Anyone here do their own nail extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkChampagne

Reaction score
Does anyone apply their own nail extensions? Is it possible to do so? :)

Hello

I have always done my own. I have to be more careful with my right hand as I am right handed but they always look okay afterwards xxx

It must be tricky to do?

I do my own when I have time - being a mum of 4 and just starting my mobile business it's not as often as it should be tbh.

I dont have a set on at the moment but my nails are quite nice naturally so I think I get away with it and it helps that at the moment I'm not offering nails as one of my treatments - once I start doing nails I'll be trying very hard to always have my nails done either with nno or minx etc so that I'm promoting my work. Best way to advertise yourself is to show off you abilities.

I dont find it too hard to do my own nails, I just take my time and I do the dominant hand first (so as I'm right handed I use my left to do the right hand first). This means I get the harder hand done first. I use gel so as long as I take my time I find I can create almost as well with my left hand as I do with my right.

I have done my own nails in L&P for years, it just takes practice hun. My left hand is always good sometimes my right hand needs a bit of file work to refine, (i'm right handed). It is my best advertisement for new clients, Bank, Supermarket,
Petshop etc., If anyone comments on my nails i give them a card, even the men! lol If they say they don't want it i tell them to give it to their girlfriend or mum, then say goodbye quickly, they always give it to someone just to get rid of it.

The only problem i have is infilling my right hand - i always manage to damage my nail plate (so not good), I now remove the right hand and re apply when needing infills.

My nails do not grow very fast though so i can go 4 weeks without needing an infill.
Never tried with Gel's though, i supply them as a service but i find L&P easier to control.

Try it hun you can always soak them off again. Have fun :)

I have always done my own.
Everyone always says they look great, but I can always see some 'flaws' on my Right (or wrong, LOL) hand since I'm not ambi-dextrous.

But as I figure it, the better that you get at doing your own, the better you'll be able to do other people's nails because it's always hardest to do your own.

There's always poppits if you REALLY struggle :green:

oh i always do my own.. i would never pay anyone else to touch my nails when i know they'll never be as i want! or incase they look pop!!
they are a advertisment and i always get people asking about them. especially as i wear very acentric sculpted stiletto nails, i too give a card to anyone who notices them.. its a great way of advertising.
I also find it good practise to make me use my other hand more. just in case needed.. as i do get RSI in my filing wrist sometimes.

have a go as practise make perfect. I wil admit that i have to do more file work on the HARD hand but i love the finished look and enjoy a challenge.

good luck x

Tee hee I always wondered when I started how will I ever be good at my right hand...truth is practise them and each time its better and a little easier.

Like Vhunter says I can always spot the weak points on my right hand but clients dont seem to notice.

I like to trial things out on myself before I offer them....I went to a party recently and was wearing a black top with gorgeous lace around the neck....so I bought some lace and did an encapsulated black lace set.

Looked great but was a pest to do...took me hrs and hrs but I learnt from it and had fun!

Honestly now I shellac mine....takes no time at all and is easy to maintain when times an issue.

I love shellac! :lol:

I do my own, I used to use tips but I find now sculpting (using reverse application) works fab! and if I find something new ie technique or playing with glitters etc, I will always do it on me before using my victims!!!!

xxxxxxxxx

I've done my own. Only tipped, not sculpted yet.

Done two tonight actually, but on my easy hand. Two nails broke so I've applied tips and shellac.

I'd love to do mine more often, but I have to stick to good old Negligee whilst I'm at college. Over summer I'll be sure to jazz them up a bit! x

I always do my own, i make them as good as possible as im advertising my work. I find stiletto nails the most comfortable to wear for some reason lol.

I ALWAYS do my own, I let one girl do my nails at the salon i used to work at and she cut me on ever single finger :eek: and they looked awful so i've never let anyone else touch them since.
I tend to find my right hand (I am right handed) looks better, maybe its because i am concentrating more :lol:

I ALWAYS do my own, I let one girl do my nails at the salon i used to work at and she cut me on ever single finger :eek: and they looked awful so i've never let anyone else touch them since.
I tend to find my right hand (I am right handed) looks better, maybe its because i am concentrating more :lol:
Tell me about it! when I let someone else do mine, she cut me, damaged my nail and looking back she didnt even do a client consultation!!

I have always done my own also. :) Great way to advertise my business as people always comment on my nails. I'm loving the glitter look lately so mine are very sparkley at the moment:) Is a bit tricky to begin with when you start doing your own, but with practice you'll get better. I love my nails and think it's important for them to always look good. I don't feel dressed if my nails are'nt done.:)

Nearly always do my own, sometimes I get Angel fingers to do them for me but that's because she's great at the art side.
But other wise yep, I do my wrong hand first, it takes me twice as long to do it as the other hand, but you are a walking advert so do you want to advertise your work or someone elses:lol:

Yes, I do my own. I like to try new ideas, which usually means a soak off for a new set and that's the bit I dislike the most. I don't particularly enjoy doing my 'Wrong' hand, but it does get easier with time.

I don't always do complete sets of anything, as I'm invariably eager to experiment, and I rarely do a French on said 'Wrong' hand. I have all sorts of examples of stuff saved on my computer and I rifle through it when I'm deciding what to have next.

I can always pick fault with something or other, but others don't usually seem to notice and I get a kick out of people asking where I had them done. I don't actually work as a nail tech, you see, and so I take that to mean they're salon standard and not a DIY botch up!! :lol:

I do since discovering Popits! Sculpt a nail into a popit and apply! Simple, quick and amazing! No more awkward application to non dominant hand, and I love the perfect finish with no need for file finishing. Brilliant 

I do since discovering Popits! Sculpt a nail into a popit and apply! Simple, quick and amazing! No more awkward application to non dominant hand, and I love the perfect finish with no need for file finishing. Brilliant 
popits are fantastic, i use them sometimes too:)

I do my own too but I do find doing my right hand harder& need to be extra careful when filing.

Tell me about it! when I let someone else do mine, she cut me, damaged my nail and looking back she didnt even do a client consultation!!

THAT is how my life as a Nail tech began! LOL I was tired of paying someone else to hurt me, THEN I'd go home and 'straighten' things out LOL

I have always done my own also. :) Great way to advertise my business as people always comment on my nails. I'm loving the glitter look lately so mine are very sparkley at the moment:) Is a bit tricky to begin with when you start doing your own, but with practice you'll get better. I love my nails and think it's important for them to always look good. I don't feel dressed if my nails are'nt done.:)

Ditto! No better way to promote yourself than being out and about with killer nails, I always end up passing out my card at the grocery store, gas stations, etc LOL
What's funnier still is when I'm at a drive-thru, and I'm handing them the money, then WHOOPS, I feel a tug and I have the car window digging into my armpit because they've tugged my hand in for a closer look LMFAO

One client even suffered worse. She was getting an MRI done on her bosoms, and after it was done, just after she got up; one of the techs grabbed a hand. THEN the other tech on her other side grabbed the other hand. There she was, her bosom on display for the guy behind the window at the controls (she hadn't had the chance to close her gown yet) and a tech standing on either side of her, holding her hands hostage while inspecting her nails
hehehehehe I cried until I had to pee, I was laughing so hard when she told me.

Latest posts

Back