anyone had equipment/products stolen or used??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren.

Reaction score
Hi, I have just passed a trade test at a salon and am planning to start setting things up next week but Im slightly worried about my products and equipment ie being stolen, used etc when im not there.

They have a desk set up at the front of the shop for me to use and also a room downstairs which I can use for pedicures. There is a cupboard behind the nail desk but this isnt lockable (the handles on it are round so I dont even think I could fit a padlock). This is a busy shop as it is a hair salon and beauty salon and is also open on a monday just for the sunbed and toning tables with just a receptionist there. As the room downstairs is lockable all my pedi stuff will be fine but im worried about all my things which will be upstairs on the shop floor - right by the front door!!!!

I would just like to know what problems any of you have had regarding products being used/stolen but mainly how you go about locking everything away at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance,

Lauren

I have bought a lockable filing cabinet for my colour stock. Clients have to go through my dispensary to the toilet, so this just eliminates any 'wandering' hands.

You can pick a small one up for about £40 in a stationers.

I got a lockable file cabenit from IKEA , its also good to keep your client cards in :)

If you can, try to lock up all your nails stuff with your pedicure stuff downstairs. Failing that you can either buy a large cosmetic case and take that with you everyday or get something that is heavy and lockable.

Also if you have shelf stock, make sure you check it regularly to see that nothing goes missing. I have had some self stock go missing on me.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for all replies....I was trying to avoid having to take things home at night tbh but I guess I would rather that than things go missing/get used. Im also worried about shelf stock - I think this obviously needs leaving out at all times from a retail point of view.....so yes it is worrying. Will def think about buying a lockable unit.

Thanks everyone

i had no end of problems with this when i rented above a hair salon. The salon was open mondays when i didnt work and people came upstairs alone to use the her sunbeds and i noticed jewellery going missing out of my display cabinet and nail polish from my stand. I started emptying it all into the treatment room and put a pad lock on the door which she went balistic about and demanded a spare key due to fire safety? not sure why as if it was locked noone was in there. Then my tinting equipment went missing out of my locked room!! i found it down stairs in the hair salon she had borrowed it because they had run out. it caused soo much trouble

I witnessed this where I used to go to get my hair done. The nail tech had everything in her desk. She wasn't working this day and one of the hair girls went into her desk and got her L&P out and fixed one of her own nails. I thought it was shocking behavior.

Last edited:
I know it is so worrying.....the lady who owns the shop says shes had spray tents and other things go missing in the past. The thing is I could have one of the lockable rooms downstairs completely for myself but I really like the idea of working by the window (this is where they have it set up at the moment) and dont fancy being 'shut away' downstairs all day.

The only thing i have ever had go missing was a Dermalogica product and i'm not exactly sure when but i think it was when i had left a client to get dressed after a treatment.

The hairdressers in my place are lovely and the only things they ever use are my tweezers, which they replace in my UV cabinet. They have permission to do this. If they ever want something else then they always ask first, but its only polish remover or a polish if they are going out. They do my hair for free and i do their waxing.

If you are not going to be there all the time, i would recommend putting them in your lockable cupboard or getting a lockable case like the others suggested.

You could also try to get lockable glass display cabinets for your retail stock or just keep one of each item on display and the rest in a filing cabinet to stop theives.

we keep empty boxes on display now as for £60-100 products where getting stolen by clients.

Def get your stuff locked up. Start as you mean to go on. I have had products stolen from staff and clients. It's usually the one's you'd least expect it. Totally eats in to your profits and makes you not trust anyone.

xxxx

Get a lockable filing cabinet from staples, mine is a two draw one the top draw has all my client cards in it and the bottom one got all my products etc tucked away. I always think that looks so much tidier at the end of the day. Just a clean work space with a photo frame on the top with price list and phone number. It saves all the arguments. And yes, you should be in the window, if you are tucked away down stairs most people won't realise you are there, no matter how many posters you put up in the window.:hug:

Latest posts

Back