didnt give it to anyone. cause apparently its quite contagious although my fella didnt get it. just look after yourself and while ur recovering keep away from anyone whos ill cause ur more likely to get it. hth x

Yes, I had GF as a teenager (kissing disease no doubt as boyf at the time already had the symptoms!) :irked:

I remember feeling extremely tired, lathargic, my joints aching, having a really bad back ache and being signed off work for about a month.

A blood test confirmed it though (as well as some horrible looking lumps and bumps on my elbows and ankles). :eek:

I'll cross my fingers that it's not GF that you have, but hope that you feel lots better soon :hug:

Latest posts

Back